Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Summer Holidays and diabetes

I've just returned from holiday and had a couple of instances where my blood sugar went to high and I felt really ill.  On one occassion we'd been for a long walk so at lunchtime we had a sandwich made from a large baguette plus a glass of sangria.  I felt really sleepy so went for a lie down and slept for 2 hours - when I woke I still felt extremely drowsy and a blood sugar test found it to be 18.4.  Once I had some insulin I felt fine - but normally this is something I usually only take after my evening meal.  On another day we stopped mid way on our morning walk and had a full english breakfast.  I only ordered a small but as they brought a large one I ate it - and regretted it afterwards as I felt sick and drowsy for sometime afterwards.  As I do not carry my insulin with me in the sun we just walked it off, although I did have to keep stopping for a sit down and a drink of water.  After this I was careful not to eat too much, drink sangria and I banned myself from having any ice creams at all.  This kind of spoilt my holiday a bit as I feel that for one week I should be able to have a drink in the afternoon or an ice cream without feeling ill.

Any suggestions on how i can make this easier to bear?
4940325_tn?1363038957
If I understand you correctly, you only take rapid-acting insulin at dinnertime?  If that is the case, maybe it's time to discuss a change with your doctor.  Taking rapid insulin at each meal would open up a world of opportunity and flexibility for you.  By learning to count the grams of carbohydrate in your meals/snacks and matching it to an appropriate dose of insulin, you can enjoy the occasional treat and still keep your blood sugar in-range.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
4940325_tn?1363038957
Gary Scheiner, MS, CDEBlank
Integrated Diabetes Services LLC
Wynnewood, PA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now