Diabetes: Type I Expert Forum
Summer Holidays and diabetes

Summer Holidays and diabetes

I've just returned from holiday and had a couple of instances where my blood sugar went to high and I felt really ill.  On one occassion we'd been for a long walk so at lunchtime we had a sandwich made from a large baguette plus a glass of sangria.  I felt really sleepy so went for a lie down and slept for 2 hours - when I woke I still felt extremely drowsy and a blood sugar test found it to be 18.4.  Once I had some insulin I felt fine - but normally this is something I usually only take after my evening meal.  On another day we stopped mid way on our morning walk and had a full english breakfast.  I only ordered a small but as they brought a large one I ate it - and regretted it afterwards as I felt sick and drowsy for sometime afterwards.  As I do not carry my insulin with me in the sun we just walked it off, although I did have to keep stopping for a sit down and a drink of water.  After this I was careful not to eat too much, drink sangria and I banned myself from having any ice creams at all.  This kind of spoilt my holiday a bit as I feel that for one week I should be able to have a drink in the afternoon or an ice cream without feeling ill.

Any suggestions on how i can make this easier to bear?
If I understand you correctly, you only take rapid-acting insulin at dinnertime?  If that is the case, maybe it's time to discuss a change with your doctor.  Taking rapid insulin at each meal would open up a world of opportunity and flexibility for you.  By learning to count the grams of carbohydrate in your meals/snacks and matching it to an appropriate dose of insulin, you can enjoy the occasional treat and still keep your blood sugar in-range.