Dogs Community
Bleeding after hook-up

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Bleeding after hook-up

I breed Puggles and have been for 3 years now. One of my girls came into heat and after she connected with the male she bleed alot. I stoppped the breeding and she is now a week from her due date, so I thought it might of been some fluke.

One of my other girls has sence come into heat and the same has happened to her, now I'm concerned. I don't understand the Pyometra if that happens is it after the pups are born or before? Or not if they are pregnant? Would the male having a urine infection cause the female to bleed? I want to be fully informed in some things that I will be asking my vet to test for on Monday.

My dogs are not just for breeding they are our family pets and I want to be sure I cover all my bases.
Is this normal, as in the usual 'on heat' bleeding? In which case this does usually continue after mating. If it were that, it would be quite normal.

Or is it heavy bleeding, unusual in quantity, or stained with greenish mucus, or anything which could signal an infection? Is she showing any signs at all of being unwell? (Lethargy, shivering, drinking more water than normal, vomiting, off food?) Those could all be signs of Pyometra, but even if she doesn't have those symptoms, she could still have some infection. Pyometra most commonly occurs a few weeks after the heat cycle, BUT it can actually occur ANYTIME.
If she were my dog I would take her to the vet to be sure she does not have Pyometra.
She may not have it, but better safe than sorry. Untreated Pyometra can be a killer.
The bleeding is a small puddle after they un hook. Neither dog seems to be having an issue. My first girl that it happened to is due in a week. Her pregnancy is going well and no issues have come. I do plan to call the vet to ask about all of this and hope to post back to inform others of what it might be. The blood is not dis-colored or smelly or anything it is bright red like a cut kinda watery not thick. It is funny when I have asked a few others they all say o this is the normal bleeding from heat some will bleed more, no one seems to get the thought that it happens after they un- hook from each other. It is not a constant either. I hope I can explain it to the vet so he will understand. Like I said I have been breeding for 3 yrs and this never happened that is why I'm trying to get thoughts and it seems there is nothing on the web about it either.
Female dogs in heat all bleed different amounts. It does vary. But you know your dog, and you know her normal bleeding pattern. Anything outside of this I would say needs to be checked out. A 'pool' of blood after mating does sound strange to me. I have never seen this happen. Certainly, normal 'on heat' bleeding does continue after mating, but usually quite watery afterwards, or thinner. And not, as I have ever noticed, a lot of blood.
You need to have your dogs checked by your vet, because it's not normal for them to bleed after a tie takes place.  A female only spots blood for the first week of her heat cycle, and during that first week they normally won't accept a male, so by the time they are fertile and ready to mate, the bleeding stage has long since passed.

Have you had your dogs checked for doggie STDs, like brucellosis?  Has the male been examined by a veterinarian, is there maybe something with his physical build (a deformity in the penis, perhaps?) that could be responsible for this?  It would be unusual enough in one of the females, but for it to happen to two of them, I would definitely not progress with these breedings until all of the dogs have seen a vet.

Ghilly
A number of times before I had noticed that not only my female dog, but others as well, did bleed, but only very slightly, after the middle of their cycle, (when they are physically able to mate) and after mating. This was only 'spotting', and more like watered-down blood than at the beginning of their cycle. Also my female does continue to bleed (with a very little watery 'spotting' towards the end of her cycle) for the full 3 weeks, even though she has not mated.

I always considered this normal, but now do wonder if that is so. Could there be anything wrong for this to happen?
Ginger, if this was normal for both of your dogs then I wouldn't worry too much.  The original poster, however, led me to believe that this was something that had never before happened with her dogs, and now it happened with two of them when bred to this same male.  I definitely do not feel that this is a normal turn of events in her case and think that a visit to the vet is in order for both of them.  

Ghilly
i have had the same problem i breed my ***** on sunday when the male turned around she cried out when they seperated there was quite a bit of blood even the stud dogs owner was shocked as he has be breeding them for over 10 yrs and never seen this she  is still bleeding now but its just like shes back in heat shes fine in herself the bloods like from a fresh cut has she just tore inside r does any1 think it could b anything else
I know this is an old post, but the title cracks me up;-)

I've never really looked at K9-breeding as "hooking up", but I guess you can see the pun buried in there, if you look hard enough!

Anyways...
I have witnessed quite a few K9 "hook-ups" in my time!
But I haven't seen that bleeding with any of them. The 'tie' (when both dogs kind of get stuck together) can be a bit uncomfortable for both of them, and occasionally there can be a little yelp as they pull apart, though not always. There is less likely to be discomfort if they are both left together, without trying to force them apart in any way. And they are both steadied. Sometimes at this point, if the female is smaller than the male, she can end up on her back on the floor, so it's often best to steady and calm them, until they slip away from each other naturally.

I have experienced the female still having a slight bleed in the rest of her 'heat' after mating, but very very light, and usually not bright red by this stage.
However, in my experience I have never seen bleeding associated with mating itself. It might be the wisest move to get your girl checked out.