Dogs Community
Anal Gland

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Anal Gland

My one year old chipoo is  suffering from the Anal glands  problem  lately , last month Feb , I had to take her to her Vet 4 times to Express her glands,  yet  once again she  seems to get it back, this time is even  worse cause she start to cry from the pain  , and I' m going to see her Vet  Tomorrow to get it done again , the problem is the Vet never provide an answer and sometimes  she doesn't express it  well that we had to take her back in the same week , and never mind the cost and the pain that me and my baby going through ,  I really need  help to prevent the problem  , cause it's  getting to far and it's too costy for me to see her vet 4 times in one month !! ,  I will appreciate any help .

Sometimes a dog's anal glands can get impacted and/or infected, and this will require them to have to be expressed more often than normal.  Sometimes after the glands are drained the pet needs to be put on an antibiotic to clear up the infection.  A high fiber diet will help to keep the anal glands from becoming impacted.  

If you are getting no satisfaction from your current vet on this situation, find another vet and get a second opinion.  Chihuahuas are very prone to anal gland problems, so it could be that your dog's genetics are playing a part in this as well.  I would get a second opinion, tell the new vet how often this is occurring, and ask him if he feels that putting her on a course of antibiotics might help this.  Ask him about the high fiber diet.  If I were you I'd be completely discouraged right about now concerning your current vet and why he can't offer any reasons for the frequent impactions.  It's time to look for help elsewhere.

Ghilly
Hi I have a dog with anal gland issues too. He has IBD so when a bout of it flared up he wasn't having solid stool to help "normal"expression of the gland so he became impacted and infected. We have been treating him with a month course of clindamycin (antibiotic) and applying warm compresses to the butt 3 times a day which is helping to soften and get the fluid out. Sometimes a vet will express the gland and then administer a antibiotic/cortizone ointment directly into the gland but the dog needs systemic(oral) antibiotics too. I get mine from Costco.com because they are cheaper and your don't need to be a member for the online pharmacy just have you vet phone it in. I also get my dog to sit in a luke warm tub with a little water and some epsom salt. When they sit it helps open the rectum so the water can get up into the gland. I would say find a different vet that you can trust and work with. Being a vet tech I express my own dog so it's possible they can show you how to do it. Good luck!
My dog won't walk after having anal gland abcess (abscess) surgery and it's been three days now.should I be concerned?