Dogs Community
Do laser treatments on dogs really work?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My 3 1/2 year old french bulldog started crying out in pain on Friday after jumping up when he heard my daughter's school bus arrive.Monday I took him to the vet who examined him and took x-rays. The x-rays showed that Bugsy has a malformed disc at the t11 and a large calcium deposit at the l3. The vet prescribed Rimadyl and rest. By Wednesday I had to call the vet and tell him that Bugsy was still screaming every time he tried to step on that front right leg. The vet prescribed tramadol and 10 days crate rest. The vet has recommended that we do laser treatments. I'm more than happy to pay for these treatments, thats not an issue. I just don't want my dog to be in pain. Should I just wait and see if these treatments work or should I be considering other options?  My dog's welfare comes first. I will do what's best for him.

Can't say I have heard of laser treatments, however, I have many friends with performance dogs (obedience, agility, etc) that often take their dogs for chiropractic treatment, acupuncture and acupressure treatments.  Also, hydro therapy is often very beneficial. You might check into that.
I assume your dog would be able to paddle in a bath tub if it were filled and you could try this daily.  He need to be able to paddle with support.
Of course, check with your Vet first.
If your dog has a mineralized disk that has the potential to herniate or has already herniated, he needs to be on strict cage rest. Physical therapy and rehab is not indicated because it can cause further damage to the spinal cord. If you choose medical management, pain meds and strict cage rest for a minimum of 6 weeks is the standard of care. Laser therapy is controversial in that its efficacy is not proven. That being said, some people find that it works well for certain types of injuries and may not work for certain individuals. It will not harm your pet, but it may not work. The other option is surgery to remove a portion of the herniated disk to relieve the compression of the spinal cord. If you choose not to have surgery, be aware that if your dog looses function of the back legs, it is a surgical emergency because he may not regain function if he is left more than 24 hours. Some dogs will do fine with medical management. He may be a candidate for physical therapy/rehab in the future, but it could be detrimental at this time..good luck!
I have a friend that has used laser treatments on one of her dogs for several years and has had very good results. I would say that it's worth a try.
Welcome to the forum....I have used Laser treatments for about 3 years on my dogs...Everything from wound healing, allergies on feet, surgical sight healing, soft tissue injury, torn ACL, arthrititis, and yes, disk/disc disease.  I've never seen it fail!

For my two with disk disease, (One has had the surgery, the other I chose not to), Acupuncture with laser makes an incredible difference!!! Neither dog takes any prescription pain management, just joint supplements & prescribed herbs for backs......I got the one that had the surgery (He was paralyzed) feeling so good, he tore an ACL and had to have it repaired! ;) He still runs like the wind, jumps & plays.....His back surgery was 5 years ago, his knee was repaired 2 yrs. ago........Karla
This is interesting.  I am going to have to ask around and read up on these laser treatments.  
Margot...Did you get my message from earlier in the week? Just curious if it went through.......Karla
Hi Karka,
Yes, sorry haven't replied yet, been one of those weeks.  Have to wait until I am on my computer.  
No hurry Margot, just wanted to make sure you got it...Karla
Thank you so much for your information. I'm sorry for the delay in my response. I'm new to both the forum and to the computer as well. I just started Bugsy on the laser treatments a couple of days ago. It appears to be working so far.
Great news...Keep us updated on his progress & good luck.....Karla
Would you mind sharing what natural supplements you found to be the most helpfull in treating the disc problem?  I have a 7 yr old doxie post surgery 3 yrs.  Regressing on use of back legs.  Long periods of high doses of prednisone and now they recommend rimadyl rest if life. I am looking for safer methods of controlling inflammation.
Thank you
ZS
Hello ZS.... Welcome to the forum....My guy is post surgery 6 years....We never did use the steroids...Rimadyl is an older class of anti-inflammatory.....There are new better ones....It's also dangerous and CANNOT be used with Steroids....

The supplements we have always used:
Phycox Chews--Joint Supplement--Small Bites..I buy mine from "Entirely Pets.com"..

The Chinese Herbals (Vet prescribed) Are called "The Great Mender", made by Plum Flower....My Vet sells these, but I buy them online for much less...These are made for humans and Yes, I have taken them before...They are incredible!!!

We also get Acupuncture when I see signs of him not feeling well...It's hard to decipher if it's his back or his knees.....He as had one ACL repair & his knees give him more trouble than his back, IMO.....

Oliver (My dog) is 11......Let me know if I can help you further.....Karla
P.S. Laser Treatments work beautifully, also!!! Forgot to add that!!! Karla