Diabetes Expert Forum
can you have a negative false test

Questions in the Diabetes forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include Type 2 Diabetes, blood glucose monitoring, diabetes and heart disease, diabetes and pneumonia, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and vision problems, diabetes and wound healing, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and insulin.

can you have a negative false test

I was wondering a few thins. My paternal gramother was in her late 60's early 70's when she was told she had diabetes. My dad was diagnosed in his late 50's with it. I am 37. I can't say that I am thirsty all of the time, but I have to urinate all of the time. I have had a full test to see if my bladder was okay  and had test for other things. I have Neurofibromatosis type 1. From what I understand NF can mimic many diseases, like diabetes and thyroid. I am too tired to function many days and my bp is usually low 90/54 -95/63. both thyroid and diabetes run in the family (lucky us) anyway, my 3 questions are should I be tested for diabetes, even though I have no real symptoms, can a genetic test be done to see if I can am at risk of getting it? Finally, can you have blood work done, fasting of course, and have it come back being a false negative
Thank you so much for all of your input
Michelle
I do think you should be screened for diabetes given your symptoms and family history, as well as your having NF1. There is no specific genetic test for type 2 diabetes at this time, but for consideration of Type 1 diabetes(which I do not think you are very high risk of getting) antibodies to GAD and Islet cells can be checked. The accepted ways of screening for diabetes are a fasting glucose, a random glucose(not as good) or a 2 hour glucose tolerance test. A HgB A1C is sometimes used by doctors but it is not widely accepted as a good screening measure, so I suggest a fasting or an OGTT.
You should also have a thyroid screen(TSH) done.
Fasting glucose is not perfect, so yes you can have a "false negative" in terms of saying you have no abnormalities in glucose handling. A small percentage of folks will test positive and negative just a day apart using this test--this is the problem with using one number as a cut-off. If you are concerned, a 2 hour glucose test(also not perfect) can also be used to determine not only fasting but also glucose challenge results.
Hope this helps.
take care.
Yes there are two tests that can be done to test for diabetes.

First is A1c.  This tests % of sugar in your blood over an extended period of time being approximately 3 months.  It is a simple blood test and can be done by any Dr.  and I believe that you can buy a home test kit at any pharmacy to do it yourself.  Though I think if you go this route you have to sent the sample to a lab and wait for results - same as the Dr. only cheaper.

Second test is a GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test).  This is a longer test that measures your blood sugar levels  before during and after consuming specific levels of Glucose over a specific period of time.

I have not heard of any false positive readings on either test but I do not know that for sure.
can you get a false reading(saying your taking a drug that your not) after you have passed out. my sister did this and was sent to the hospital and they are saying she overdosed on a pill that she isnt even taking. she had some bleeding in her brain too.