Diabetes Prevention & Pre-Diabetes Community
HI NEW

80 million Americans suffer from pre-diabetes, a condition accompanying patients with blood glucose level above 101 mg/dl but below the diabetes marker of 125 mg/dl. Communicate with other pre-diabetic members on how to prevent diabetes through nutrition management, exercise, and other treatments.

HI NEW

I am 70 and never was a sweet eater. Great shape and no pills six feet tall 180 pounds most of my life.
Had exam and mt AIC test was 6.0 for the last six months. Sugar was 124 after fasting.
I don't know much about this stuff and DR said just come back and test again in three months

I have cut way back on sugar and carbs. Any advise?
Your A1c verified your fasting level of 124 mg/dl, right at the borderline for diabetes [126 mg/dl]. The 3 month follow up testing will be another A1c as the A1c looks back at your blood sugars for the past 3 months. You want it <5% although some doctors accept up to 5.7%.

Your BMI is 24.4 at the upper range of normal. At 160 lbs your BMI would be 21.7, smack dab in the middle of normal [18.5 - 24.9]. Shedding a few pounds will help lower your blood sugars. And then....

"I have cut way back on sugar and carbs. Any advise?"
This is kind of a general statement as you didn't mention how much you cut back. It is, however, a very good start. First step is to eliminate sugar completely from your diet. Instead, use alternative sweeteners like Splenda or Stevia. Next is cutting way back on carbs. Use Google to understand the difference between simple and complex carbs. The latter is good for you. You do need some carbs in your body for energy. So pay attention to portion sizes. If you go too low on carbs your skin will start to stink like ammonia so watch this carefully. The last key is exercise. Exercise helps burn off excess sugar. You want to do 30-60 minutes of exercise daily or at least 5 times a week. Walking at a good pace really burns off excess
sugars. Good luck -

Last and foremost is your home glucose [blood sugar] test meter. If you don't have they are available at Walgreens or Wal*Mart for under $15. Carefully read the instructions, the do's and don'ts. You want to test at
1.] Fasting, first thing in morning b4 eating or drinking any colored liquids.
2.] Preprandial, b4 a meal for a baseline measurement
3.] Postprandial, 2-3 hrs after a meal. Compare against preprandial results. This will tell how the foods you ate affected your blood sugars. Avoid those that do.

sugars. Good luck -

Thanks!! I got more from U than the Dr.

I have always been fit and worked a lot on my property. This thing has come up during this year that we sold our home and moved into a smaller less physical home. Why I don't know. Anyway I swim 5 days a week and have gone from 186lbs to 180lbs.

I look at the sugar content of everything. We are buying sugar free stuff and most of it is good.
I am eating more fruit [guess that is good] and salads now. Back to eating steaks once a week and things like that.

I will read up on the good and bad carbs thanks for that.

I think this happened because for some reason we got into eating pies,chips and all that stuff so I'm hoping if I get back to myself and pick up my exercise thing will return to normal.
Thanks again
"I look at the sugar content of everything."

When reading nutrition labels pay close attention to sugars listed under carbohydrates. They list the amount as grams. Kinda misleading as folks don't realize every 7 grams equals one heaping tablespoon of refined sugar. For example, one 8 oz glass of dairy milk may contain upwards of 12 grams of sugar. That alone will light you up.

Fruit contains fructose, fruit sugar. Eat fruits with other foods to slow the absorption of fructose. Avoid tropical fruits like pineapple, guava, mangoes, etc as these have high fructose levels. Melons and berries are low on the list. And, no dried fruits like apricots or raisins.

I use this web site often to see nutritional values on foods. It provides an in-depth look beyond what labels provide and has become an invaluable tool.   http://nutritiondata.self.com/

I feel your doctor's experience was a wake-up call. You know what you need to do so keep up the good work.
Remember to test, test, test. Good luck -
I have been reading about the Gl Load and Gi index seems to me if I stay under the 19 on the load I should be ok. under 10 is great but unattainable.
Under 55 id good on the index if I have all this right.

They show ice cream as not to bad [gi 57 gl 6] how is that?
"They show ice cream as not to bad [gi 57 gl 6] how is that?"

I used to be keen on the GI but found it has faults.The GI may list low carb ice cream as being OK, but the GI does not take into account carb sugars. Why this is is beyond me. This I do know, Ice cream may have upwards of 40 grams of carb sugar per 3/4 cup. Not something you want.
My wife found sugar free ice cream,its  not bad. Also sugar free jello pudding, the cooked type. Not many carbs also.

I really don't eat much sweets anyway but do like a snack at night. I am trying, thanks for your help.
I have seen sugar free Jello. What is the name/brand of the sugar free ice cream?
Edy's
Slow Churned,NO sugar added!!
Sugar=3g
Carbs=15g yikes!!
fiber=2g
sugar alcohol=4g what is that?
Also 1/2 the fat

Doesn't sound as good now I read the label. Thoughts?
Dreyer's Grand makes Edy's. Whenever you see on the label "No Sugar Added" it means no sugar added to the included sugar, which you list as 3 grams. That is enough to turn me away. Look for "Sugar Free" products.

Sugar alcohols are usually used with an artificial sweetener to enhance sweetness of foods. Consumption of sugar alcohols does affect blood sugar levels, but in small amounts does little to elevate blood sugars mainly due to them not being digestible. That being said, as with most nondigestible food sources, sugar alcohols may also cause bloating and diarrhea when consumed in excessive amount. This amount may vary by each person. HTH

I can see this is going to take some time. Ay any rate I know i have cut my intake in half if not more.
As I have said I am not over weight so I have to at least maintain my weight. I don't want to waste away to 160lbs etc.
Need some help.
As my post said I was told I had high blood sugar. Well I have been eliminating all sugar from my diet for about three weeks. Lost 10 lbs. I just got a blood sugar tester and it is 57!!!! @ 9Pm at night. I will check it in the morning fasting. have I over done it?? Should I start eating? I guess I will see the Dr asap.
"I just got a blood sugar tester and it is 57!!!! @ 9Pm at night."

These can affect test results:
Does your meter calibrate to test strips?
Was the test area cleaned with an alcohol swab or with soap and water prior to testing?

Name/brand of meter?

Test at bedtime then first thing in morning [fasting].
Yes to all your questions. I got the latest FreeStyle [Freedom Lite]
I just took it this morning after 12 hour fasting and it is 102. That is sure better than the 124 I was when the DR told me I was pre diabetic. My A1C was holding at 6.0  so I am hoping if this stays low today after eating I might beat this thing.

I am just beginning this testing thing.  When is the best time to check it? As I said I am not diabetic so I don't want to go nuts on checking it. I thing the Dr said once a day.
Thanks so much
My A1C was holding at 6.0  so I am hoping if this stays low today after eating I might beat this thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I meant I hope the daily blood test stay good. I will go to the DR in a month for another A1C

Are U in the US?
"When is the best time to check it? As I said I am not diabetic so I don't want to go nuts on checking it."

Fasting 102 mg/dl is considered prediabetes but just a tad bit above normal.

Until you reign in the reason for your elevated blood sugars one should test at the following times:

Fasting - first thing in morning b4 eating or drinking colored liquids. Plain water is OK. Provides an insight whether your liver is dumping excess glycogen.
Preprandial - B4 meals. This provides an baseline measurement to compare against postprandial. You want to be at normal levels - 60/70 to 99 mg/dl.
Postprandial - 2-3 hrs after a meal. Compare against preprandial. If your blood sugars are elevated the foods you ate are the problem source.
Bedtime - Do not eat or drink colored liquids 2-3 hrs b4 bedtime. You do not want to go to sleep with high levels. If you do it means you are spending 1/3 of your day with above normal levels.

As time progresses you will get better control and learn how to manage your blood sugars. Testing will decrease, some eliminated altogether.

An A1c of 6% equates to a daily blood sugar level of 125 mg/dl, prediabetes. Diabetes starts at 6.01% or 126 mg/dl. Because of age factors doctors may allow up to 5.7 and even 6%. Discuss values when you see him next. My doc allows email for updates and basic questions - eliminates doctors office payments.

Did you know you can purchase an A1c test meter OTC?
As always, WR has provided you excellent advice.

I wouldn't worry about getting an A1C meter for home use at this point.  Mainly because you're so new to this as it is, and you're finding your way through the home testing and nutritional management.  Adding home A1C testinfg may just be too much, plus it isn't really necessary  Getting your A1C checked through your doctor once a year, or every 6 months or so is sufficient, IMO.

Always make sure you're following your doctor's recommendations for testing at home too.  WR gave you a super explanation of when to test and why, but your doc may have slightly different instructions for you.  You may not need to be testing quite so much presently.

Finally, be careful with the nutritional restrictions.  The last thing you want to do is overdo it by restricting SO much that you end up becoming hypoglycemic.  Pay close attention to how WR explains the difference between the various kinds of sugars and carbs.  

You're numbers aren't all that alarming to indicate an overly aggressive approach at this point.  There IS such a thing as overkill.  Just be sure you are communicating your concerns and questions with your doctor.  If the dietary stuff is a bit confusing, you can always ask your doc for a referral to a nutritionist who can sit down and help you devise healthy eating habits, and better educate you about the "dos" and "don'ts" when it comes to  diabetic dietary considerations.  

Like WR suggested, find out if e-mail is an acceptable way to communicate with your doc.  That can be very helpful, as the doc can answer at his leisure, and you can always go back and refer to the info, instead of trying to remember what he said.

You're definitely on the right track...keep up the great work!!
finally, be careful with the nutritional restrictions.  The last thing you want to do is overdo it by restricting SO much that you end up becoming hypoglycemic
=======================================================
This is what I am worried about. I have eliminated ALL sugar and most CARBS. I believe I have over done it. I eat lunch [sandwich, couple chips] then took my blood 2 hours latter. It read 116 at 1pm. I have to get to the DR He isn't concerned that much I think I might be running this thing to much.
Anyway it at 3pm had another sandwich and treated myself to a few fries. I am going to see what it reads after 2 hours. Is this what I should be doing? I am curious and want to see what my body is doing.
Hey, thanks for the help
Definitely need to discuss all of this with your doc.  He'll tell you how aggressive he thinks you should be.  Like I said, your values aren't HORRIBLY worrisome to begin with.  I think you just went a bit overboard with the diet.  

You do not need to be checking it 2 hours after each meal.  Typically, a diabetic will test 4 times a day.  First thing in the morning for the fasting, before each meal, and at bedtime.  Your doc may be interested in the postprandial values (2 hours after), but it is not necessary to do it after EACH meal.  

This is why you need guidance from the doc, instead of trying to navigate this yourself.  

All that being said...the one time you DO want to check your sugar, regardless of what time of the day it is...is if you start feeling funny...sweaty, out of it, lightheaded.  Ask your doc to dicsuss with you ways to handle hypoglycemia if it occurs (low sugar, usually below 60, but everyone is different as to at what level they get symptomatic).  

Typically, if you're symptomatic and find your sugar is low, you should take a glucose tablet (or something high in sugar), then follow up with something a bit heartier (like a sandwich, to keep the sugar up).  That's just very very basic info.  Again, another thing to discuss with your doc.  Start making a list of your questions and concerns.

It will be okay...it's a LOT of info to digest all at once.  It's overwhelming.
I have to disagree with nursegirl. Until you get your nutrition plan down you do need to test after each meal. How else are you going to know about foods you eat and how they affect your levels? This takes time and doesn't happen overnight. If you need assistance ask to be referred to a dietician or nutritionist. At least use the nutrition data link I posted earlier.

If your preprandial was at normal levels b4 you ate the sandwich it's the bread and/or whatever you put in that sandwich which elevated your levels. Did you carefully read the nutrition labels?

Take your time and follow the guidelines for preventing diabetes. Go here and read about it. You can also listen to the audio text as you do something else. http://tinyurl.com/diabetes-prevention-audio

btw, french fries are not considered a treat. The starch in potatoes quickly turns into sugar.
Point is, WR, I think he should be letting his DOCTOR guide him on home testing, etc.  I didn't tell him NOT to test after meals, I suggested he clarify with his doctor and said I didn't think he should be testing after each and every meal.  

You've given him some awesome info, but he's overwhelmed, and frankly, I think going a bit overboard.  He went from his prior diet to cutting out EVERY sugar.  Then, to recommend a home A1C meter was making me nervous.  I didn't want to see him even MORE confused, and for a newly diagnosed patient, I just think that's overkill.  

I think he needs to find out exactly how frequently and when the doc is wanting him to test, and if needed, he can ask for a dietary consult to help him start navigating the nutritional aspect.  Of course I'm sure he knows french fires are probably not a great "treat", but you HAVE to be a little reasonable here, this is real life, Wave.  If a person deprives themself of every food they crave, instead of two french fries, they'll end up eating 3 happy meals, ya know?  I'm, SURE you realize that!  Not everyone is as structured as you, wish we were, lol!  I like to give advice that is factual, but also reasonable, and it is not reaonsable to think a person is going to give up all of their favorite foods, forever.

Bottom line...we're not his doctors.  He needs the input of his at this point I think, to be able to proceed knowing he's follwing the plan the doc wants him too.
thanks to both of you you are very helpful.
I called my Doc and the office ordered the tester and the strips etc. save me some $$ by doing it that way. On the script it said test once a day fasting and once a day free standing blood sugar [what ever that is].

I gave the numbers yesterday so just for info after eating kind of normal yesterday my fasting this morning was 104.
Looking back on all this because of a move and some unhappiness we were eating to many sweets. Ice cream pies,chips etc. Teh only unexplained thing is I seem to have Np a little. Maybe nerves I don't like having anything wrong. To many years of perfect health. I guess @ 70 I better get use to it.
Thanks again
The free standing glucose is probably just a random check, at a time of day of your choosing.  It can probably vary from day to day (which would actually be good, to test at different times).  To clarify, ask your doc.

I'm glad you got specific instructions.  That's going to help take some of the guess work out of this for you.

Don't be too hard on yourself.  Eating sweets will not CAUSE diabetes, it's a bit more complicated than that.  Could be a result of getting older, if you are overweight, that would be a factor, and having a family history would factor in as well.

You're on the right track, which is what is so important.  When do you have to go see your doc again?
see my pm
Got it and replied, thanks
Yup, I think I will solve this. As I said I think this is the result of bad eating on my part. I have never been over weight and take zero meds. Since this popped up I have gone from 187lbs to 179lbs. Feel good so now with my fasting down to almost high normal I will realize I am indeed getting older and watch what I do.
Thanks to both of you,you truly have been a valuable resource. I'll keep you posted.
As far as the DR. I will good next month. That will be three month so I should get one of those A1c test. Hope it is down in the 5s.

I am amazed how this has me all shook up [to quote Elvis] this is the first internal thing other that a few cuts, bones and all the stuff life throws at you if your active. I'll beat it though!!!
You've done an amazing job! Just losing those couple pounds makes a difference!  That's super.

Glad we could help...stop by and update us...let us know how you're doing!
Me again. Well I finally figured out the right way to test. I could not get the darn thing to work with all sorts of blood on it. Come to find out there are two little half circles [black] on the testing end. You are only suppose to use ONE!!  In other words, come at it from the side. Would have been nice if the pic showed that.

Anyway, got 113 fasting this morning and get this, I got 96 three hours after a meal I eat at 13;45.  I tested at 16:45  could not test at the two hour mark no time. Isn't that 96 low for that time of day? I am going to try tomorrow to get a two hour test after a good lunch. I am running out of this thread sorry for the long posts.
The glucose meters available today are actually MUCH less confusing than they used to be, but they still can be a bit difficult to understand when you're new to it.

I'm glad you've figured out the proper way to use it.  That will definitely make your results more accurate.

The fasting was a little high.  Are you testing twice daily like your doctor recommended?  Why not ask your doctor when he thinks the best times, in addition to the fasting level...he would like you to test?

Since you're new to this, checking your fasting level, one postprandial level, and maybe one other time during the day would be appropriate.  Ask your doc what he thinks.  Let us know!

The purpose of testing should be to know what your fasting blood sugars are (this is a good way to monitor general progress for many with pre or overt diabetes) and 2 hours after eating, to see how a certain food affected you and then you can use this information to change your diet and select appropriate foods.

Just for reference, truely normal blood sugars are very close to about 84 and would rarely go above 100, regardless of what you ate.  Your 96 is not too low.  It is actually ok.  Truely normal HBA1Cs are in the range of about 4.3 - 4.6.  Above this should be watched and reacted to primarily with diet and lifestyle measures.

Many doctors don't get concerned if their patients sugars are less than 120, others don't get concerned until numbers reach 180.  There is a very wide range of approaches.

WR and I both take the view that it is important to get blood sugars as close to normal as possible.  A blood sugar test kit is the tool that lets us know how different foods affect us.

NG takes a bit more of a lenient approach and is not so concerned with the levels you report, which according to the standard medical establishment are not really a concern.

You will have to decide which approach you prefer.  Read up!

Your higher fasting numbers may mean something called dawn phenomenon.  It is quite common in persons with diabetes and happens when the liver dumps glucose during the overnight fast.  

You may discuss with your doctor starting on a low dose of metformin to help with this.  Metformin reduces insulin resistance.  Exercise and weight loss also help with insulin resistance.

Regardless prediabetes, or early diabetes, is manageable.  Sounds like you are wellon teh right track.
Thanks for your input!  Great info!  :0)
Thanks for the input.  Here are my last five fasting days numbers,103, 104, 102, 97,104

The 97 was the morning after I went to a party and had three beers. Could I have found a CURE for this thing;  BEER?

All I have done is change the crazy eating habit I got into with all the deserts and watch my sugar. Also I do not have any of those sharp pains in my feet that I was getting.

I will keep you informed thanks for your expertize you folks are great.
Yes, you found the cure!  BEER!  LOL...If only, huh?

Make sure you're limiting your alcohol intake as much as you can.  Here is some very basic facts about alcohol and diabetes:

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/alcohol.html

Fasting numbers could be better, just keep working on it, you're trying, and that's great!  Sounds like you already are feeling better with the changes you have made, that's super!
Ick..grammar...Here *are* some basic facts......
======================================================
Ahhh, a perfectionist!! Good for you. I want a nurse like you.
LMAO....my friends have coined a nickname for me because I'm a stickler about grammar and spelling.  Lately, though, I've noticed I'm slipping.  :0(  Lots nof typos and grammatical errors.  Boo, I'm getting old.  ;0)

Alcohol can reduce your blood sugars because it has a suppressive effect on your liver (the liver is too busy detoxing the alcohol to be bothered spitting out sugar).  

As long as you are not taking insulin (in which case alcohol can cause hypos and unpredicatable blood sugars), an occassional drink or two should be fine - though do avoid sweetened drinks which can still add unnecessarily to blood sugar rises.

I do take insulin. However, when I drink alcohol, my blood sugars will be much lower than usual compared to normal response without alcholol.  Still not an excuse to drink much. ;)

Need some guidance. Take my blood every morning fasting test when I first get up. I am using a Free Style Lite and on average get a reading of between 102 and 105. So today I set up the stuff then go wash my hands [hot water and soap] make sure they are dry then insert strip and test. I get a reading of 94 so I say lets do it again and put another strip in, use the same puncture hole and get a reading of 99. I am now not happy so I go back to the bathroom quickly rince my finger [no soap] and come with the same hole but new blood and get a reading of 104! Ghezz whats up with this thing?

Next question:

The two hour after meal test. Should that be two hours AFTER the meal or two hours after FIRST starting the meal?  I have seen it both ways

Thanks a lot
For one, the glucose readings will always vary to an extent.

Have you CAREFULLY read the instructions that come with your meter?  Does it require calibration?  That's usually done with vials of a test solution to ensure that the meter is calibrated within the limits of the "low" and "high" range.  You have to be sure you're doing that, per the instructions.

Also, you always want to wash your hands before and after testing, and the machine itself should be wiped down (usually with acohol, or other recommended solution), at least every coupe days...daily is optimal.  Be sure you are stoering the meter in its case, not just lying around to collect dust, and avoid keeping it where there is a chance of it being exposed to extreme temps or sunlight (ie on a window sill).

You should use an alcohol wipe on your finger before using the lancet to obtain the sample.  Make sure the alcohol on your finger is dry before poking it with the lancet.  You can let it air dry, or wipe it off with a guaze pad (avilable OTC in any Pharmacy, first aid section, 2x2 size is sufficient).

The variations are probably a combination of the normal fluctuatation you would see, and user issues with the meter.

The postprandial glucose reading is typically taken 2 hours after a meal is completed.  If you finish dinner at 6:20, test at 8:20, or as close to that time as you can.

Try to resist the urge to test multiple times at the same time to see what results you're getting, because like I said, you are always going to see a level of fluctuation, it's not like it's going to be, say, "98" every time.  You may get one that is 98, then a 95, then a 101.  That's normal.  The more accurately you are using the meter and the more stringent you are about the testing process, the more accurate and consistent your values will be.
One more tip, for the sake of your fingers, always rotate the site.  If your meter uses blood obtained from fingers, you can use the tips of the fingers, and the sides of the top of your finger.
Well its been awhile so I will bring you up to date.Have been really watching my sugar and carbs. and believe I have turned back this pre-diabetes thing.

My morning tests have gone from around 113/110 to now 99/90 and sometimes as low as 85. I am going to get an A1C next month and expect that to show no problem with sugar. I think my problem was simply bad eating short term as I never did have bad habits until last year. Anyway thanks for your help I will post my A1C when I get it and as usual if you have comment or suggestions they are always welcome.
Wow, sounds great!  Good for you!  Can't wait to see what your A1c is!  Thanks for the update!!
Need some help in understanding this morning test. I test with a "Freestyle Freedom Lite" As you can see by my thread I feel I have it under control however my numbers are no consistent.

I am usually between high 90s and low 100s. I take it in the morning usually 10 hr. after last meal and within an hour of getting up.. The numbers move around all the time though.
Example I took it the other day and it read  115 I then retook it and it read 98  
Then a few days later got a 91 wow good. Four days later got a 124 retook it two minuets later got 107 more like my normal.

What's up with this stuff? My wife who is normal her numbers also jump around from low 80s to mid 90s.
Is this normal?

I wash my hands,dry them completely then set up the pricker and the strip. Any thoughts?
PS I need to get a A1c I know.

there is an error margin on the home test meter.  The variability reflects the meter rather than your blood sugars jumping around.  Some meters are more inaccurate than others.  Looks like yours is have about 15% variability, which is not so good (but 5 - 10% variability seems pretty standard).

Look at the general pattern and direction and use the numbers as an indication.

What you ate the day before can also affect readings the next morning.  I find if I eat carbs at night my next morning reading is also higher.