Dogs Community
Dog Dies after Dental Surgery
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dog Dies after Dental Surgery

My 9 year od Chihuahua passed away yesterday during dental surgery. He had pre-anesthetic blood work, x-rays, and an EKG. He did have a heart murmur but was cleared for surgery. They said any time you go under anesthesia there is a chance you won't make it but that all the pre-exams looked good. They called halfway through his surgery to say everything was going well. Then I got a call 3 hours later saying that he was in the kennel recovering and all of a sudden his heart stopped. They tried CPR and he did not make it. I am sick over this. I want to know if something else could have been done. I want to know why they didn't use an AED. I want to know why he was under anesthesia so long. I know nothing will bring him back, but maybe some answers can bring me closure.
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
7378022_tn?1390755081
I have no answers for you, but wanted to say I am so very sorry for your loss. May you find some comfort in memories of a happier time you shared with your companion.
Blank
Thank you, It is so painful and unexpected.
Blank
974371_tn?1364538460
First, I am so very sorry for your loss and know what a shock that must have been..  I haven't heard if it often but, like people, any surgery or anesthesia may cause death. It certainly sounds like your Vet took every precaution prior to surgery.  Mist, including my own, just usually do blood work and a physical exam.
It may have been a reaction to the anesthetic or too much was given but a toxicology test would have had to have been done.
Any time anesthetic us used on myself, family members or my animals, I get a bit nervous.
Blank
675347_tn?1365464245
I am very sorry for your loss of your dear little dog. Apart from the sadness, you must also be feeling so much shock, as this happened without any warning.
I agree with Margot -your vet performed all the pre-surgical checks thoroughly, and did his best there. They all checked out, so I can see why the vet thought your little one would be ok.
According to my vet, anesthetics are safer now than ever before, and yet there is always a risk.
My deep condolences.
Blank
Thank you, it has been a few days now and I am coming to terms with what happened. Jus trying to remember the good times..
Blank
Thanks for your response ginger. I am still mourning my sweet little guy. Now I am trying to be strong for my two other dogs.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dogs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...