Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Upper ab pain and burning

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Upper ab pain and burning

I have been having for about a week now upper abdominal pain with on/off burning in the middle. The pain somtimes goes into my back. Its not a constant pain it comes and goes. Its better now then what it was, but its still their on and off. Also a week ago I had the "flu" for 24 hours diarreaha and really bad stomach pains. my question is could this be just left over flu symptoms or somthing else?
Tags: Pain
Dear Darleme,
It is impossible to answer your question whether ypour current symptoms are re;lated to your flu.  In general terms, flus ymptoms can last for several days.  Peristent pain, after the other symptoms are gone, should raise the possibility of other possible causes.
I also wanted to note, I have been burping quite frequently and it has a "weird" taste
I have been having similar pain. I'm 34 yr old male. Doubled over in the office a few months ago when I was under alot of stress. Pain came suddenly and sharply right below where my ribcage begins in the center of my chest below the breast. It came and went and felt like someone was sticking a knife in me. I have Mitral valve prolapse and worried this might be heart related, but the doctor said it didn't sound cardiac, and I have had extensive cardiac tests because I have alot of PVC's. The other day I was in the supermarket and the same thing happened. Sudden pain in the same place, severe, kept coming and going. My girlfriend took me to the ER and by the time they took a look the pain went away. They did an ECG which was normal. The doctor said didn't sound cardiac, but more like upper GI problem, gallstones or ulcer. I had an upper GI test about 10 months ago with normal results. Does anyone out there have any answers that might ease my mind, or suggestions for tests? Could this be gas. Seems to severe for that. I hadn't eaten anything for quite a while before this, so don't think it is food related, but I used to get pvc's after eating in the past. Anty ideas?
It sounds similar to what I've experienced with reflux (GERD):  sharp stabbing pain (like sticking a knife in and turning it) right below where the breastbone meets in the center.  Your esophagus is probably spasming when you feel the pain. Stress definitely contributes.  If you do some research on GERD on the internet you'll find out what kinds of things to avoid and other suggestions.
Sounds very familar...think gallstones or hianal hernia, or esophagus sphinter muscle, or GERDs, or a number of other possibilities centering around the beginning of your intestinal track.  Also get your doctor to stop thinking heart, and start thinking gut.  Ultrasound, Hida-scan, and other test can determine the cause.  I speak from experience, not as a doctor.
I have been having the exact same symptoms as Darlene, right down to the 24hr flu previous to the symptoms.  Is there any explaination and will it ever go away?
Sounds like these problems could be associated with digestive tract disorders, acid reflux, etc. I have an excellent booklet on the subject if anyone wishes to e-mail me at ->  < ***@**** >

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,

Wendell
I have been seeing a gastoenterologist for 2.5 years.  He did my second endoscopy and told me I have reflux and an irritable bowel.  Recently I thought I had the flu or a virus but the sever stomach pain ended me up in the emergency room.  I had my third endoscopy and the doctor told me I have a hiatal hernia, reflux and esophagitis.  It can be very painful.  I have the burning and spasms.  They can come and go but when they come it is very painful.  Any questions, please e mail me at ***@****.  I would enjoy talking to someone with similar problems.
I have GERD and have been on prilosec for the last couple of months.  Is anyone else on this drug and if so, is it safe to take for a lengthy period of time?  Thanks
Man!  Can somebody tell me what's causing all this upper right rib pain and itching?  Yes, itching around my rib cage.  The pain radiates from a sharp pain just below my right rib cage, like you get after running sometimes, to a severe ache/pain almost under my right arm in my rib cage?  These pains are accompanied by itching.  There's no visible rash, I'm not under any stress, except for the stress of this pain. Like the knife-like pain that Chris talks about.
Yes I too have had pain in middle of ribs thats starts slowly and builds to excrutiating pain. I have had ultra sound baruim meal and went under so doctor could put camera down my throat to inspect. All test including blood test came back normal. I was hospitalised with this pain and when it gets really bad I vomit.
It seems only to happen at night and certainly not every night.
I have had about three four attacks so far in about 2 months.
I am 8 stone and 37 years old . Help Im scared of the night!!!
Why cant they find the problem with all these expensive tests
I've had the same problems since November.  Nausea, vomiting, and a burning sort of pain, sometimes feels like it starts at the back, but seems to be dead center under the sternum.  When it gets really bad, I vomit.  I've had two ultrasounds, a HIDA scan, a CT scan, several rounds of bloodwork, a gastroscope, urine test, a pair of rectal exams... everything normal except some bloodwork right after an attack (real high billirubin), when I was at the ER.  Mine were worse at night, but then it started up in the daytime too.  I reached the point in December where I couldn't hold down dry toast and ginger ale, and eventually all I could keep down was jello.  I changed doctors when my doctor's receptionist told me I shouldn't have had the toast.  I lost 20 lbs. when I couldn't hold down food.  After all the tests, all that's shown up is some gastritis, and a bit of acid reflux, but even my doctor admits acid reflux shouldn't cause that.  I've been on prilosec since the end of Decmeber,  and haven't vomited or had serious pain since, but was off for nearly two weeks when I had the gastroscope run.  The pain was the worst it had been since January, so I'm back on prilosec.  It seems to keep it to a minor pain that I can ignore if I have to, though I still feel it.  The full-fledged pain is debilitating.  I am unable to function, and it HURTS.  It's worse if I'm laying down than sitting up, and sitting down seems to be better than standing/pacing with it.  I've also started having sharp jabbing pains on the right side, under the rib, that only last a few seconds each.  They're thinking billiary colic now.
Valerie,
   I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV <G>, however, I've been in extreme pain under the lower part of my ribs for 10 months now (3 before gall bladder was removed and ever since).  Has your doctor ruled out esophagus sphinter muscle dysfunction?  (Sorry, the test includes, yet another scope down throat, and this time, while awake.  Not too bad once they get past your nose!)  Also, and this one you want to read up on on the Web first, because the side effects are frightening, it could be Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.
    I know for sure I have the esophagus problem, and I'm pretty sure I have the Oddi Sphincter problem.  Because of the side effects of the doctors even testing that one (25-37% possibility of getting pancretitus, with the same percentages for each procedure done afterwards to maybe relieve the problem), I've been checking around for alternative ways of relaxing those two muscles.  Today I was told by an acupunturists, who is also a doctor, that she can probably relax them.  
     Just some ideas for you, that took my GI the longest time to consider.
I have been having periodic spells of nausea and lightheadedness over the past 6 months. I saw my Doctor on monday, and all the tests came back as normal. My liver is functioning normal, no H. Pylori bacteria (which causes ulcers) everything she tested for came back as normal. I'm really scared as to what this could be. I feel a little better today after taking pepcid twice a day for three days along with about 9 tums per day. I still feel a little faint, and slightly queezy but not as bad as it has been. Does anyone know what this could be??? Anyone had similar expiriences as me. If so, please e mail me at ***@****

I have had upper ab pains for 8 days now and cant function properly. Its a burning kinda feeling that shoots down the side to my back. Lots of gas and indigestion also. I can almost feel something rolling under my right rib cage. Im dizzy and feel like Im going to vomit all the time. No appetite, cant even stand taking a drink, feels like Im going to vomit. The doctor did a ultrasound and came back normal. can someone please help me , Im ready to snap, cant sleep at night afraid to go to bed.
HELP...I cant seem to ever post a freaking question here and I have been trying every day for a MONTH!!!.  I am a 23 alcoholic
who stoped drinking 5 months ago due to a pulsing pain in the lower/middle right side of my body. At first it did radiate to the left side and to my back. I have had blood tests and even an ultrasound and they turn out normal. My physician thinks its Fatty Liver but im not convinced. I have been abstanant from booze for 5 months and still suffer the pain. I recently took some Roxicet pills and had a complete relapse, the pain was terrible  and I belive it could be related to the pill. Im sick of suffering and would like some positive diagnosis. I need to feel like my absitinance from alcohol is worthwhlile and the pain has only caused me depression and frustration.  HELP
This coment is for Valerie and Lynn.
Unfortunalley what you both are talking about sounds all to familier. I started 3 years ago with the stabbing pain in my right upper abdomen which sometimes moves to the middle. The horrible pain comes at night most of the time. I couldn't eat for a long time and at one point had lost 45 lbs. within a one year period. I had every test in the book, had my gallbladder removed (it was normal) only to feel worse. I have been referred to all of the "specialists" in the area. Last year my GI doctor finally started doing blood work 2 to 6 hours after I would have an attack. He checked my liver and pancreatic function. Every time my levels were elevated which means that there was a temporary blockage of the biliary and pancreatic ducts. He diagnosed me with Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction and di a sphincterotomy. Well, my pain was finally relieved. That was in December. Last week my pain returned so now I am looking into the possibility of a Pancreatic Sphincterotomy.
I am tellin you all this because it took me three years to get where I am and it sounds as if you might just be starting. Part of my problem with the diagnosis was that I would get the blood work  done to soon after an attack so it would not show up.
The ERCP tests that the doctors have to do in order to diagnose this disorder are not without risk. First, they are not always reliable. Mine came back normal. Second, the threat of pancreatitis is real. I have been hospitalized with it after the tests. However, the thought of living constantly with this is scarier. I am not an expert in this by any means, but I have experienced alot of what I am talking about. Maybe I can be of some help. Most important is to remember...even if all the "tests" are "normal" , don't let people tell you to "not worry about it". What you are feeling is real
I see a lot of similiar symptoms to what I've been experiencing of late.  Never been much to visit the doc unless on the verge of death but this pain is almost unbearable and seems to be sticking around.  Has the traits of common heartburn, originating in the upper right stomach, involving the chest but also includes severe back pain & nausea.  Makes it near impossible to sleep or function in any way resembling normal.

Don't care much for guesswork & hospitals so I'll probably ride the storm out and hope my body can heal itself.
I have a burning in the lower right side and I had a liver test that showed the AsT level to be 93 two weeks later it was 74 the doctor said not to worry should i be concern. thand you
I have stabbing pains in my stomach. Iget spasms of the stomach. Had all the test and they can't find out whats wrong.  The pains are so strong that I want to bang on walls and the pain in my back is getting worse.

If you haven't already- get an upper GI done, it might tell you alot.  It did for me, and your pain sounds like mine.
I have been experiencing a dull but pulsating pain on the upper left side of my stomach.  It is below my rib cage, to the left.  I have also had  a whole lot of reflux and gas pain, with loose bm's.  I am really scared and I dont know what the cause of all this may be.  A lot of you talk about pain on the right.  Has anyone experienced pain on the left side below the rib cage?  I have a blood test this Friday and a Gastroenterologist visit this coming Monday.  Thanks in advance.
I too have had pain in my left side of my stomach.... my chest burns.. i feel tightnest  around my chest and when I burp or pass gas I am reliefed of pain for a few..... this happened to me ayear ago and has'nt returned until last week when I visited Checkers fast food drive thur resturaunt... I think I'm going to give up on hamburgers!.....Jim
I also have the pain on the left side, w/burning in chest, there is some relief after burp or passing gas.  I also have a dull headache.  I've also had a lot of blood work done, have been diagosed w/ GERD and am taking ranitidine for it.  I go along for quite sometime w/out this problem then it seems to occur for no apparent reason.  I'd like some relief too from what ever this is.
i recently for two weeks have had pain in the middle were the top of ribcage almost feels like small gallbladder attacks.with diarea (diarrhea) and some constipation.i get dehidrated and pain off and on all day.i thought i had the stomach bug since i work at daycare but i was the only one with it. i also just had a fetal death and wonder if this problem affected my pregnancy since everything was fine untill i got sick.if anyone can help email at ***@****                                                                                                            worried
Prilosec side effects?

I was diagnosed with severe acid reflux a year and a half ago.  My doc prescribed Prilosec and it certainly took care of the problem.  Just recently I had a period of flu-like symptoms that followed with a very sudden and violent projectile vomiting.  I thought I had food poisoning.  This was followed wiht pain under the sternum and tightness in the esophagus and throat.  A week later the same thing happened and the intense vomiting ended with a severe pain with the feeling that something was twisted or spasmed.  I stopped Prilosec and switched to Axid, 300 mg in the AM.  After a week or so this wasn't working so I went back
to the Prilosec.  This was when I realized that the feeling of intense pressure that I have felt in the abdomen seemed to be caused by the Prilosec. Prilosec adverse side effects noted AFTER clinical trials included abdominal swelling. When I went off the Prilosec again these symptoms had cleared in two days. The GI doc is doing a gallbladder scan and then an endoscopy to see what's happening there.  But the intense abdominal pressure is GONE. Only because I had new symptoms which the Prilosec wasn't helping and decided to try another treatment did I realize that ALL THIS TIME THE PRESSURE WAS FROM THE TREATMENT for the GERD!  Anybody else think this might be a possibility? for them?
I have been experiencing painful burning and nausea in my stomach for the past 2 weeks.  The burning pain is always is constant.  When my stomach is empty, I get extremely nauseated.  Could this be GERD or ulcer?  Please respond.  Thank you, christie
I have been still having problems with pain in my left upper stomach and burning and acid reflux.I have been on relaphen for arthritis and prilasec.I found out long trem prilasec can cause inflammation of the stomach lining.I have been using both for 5 yrs.I stopped the relaphen 3 weeks ago and stopped the prilasec 2 days ago and am living on malanta .I had a blood test to see if I have ulcers.Anyone been on both meds and had something like this? you take a med for something and then it causes it again later on!!! I wonder what meds they can give me now to cure an ulcer if I cant take prilasec? Paula
have had burning pain in left thoracic
back area for about 8 weeks now,really
notice it if i am going to burp.but,pain
usally never goes away.i do notice i burp alot lately
am i loosing my mind?going for massage today.
hpoe it helps.please let me knoe if any one has this.
mail me at cravalynnweber@netscape .net
I too have experienced the burning,  at times it feels as if I am having palpitations, but I also belch whatever I eat.  Does anyone else experience these flutters? Please e-mail at ***@****
I also am experiencing burning in my upper chest and pain through to my back, it seems to get worse with stress. I am a healthy, very fit 36 year old woman.  I sometimes get the sensation I need to cough with it, however there is nothing there, just a dry hack.  Also sometimes feels as though it is fluttery...no clue what it is, but if it continues much longer I am going to check it out with an M.D.
hello i hope someone can help?
In late 1998 i had gladular fever and in janury 99 i started to get a slight dull pain in my lower right side well i still have  the pain and it has become much worse and it also radiates around my back the doctors cant find out what the problem is i have had so many blood tests and they said i have a slightly raised liver funtion test well this has been going up and down for over a year now
i have had 2 ultasounds which showed everything was ok and an endoscopy which showed a slight inflamation (inflammation) in my stomach
basicly my doctor has said he dosent think there is anything to worry about and just to wait and see if things improve
i feel very tired all the time have been given strong pain killers which don't seem to help and also my stomach is very swollen recently there is also alot of gas
this is effecting my life as i feel very down and frustrated
thank's for listening
hello i hope someone can help?
thank's for listening
I have exactly the same symptoms and guess what?  I have liver cancer and it doesn't look good.  Have your doctor check out your billirubin level immediately.  This is most important.
Good Luck!!!
HAS ANY ONE OUT THERE EVER HAD GASTRIC PROBLEMS AND ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS INCLUDE A SALTY TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH THAT JUST WON'T GO AWAY?
HAS ANY ONE OUT THERE EVER HAD GASTRIC PROBLEMS AND ONE OF THE SYMPTOMS INCLUDE A SALTY TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH THAT JUST WON'T GO AWAY? YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT ***@****
dear Valerie Priester  Lynn  Denise ( MArch 2 And 9 )             OH how glad I was to find you three !! I have all these problems also . DR are doing nothing and Im In sooooooo much pain.  I know I have hietial hernia and reflux but nothing so far has worked Im too scared to try prilosec.  I do have a difference from yall though ---Im insulin dependant  q?  What is a HIDA scan?         What is a ERCP test?                                                                     P.S. anyone out there like this with diabetes Im only 27 I need help reply at rebekahjem27@aol                           THANKS
HELLO TO EVERYONE..IT SEEMS TO ME THAT A LOT OF US ARE STRICKEN WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS..A LOT OF US CAN NOT BE DIAGNOSED EITHER...A YEAR AGO WHEN I WENT INTO LABOR WITH MY THIRD CHILD I THOUHGT I HAD A STOMACH VIRUS BECAUSE I WAS THROWING UP ,HAD DIARRHEA AND TERRIBLE PAIN WITH CONTRACTION LIKE PRESSURE.. THE BABY WAS BORN HEALTHY BY C-SECTION AND I SEEMED TO RECOVER WITH NO TROUBLE. HOWEVER I CONTINUED TO HAVE NAUSEA FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR AND STILL DO CURENTLY HOWEVER IT HAS BECOME BETTER SINCE I NO LONGER EAT THE SAME AS BEFORE..MY NAUSEA LATER JOINED WITH BELCHING,EXTREME PAIN IN THE UPPER STOMACH AREA AND A CHANGE IN BOWEL MOVEMENTS..THE ATTACKS WOULD ACCURE ABOUT EVERY FOUR DAYS..I CAME TO THE POINT WHERE I COULD NOT EAT ANYTHING FOR A WEEK UNTIL I STARTED TAKING PRILOSEC..IT WAS WONDERFUL IN MY AID OF EATING BUT THE ATTACKS STILL CAME AND NO MEDICATION WOULD RELIEVE THE PAIN..(I ALSO HAVE A PRESSURE UNDER MY RIGHT RIB WHICH IS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.)THE ATTACKS STARTED TO COME FARTHER APART AND DO NOT ACCURE AS OFTEN AS BEFORE.. I HAVE BEEN CHECKED FOR GALLBLADDER WHICH WAS THE OBVIOUS DIAGNOSES, BUT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, EVERY TEST GI, AND ULTRASOUND ,AS WELL AS THE HIDA SCAN ,AND BLOOD WORK HAS COME BACK NEGATIVE..IF I EAT SWEETS OR FAT I WILL BECOME NAUSEAS..I HAVE LEARNED THAT EATING IS NO LONGER ENJOYABLE..I EAT TO LIVE AND FOR NO OTHER REASON..MY ATTACKS ARE FEWER NOW THAT I NO LONGER EAT THE SAME AS BEFORE BUT I STILL CONTINUE TO SUFFER WITH THE OTHER SYMPTOMS LISTED ABOVE..I DO HAVE A HIEDAL HERNIA LIKE MOST PEOPLE BUT HAVE NEVER BEEN STRUCK WITH REFLUX..THE PAIN I EXPERIENCED THE NIGHT I WAS IN LABOR IS WHAT MY ATTACKS ARE LIKE WHEN THEY ACCURE..I ALSO HAVE A TIGHTNESS DURING THE ATTACKS THAT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I CAN NOT BREATH CORRECTLY..I HAVE TWICE HYPERVENTILATED.ONE DOC. WAS CONVINCED IT WAS ALL IN MY HEAD..HOW DEMEANING THAT WAS TO HEAR..I AM CURRENTLY SEEING A SURGEON WHO CONFESSES TO ME THAT HE WILL FIND MY PROBLEM NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES.I AM SCHEDULED FOR AN UPPER GASTIOCOTESTINAL ENDOSCOPY AND COLONASCOPY. MY FEAR IS THIS TO WILL SHOW NOTHING AND MY CURRENT CONDITION WILL BE SOMETHING THAT I WILL SIMPLY HAVE TO LIVE WITH AND ADJUST TO AS BEST POSSIBLE.THE MORE I RESEARCH ON LINE THE MORE I REALIZE THAT THERE ARE WAY TO MANY OF US OUT HERE WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS THAT ARE GOING UNDIAGNOSED..I WILL UPDATE WHEN I LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT MY CONDITION, AND I THANK EVERYONE WHO DOES THE SAME..LIVING WITH THE PAIN..KIM B.
I experienced the same pain in my upper right abdomen about a year ago along with a lot of belching and acidic feelings in my stomach.  The pain was very uncomfortable and often radiated to my back.  After extensive blood tests and ultrasounds, everything was proven to be normal.  I cut out alcohol and caffine, my internist put me on Carafate, which helps to soothe and "rebuild" the lining of your stomach and a stronger dose of Pepcid AC.  After a couple of weeks the more severe pains went away and after a couple of months I was feeling back to my old self.  Now, however, I began taking a beta-blocker and my pain has returned.  I never went back to caffine and have not been drinking alcohol since I was put on the blockers.  For those of you suffering with CRONIC (chronic) GASTRISTIS, ask your MD about the above mentioned meds.  AND does anyone else have an adverse reaction to beta-blockers.  Pharmasist says very unlikely, but possible.
RIGHT SIDE PAIN......HELLO TO WHOEVER IS READING.I WENT TO A DOCTOR A GENERAL PRACTIONER.AND HAD A COMPLETER PHYSICAL.ALL WAS WELL BLOOD WORK PAP THE WHOLE 9 YDS.I HADE A KIDNEY INFECTION AND MY CHOLESTEROL WAS A LITTLE HIGH 260 BUT I DON,T CONSIDER THAT TO BE HIGH.BECAUSE I HAVE CUT BACK BIG TIME ON ALOT OF THINGS.I DRINK WATER LIKE IT IS GOING OUT OF STYLE.I HAVE CUT DOWN ON ALL SWEETS,THE DOCTOR PUT ME ON SOME MEDICATION FOR THE KIDNEY INFECTION FOR TEN DAYS SHE SAID WHEN YOU RUN OUT GIVE YOUR BODY TEN DAYS TO GET THE MEDICINE OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM AND IF YOU STILL HAVE PAIN IN YOUR SIDE COME BACK.IN THE MEANTIME WHILE I,M ON THIS MEDICINE SHE SCHEDULES ME FOR A UPPER AND LOWER SONAGRAM.IT SHOWS SHE SAYS POSSIBLE ECHODENSITIES IN THE GALLBLADDER POSIBLE POLYPS OTHER WISE NEGATIVE.IN THE MEANTIME THE PAIN STILL BOTHERS ME.SOMETIME IT DON,T BOTHER ME AT ALL.IT COMES AND GOES.SOMETIMES ITS MILD AND SOMETIME IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE IS PINCHING ME AND IT BURNS.IY IS RIGHT ABOVE MYRIGHT HIP BONE IN LINE WITH MY NAVEL.WHEN I SLEEP AT NIGHT HERE LATELY WHEN I TURN OVER ON EITHER SIDE MY HIPS ACE AND BURN A LITTLE IF I RUB THEM A MINUTE THEY STOP AND IT SEEM SOMETIME THAT MAKES IT HURT A LITTLE.MY SIDE WAS HURTING SO BAD I WENT BACK TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM 0N 7/8/00THEY DID ALL THIS STUFF SHE DID BLLOD WORK AND ALL AND ALL WAS NEGATIVE JUST LIKE HERS.THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT A HYDA SCAN.I DON,T CARE WHAT THEY DO I JUST WANT TO KEEP FROM GOING BACK TO THESE DOCTORS REPEADLY WHEN THEY CAN DO IT ALL AT ONCE THIS GETS TO BE EXPENSIVE AND THIS HURTING CAN MAKE IT HARD ON YOUR FAMILY CAUSE WHEN YOU HURT YOU DON,T WANT TO BE MESSED WITH.I JUST CAN,T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY SAY IT MAY BE GALLSTONES OR POLYPY.IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING WHEN YOOU EXAMINE  WHY ARE YOU IN PRACTICE.TO RIP PEOPLE OFF.I,M SOORYY I,M NOT TRYING TO SOUND UGLY ,BUT DAM,NT GOOD DOCTORS WHO CARE WHERE ARE YOU THE HECK WITH RUNNING UP THESE BILLS HELP OUT.
Having read your descriptions above, I feel my experience may help.  I have had pretty much the same symptoms, pain in the area beneath the sternum, nausea, heaviness and "tight" bloated feeling with spasms. A natural remedy I use is called "slippery elm" which most health stores keep. The trick is to take two tablets immediately you sense the pain starting, and you can prevent attacks, or take two before meals. I also avoid acidic food and beverages, ie coffee, tomatoes, pineapple etc.   Tracey (April 23rd) also mentions raised liver function and tiredness!  I have recently been tested for RICKETTSIAL DISEASE (or Q Fever) which leaves you feeling exhausted and weak with painful joints and muscles. Other symptoms are regular headaches, lack of concentration and real weakness that leaves you virtually useless. It apparently is a parasite from the same "family" as glandular fever, "yuppie flu" and malaria. You need specific blood tests to confirm the disease (which I have) but it IS CURABLE with a detox programme coupled with specific antibiotics.Incidentally raised liver function is a definite indicator! If anyone wants more info from the web, search under Rickettsial Disease or Q-Fever or e-mail me at ***@****   Good luck and good health.
Well add onther one with the same symptoms.  I have had
pain in the right side right under my right breast and it seems
to be in my rib.  I have had all the tests also and they are all
negative.  I also have more trouble at night.  I do take a small
dose of Ativan (a muscle relaxer) this is how I keep going.
If it wasn't for that I don't know what I would do.  Go nuts I
guess.  I wish you all the best but it seems someone would notice
how many people are dealing with this.

Thanks and least I know that I am not alone.
i want to ask new question, regarding autonomic nervous system in ulcerative colitis, where i should ask?
Hi all,
   Been reading all of your posts; and have been suffering very similar symptoms.  It started with what I thought was the "flu"- severe stomach cramping accompanied by a residual dull aching in between cramps.  I swear it felt like labor pains way up, below the sternum.  You could feel them begin, intensify, and wane again.  I found myself in bed for 2 days, unable to eat and extremely nauseous.  I had had similar episodes over the last year, and always thought it was a bug!  Went to my G.P. and he'll do an upper G.I. next week; however, he prescriped zantac and dicyclomine and after a few hours, all is well again!  The zantac for the abundance of acid, and the dicyclomine stopped the stomach spasms.  Don't know if this will help anyone, good luck
A related discussion, Hiatal Hernia was started.