Dogs Community
Anxiety, not pooped in two or more days!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I noticed she was not eating the food at the shelter, she likes the food we give her and eats a little but is not interested, won't eat snacks (even beef hot dog!) buried the marrow bone we cooked up for her. She has had two major losses recently with her owners moving out of state, plus stuck at the shelter where she was surrendered with her sis who was adopted earlier. We brought her home Friday afternoon and will be setting up an appointment with a vet for this week.
She is a rare hunting breed dog and loves to stay outside, but hasn't been seen by me or my husband peeing or pooping EXCEPT after she peed in the house twice, letting us know she is jittery inside and needs to be outside. We have a nice crate set up for her which she began going into last night after much persuasion! Now she willingly goes inside and we only close the door at bed time.
Concerned about her not pooping more than peeing on the carpet when she's been out for hours (including several long walks).
By the way, she is a Portugese Podango, Medio.2 year old female.
sounds like she is really freaked out with all the sudden changes, which appears to have affected her appetite. Since she isn't eating, or only eats a tiny bit, this could be why she's not pooping. Its the general rule "what goes in must come out"...since nothings significant is going in, then nothing is available to come out. I would just keep watching her to make sure she doesn't become lethargic (acting tired or weak) or starts vomiting. These would be signs to be concerned about. Keep offering her food and if possible leave her be in private to see if that helps for her to eat some. Make sure water is available at all times. If its nerves, this will just take time for her to come around and feel comfortable again.
Thankyou. I found a food that she loves and I mix it with a little kibble so she gets the dry too. It's a brand exclusive to PetSmart. It smells good!  It comforted me that you pointed out the obvious, " what goes in must come out ". I need to find a less costl food, $2 a can twice a day (with kibble) is quite an expence. that I am currently willing to put out to see her come around. I don't want to create a food snob.