Dogs Community
Abdominal surgery; partial intestine removal

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

On Wednesday 6/4 my 7yo Blackmouth cur underwent an exploratory surgery for what they thought was a tumor in his abdomen. He had been losing weight and had not had an excellent appetite, though here, in Texas it has gotten hot and he usually eats less in the summer, so I thought nothing of it, until he began to really lose weight.  

I was allowed to watch the surgery, as they were afraid they might lose him, and when the doctor opened him up he found that he had a blockage in his intestine. It was actually horse manure that he'd eaten (I train for a living) and he'd not passed it due to a hole in the mesenteric wall the Dr. said. They removed that entire section of intestine.

They kept him at the clinic through Friday afternoon, and sent him home with canned dog food, and told me to mix a can of water, and a can of food and feed him via a 60cc syringe 2x/day and also give him yogurt.

He is still not wanting to eat, and I feel like that might be a bit much for his stomach. He has got a major case of diarrhea and today I caught him throwing up and yowling in pain and his stomach was very tense. I understand that because he was blocked he's going to have trouble in his digestive system. The doctor had him on antibiotics that he was giving via a shot, and now he's on a pill. He also sent home pain pills.

What can I expect as far as this is concerned and should he be getting better? The vet seemed to think (he's been practicing for 40 years) that if he made it past day 4 he'd pull through, but the poor dog just lays and barely wags his tail. It's obvious he doesn't feel good. I understand that this is major surgery, but I don't want him to be in pain.
Did you start the pain med at home? Lots of dogs to not eat well on pain med...
You know you will contact your vet again on monday...
give dog some other options maybe:
Can Libby's pumpkin diluted is great on stomach
boil rice, drain, use the rice water
gatorade no red just mild flavor
to keep hydrated...all this can be syringed...
the vomiting hurts the surgery by straining....try those options w/syringe
did vet give anything for bowels...pectin or ????
you can give pepto bismal to dogs....I have by the suggestion of my Texas vet...
Hope your little fella gets better...
I answered you on your other post.
My dog is drinking lots of water on his own. He just doesn't really have much appetite.  The Doctor told me not to worry about this as his digestinal tract and stomach are not functioning at full capacity due to the lack of food since his blockage.  He hasn't thrown up again, and is passing a stool. It's just runny.
You did tell your vet all this, right?  

"He has got a major case of diarrhea and today I caught him throwing up and yowling in pain and his stomach was very tense."
Yes, the vet knows. He said he isn't going to feel good, and we can't expect him to not hurt. It's a major surgery. He is doing better today.
I'm so very glad to hear he's doing a bit better now!  Any time intestines are messed with (in people or animals) they tend to sulk for a while before getting moving again.  When you mentioned he was drinking well, I figured he'd perk up pretty quickly - that was a great sign!  Don't be surprised if it takes several more days for his GI tract to begin a more normal function.  

Solids are going to be pretty tough for a while, so you might try adding pedialyte or gatorade to enhance his electrolytes, and low sodium chicken broth for a bit of nutrition. That is, if he still isn't wanting to eat solid food yet.  

I've had a bowel resection myself, and was astounded and the after effects.  Everything in my gut just laid there on strike for days.  It's the oddest feeling.  I'm in far west Houston - where are you in the Great Republic of TX?  :-)
Our dog Zena had an intestinal blockage requiring surgery.  She almost died.   It took a good week before she was eating well.   She was slow but didn't seem to be in alot of pain.   Our vet had told us to watch carefully to make sure she only ate small amounts at a time.   If any vomiting or diarhea (diarrhea) we were to contact him immediately.  
We were also told to watch her closely because she would not be able to survive another intestinal surgery.
Is he still showing improvement?
Our boxer/pit mix ate a good chunk of a nylabone "rhino" about a month ago and it got stuck in his lower intestine 10 days ago. 8 days ago we went to the vet because he hadn't eaten all day (he ALWAYS eats) and had started to vomit. She did x-rays but we couldn't see anything.

I stayed up with him all night and he started to vomit blood in the morning so called her back. She did surgery 7 days ago and found the blockage and the damage to the lower intestine. She ended up removing a foot and a half. She kept the dog on a iv at her office for the next 3 days, He had no food for almost a week all together, but was well hydrated the entire time.

When she started food, she had the techs give him a tablespoon at a time with sulcrafate (it's usually for ulcers). She only let him come home after he was able to eat without vomiting.

He's been home for 5 days. We've cooked chicken and rice for him, blending it up to a smooth consistency and slowing increasing the amount and decreasing the frequency we feed him each day. To be sure he stays hydrated, we mix a bit of the food in with about a cup of water in between meals.

He's only vomited twice and is very perky. So much so that we have to keep him on the pain meds to keep him chilled out-the vomiting happened after he ran around a bit.

Our vet wanted to know anytime he vomited or if he was acting dumpy.
It's been quite a roller coaster, but he goes back in on Friday for a check up and I think he's going to get a good bill of health. His coat is starting to look less dull and the stiches on his belly look like they are healing well.

Good luck with your pup. I think I might check with a different vet if I were you, yours sounds a bit impatient with the recovery plan and I think your pup might be paying for that impatence.
Wow!  That is one tough dog to go through a major rummaging around in his guts and have such a fast recovery.  Great story!
They had to put thier dog to sleep on 6/13, they got to the bacteria, and tried to save him, but his body could not endure, he was too sick...Kidney's started shutting down, the owner is very sad!
Thank you for all of your prayer and concern about my dog, Texas.

I loved him dearly and I miss him daily.

He was my bestest buddy; I regret that we did not find out about his sickness sooner, as that might have saved him.

I can't tell you how sorry I am.  Try not to beat yourself up with guilt.  You did the best you could, and that's all any of us can do.  We all understand how you feel right now, so go ahead and let it out.  Scream and cry as much as you want.  One day you'll be able to remember him with smiles instead of tears, and open your heart to another dog who needs you.
If you are still reading, easyjet95 after 1.5 years, I am very sympathetic.
My Cocoa (4 yr. standard dachshund) died yesterday of the same problems. He had ingested a piece of the extreme tough kong, which must have laid in his stomach for a while. He was a beautiful dog, but from day 1, a garbage eater. We childproofed the home and garden, kept him busy, but being the "focussed" breed that he is, he managed to eat something. Same symptoms, intermittent vomiting, food not passing, swelling in abdomen. We were given Regulin to move the gas through him, but now in hindsight should have had an ultrasound immediately (despite the 800.00charge) The Xray we had initially  had shown nothing, but an ultrasound is very intrusive with sedation etc, so logic dictates that you do the next easier thing. The thing is, when you have a dog, that likes to eat every little thing, it is hard stay focussed 100% of the time, all the time. By the time we did the ultrasound we saw a blockage in the intestine, and the surgery revealed the item and how the messenteric wall was damaged. They worked 2 hours on him, and removed 5 " of intestine. Peritonitis had also set in already. From your post, I recognize the signs now, runny bowel movement, foamy vomit, were signs of infection in the stomach, so his chances of surviving the operation were already slim. He survived the night, but the next afternoon visit, he passed. I can only urge pet owners to know your pet's behaviour, and seek attention. Once the upper intestine is affected, the dog may never recover properly. Looking back is always easier, but perhaps I can help someone out there who is in the "middle" of it. Remember, for every amazing story of a dog "passing" a frisbee, there will be many situations like the one we experienced.
(I know this is late but for future reference) My Dog was attacked and underwent surgery on sunday 10/24 and the docs said to feed her baby food if she's not eating.