Dogs Community
Dog has 1 itchy leg, red spots

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Dog has 1 itchy leg, red spots

My dog keeps chewing her back leg, there are 5 or 6 bald, flakey spots, some are red and scabbed over. She has been to the vets 3 times, tested for fleas and mites and none were found, she was given antibiotics on 2 occasions and each time the itch has come back. We bath her 2 - 3 times a week with medicated epi soothe shampoo from the vets, we have tried giving her coat conditioner (recommended for dry, itchy skin) and itch stick (leaves bitter taste so she won't lick). She also wears a cone when alone and at night time, we have not changed her food and there is nothing else new in the house which may bring it on. The vet suggested eczema but i dont know how to treat that. Obviously the vet bills are topping up now and i'm running out if ideas, any suggestions??
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your dog. If its eczema I would assume you could treat it like human eczema. Many dog disorders you can treat just like you would a human.

It puzzles me that it is on that one leg. Have you tried to see if maybe she has a tick bite or something. I don't know if tick bites could cause what you are describing. It's obvious your dog has an irritation of some sort on that leg. I am also wondering if it can't be neuro related. I know that sounds weird but my grandmother was told her dog is just prone to scratch, that something in his brain tells him to. He has bit at his paws till they are red and have sores in them.

Well goodluck!!! Sorry I couldn't be more help
Avatar n tn
Thanks for replying.

I did consider that it might just be habit and all in her head, but she is almost 9 and don't understand how it could happen so suddenly.

The very first time we spotted it, it was on her front leg but that has cleared up since and has never returned, now its just on that one back leg.

The tick bight might treatment might be worth a try. Thanks for your help.
Glad you did go to the Vet.  Skin issues can be so hard to deal with.  Have you used any new cleaning products in the house?  Have you sprayed or put anything on the lawns?  It could be a behavior issue but, if it were me, I would try washing that leg once a day with half water and half apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes then rinse and dry.