Any problem giving HUMAN Vitamin D to a dog?
Hi Everyone, I'm asking this question for my neighbor.  His Golden Retriever, who is 11, was dx'd with cancer in his leg.  Poor dog only has a short time left...neighbor is letting nature take it's course due to dogs age as well as cannot afford $10.000 to amputate.  I am so sad as I dearly love this dog.  

Neighbor is currently giving pain meds and has added HUMAN Vit D to his diet (I forget why.)  Is human vitamins okay or should he get a supplement made for animals?

Also, neighbor has a FIG tree.  I did a search in this community on figs, but nothing came up.  Thankfully, I WAS able to tell him the avocados his dog has been eating off his tree are toxic.  Neighbor didn't know this and appreciated the info for any future animals.  

Thanks so very much!
I really don't know if figs are harmful for dogs or not. My instinct says they probably aren't (in very very small amounts)....but as I said I'm not sure. Anyway, even if they were bad news for dogs they would not have caused the cancer in his leg (is this osteosarcoma?) Again with the avocadoes. Yes I have heard they are not good for dogs. But I doubt very much if they would have caused his cancer.

Vitamin D is Vitamin D whether it is prepared in a veterinary med, or a human one. The only crucial thing is it is always wise not to add supplements or vitamins to the dog's diet without checking first with the vet. Dosages are very different for dogs. Also, as Vitamin D is stored in the liver, overdose is possible.
Thanks so much for your response, Ginger.  The owner doesn't know what kind of cancer this is.  This showed up on an xray and I suppose a biopsy would be needed to know which kind of cancer they're facing.  It is very progressive at this point, that is clear.  

I did tell the owner this morning that he should check with his vet before continuing with the Vit D. He will.  I was concerned about the dosage too, cause who knows how many mgs the OWNER is taking.  He takes excellent care of his dog...to the best of his ability and knowledge.  I didn't know that Vit D was stored in the liver and overdose was possible.  I'll pass that along.  

Thanks again!  Hope Misty's all recovered :)

The best source of Vitamin D for both humans and animals is sunshine (then the body actually manufactures it!) It's always a good idea to get sunshine on the body, or at least the face and neck, in winter. That means getting outside for good periods of time, and IF it is warm enough not to freeze while doing it -to push sleeves up, to get some sunshine on the arms too.
I always think that -and a good balanced diet is better than taking supplements of things like Vitamin D (unless advised to by a doctor or vet)

But people swear by Vitamin supplements. It's OK in the case of the B vitamins, as any excess is naturally flushed out of the body, it is almost impossible to O'D. Same with Vitamin C. But A and D are tricky. They can build up and actually become toxic!

Thank you....Misty is OK now. She's her usual self, and greedy as a pig as usual!!
Thanks for reminding me of those facts about vitamins.  I knew all that as I am a vitamin taker myself, but I've had such a blazing headache all day, I forgot I knew lol.  Yes, sun for Vit D.  A, you have to be careful.  I am not a fanatic about vitamins and do count on vitamins through a good diet as well as sit in the sun a bit each day for the Vit D.

I will have to ask the owner again why he feels the need to give this supplement.  I will definitely let him know that toxicity is a concern.  

Glad Misty's all better!

Maybe your neighbour is giving his dog the supplements because he has heard there is a possible link between Vitamin D and cancer prevention? I've certainly heard that about breast cancer.
The truth about avocados and your dog or cat
The avocado may be one of the best sources of essential nutrients for your dog or cat in one powerful superfood. There's a lot of misinformation floating around, so here's what you need to know: avocado fruit has not been found to be toxic for dogs and cats.

But you wouldn't know that from a casual search on the Internet. Check this out  http://www.avocadofactsfordogsandcats.com/?gclid=CNj2pNWp3MACFSMV7AodbQoARA