Dogs Community
6 year Old Chihuahua w/sudden onset back issue?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My 6 and a half year old Chihuahua just had a very sudden onset issue with his back and I am at a complete loss.

He just finished eating, did not jump, run, have an accident or anything and has been right in front of me the entire time so I know nothing happened...

He finished eating and brought me his bowl to put away and laid down next to me... all perfectly normal.

My husband went to give him a pet and my dog screamed... before my husband even touched him.

My dog does not make this noise so we were both startled.

He then got up, tail limp and back hunched and moved a few paces and laid back down and when I tried to encourage him to move back towards me he made moves like he wanted to get up and come to me but couldn't.

I tried coaxing him with a few kiddle... he wanted them but could not move... I placed one close to him and one just out of reach, he ate the one that was close but when he could not easily reach the one further away he just laid down his head and stared at me.

He has since shifted some and taken a few steps, but his tail is limp and it is obvious that moving hurts and his hind legs are not steady.

I know for a fact that he was not injured and cannot figure out what is going on... his appetite, bowel and urinary habits have all been 100% normal.

I gave him 1/4 of a baby aspirin but because my Husband has been out of work for over 2 years and just started working again money is very tight and I cannot afford to take him to the vet at this time but I am scared about what could be going on.

He has no ticks on him (no parasites at all), has not been exposed to any poisons, chemicals or anything that could have caused this and I am at a complete loss.

His bowel sounds are normal (checked with stethoscope) and leg joints are all sound...

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated
Hi Syralia....You might want to google: IVDD (Intervertabral Disk/Disc Disease)......That's my first thought.....With this disease, there doesn't have to be an accident.....The disk can herniate or rupture at any time.....Your Chi is a perfect age and breed for it.......

Next: Are you sure this wasn't a seizure of some kind? Could it have had something to do with eating? How about a bad tooth? Just throwing some ideas out there....However, I believe the IVDD fits the best......Let me know, Karla
*update* the aspirin seems to have helped.. still not sure what happened but he got up on his own to go potty and his tail is no longer limp, though he is unsteady it is a major improvement.

I will just keep him on bed rest for a few days and give him a warm bath followed by a massage later today.

You hit the nail right on the head with the IVDD... I looked it up late last night and many of the symptoms fit and the Vet confirmed it today.

He is on medications now and strict crate/bed rest for 2 weeks then a recheck.