Dogs Community
Dog ate a condom

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog ate a condom

I found a bag of condoms under my dining room table. When I went to clean up their mess I noticed a condom wrapper empty. One of the two has eaten a condom. I have a French Bulldog (1 1/2 years old) and a Yellow Lab ( 2 in January). I don't know which one ate the condom, and so far they seem fine. The Frenchie usually eats odd things, he ate a battery last year on New Years, and he's eaten those dessicants from packaged treats. Does anyone think like my husband, and assume they will pass the rubber through their bowels and not show any signs of problems? Or, does someone believe I should bring my dog to the ER ASAP? Please help me.

Cathy
My dog used to eat all kinds of weird things...rubber bands, hair scrunchies, even a childs sock.   And everytime it passed through her system just fine, so I would think this would too, becuase it would deffinently be more slippery than a sock.  But you do need to make sure they go to the restroom regularly, if you think they aren't, like they are constipated, than it could have gotten stuck in their intestine and then take them to the vet.  However, I do think they will be fine...But you can always just call up yours, or a local vet and ask what they think.
My dog ate one out of the garbage!!! Yes, it was disgusting. I look at him a little differently now!!!lol.... I just watched his poop for about a week to make sure it came out and yes it did, it was so gross, but at least it passed!
If the condom gets hung up in the intestinal tract, you'll know it quickly.  Any sign of bloating, foamy barf, inability to keep down food or water, and a fever - that's when you have an emergency obstruction.  My guess is it will pass through with no problem, but keep an eye out just to be sure.  :-)
I have a Jack Russell about 10months old. he is around 20lbs. I threw a used condom into the garbage and he somehow fished it out and swallowed it in a matter of seconds!! Due to his size and the fact that it was a magnum is it still possible that it will go through his system? I called the vet and they told me just to watch him but I am concerned. Does anyone know of anything that I can give him to make him vomit it out?
It's already past his stomach and into the intestines.  Do NOT induce vomiting!  Your vet gave you correct advice.  As long as the condom is moving through, your dog won't have any symptoms or trouble.  If it gets stuck, your dog will be very noticeably bloated and ill.  At that point it's an emergency and surgery likely needed.  Try to stay calm and keep an eye on him.  Oh yeah, and buy trash cans with self-closing lids.  :-)
My rottie, 1 year old, ate a condom last night out of the trash. She seems okay, but had diarrhea this morning and has been eating a lot of grass lately. Activity level is the same and has a slight (meaning she ate about 2/3 of what she normally eats) decrease in food intake. How long does it take for the condom to pass? If I dont see it come out by tomm. I am thinking of taking her to the vet. Any advice?
You will absolutely know if your dog is not feeling well.  Watch for lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting...he will not feel well if anything is stuck in his intestines. The way you feel when you've eaten something bad is pretty much how your dog will feel also, and it will be very evident.

My dog passed a 14 in scarf (intact!) once, but had to have surgery for dental floss.  Go figure.  Our trash cans are now inside our cabinets!!
I am house sitting, and one of the dogs ate the condom. Unfortunately, the owners come back in two days, and I really don't want them to find the condom in the dog's poop. Can I give the dog laxatives to ensure that it passes before they owners return?
Can you ring a local vet to ask advice about what to do? It is possible the condom will pass without any trouble, but the vet will be able to advise you. Any signs of blockage, ie: vomiting, or trying to vomit without success, signs of pain or distress, lethargy, etc, that dog needs to be taken to ER or to a regular vet very quickly.
omg C2009, I'm in the EXACT SAME situation.. what did you do? I'm stressing~ I don't want the house owners to c it~
Some of this thread is really old, and some of it is from a few weeks ago, so you may or may not get a reply from C2009.... Don't know.

In the meantime, you got me.

My humble opinion....never mind the house owners, for now. Condoms are the least of their worries. If I were you I'd concentrate on the dog. That condom could be his BIGGEST worry.
It is possible he will pass it naturally, but be on the alert for ANY signs of distress over the next 24 hours....any vomiting/trying to vomit/signs of pain/shivering, or shaking/refusing food/not able to do a bowel movement. If you are worried and not sure, call the local vet for advice. If any of the above signs happen take him to the ER vet straight away.

Where should we start? When my Yorkie ate a condom and hours later threw it up in front of a room full of friends? He's fine. Nothing bad, except for my embarrassment.
I just had the same thing happen with my dog. I called the vet about ten minutes after he ate the condom and she asked me how much he weighed (40 lbs) and the size of the condom (snickering aside, large) and then she instructed me to induce vomiting by giving him 2 table spoons of hydrogen peroxide and then watch him for 15-20 minutes. If he hasn't thrown up by then, repeat the procedure. Luckily, he threw up within a few minutes, condom and all.

My advice is to CALL YOUR VET. If the condom gets stuck, your dog will most likely need surgery. So do yourself a favor and talk to your vet before getting advice from the internet.
My little dog has eaten many a condom in her short puppy months.  I have steady sex with different girls on a daily basis (because I am a mack daddy).  I have seen condoms infused with doodoo on the living room floor and in the yard.  She is still a perfect puppy.  My advice to you is to let nature take its course.  By that I mean let the dog poop out the weiner bag.  If you notice the dog not breathing and/or dead, the condom has probably killed your dog.  In that case, it is over and done with, and you need to be more careful with the post-sex condom toss.  Get your lazy *** up and flush the drip bag.
I have a pit bull and a toy chuwawa. One of my dogs ate a used condom my boyfriend put on the floor. If my chuwawa ate it is it more likely he would die?
I would call your vet for advice. Whichever dog ate it, it is possible the condom could pass through ok, but it is also possible it could get blocked. I'm not sure the procedure for this, but I am sure the vet will tell you what is best to do.
My small dog just ate a condom will it pass?
Dear Cathy, the bigger question is why did you have condoms where one of your two dogs could get it in the first place? And second, you should definitly get both of the dogs to the er immediatly. My brother had a condom in his room and my dog ate it and my dog died 2 hours later in the er so you should definitly get it to the er asap.
Although this is common for dogs to grab and eat anything, you need not
speak too much about this since Rush and Rick Santorum may pay you
a visit and give you aspirins and take those evil things out of you home!
They may call you a bunch of bad names too, since it seems this is the new trend to put women in their place and asking them to dress like Amish. Sad new trend in American politics turning back the clock some 150 years.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have a similar problem with your dog, please start a new post. It will get a LOT more attention.

To post a question: Go to the top of this page, and click on the orange button on the left where it says "Post a Question". Then simply add a title for your question, and underneath, describe the problem (in as much detail as you like). Add "tags" if you wish, using main keywords in what you have written (but you don't have to)  If you wish to add a photo, click on "Add Photo", just underneath the "Tags" section.Then scroll down a little, and click on the green button where it says "post a Question". And your question will be displayed immediately on the Dogs Community page.
Thank you Ginger....This thread is over 4 years old!!!!
When would you know if the condom your dog ate was causing problems? It's been 4 hours and my dog still seems fine
My bloody dog ate two this morning and the girlfriends mum is looking after her today, hope she doesn't spot them coming out. one was bright green :-/ lol