Dogs Community
Endings for Untreated Cushings in Dogs

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Endings for Untreated Cushings in Dogs

My 14.5 yr old beagle was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease a few months ago. He is nearly blind and deaf already - we decided not to put him through the treatment. My question is how do most older dogs with untreated Cushing's begin to fail? I would really like to minimize any suffering in his final days. Right now, I am red-flagging every little twitch and thinking if I knew what to expect, I could calm down a little and hopefully not send any frightened messages to Spartacus. He is currently on Proin to control his urine accidents and that has worked for a few months now. Would just really prefer to look at him with joy rather than fear these days. Thanks, in advance, for your knowledge & stories.
I don't have any good advice about what you can expect to happen, but I definately agree with you that you should try to be calm in front of him, being deaf and blind, he needs all the help and calmness he can get.  Take each day as it comes, if he's in pain make sure he has meds, and simply enjoy him and do his favorite things with him as long as you can.  Good Luck.
Thanks - I've heard about muscular problems, seizures and other things that happen to Cushings dogs and would appreciate hearing others' stories for what to watch out for as he approaches his 15th birthday.
Hi there...I am terribly sorry to hear about your lil guy.  I lost my Sadie to this horrible disease.  She had just turned 10.  To keep a long story short, you've gotta have alot of patience.

Sadie weighed only 11 lbs and her first signs were eating, alot!  She would try to out eat my boxer/bulldog.  She was constantly hungry but after fiding out about Cushing's, I knew it was the disease.  I went from feeding her once in the morning and once in the evening to 3 smaller meals throughout the day.  Another thing is the thirst, it's insatiable.  She would drink constantly.  They shed, she would get lil white mole looking things everywhere.  Then she started getting really weak.  She would go out to potty, but I'd have to help her down the steps (I'm not going to let her stumble and risk falling) and I'd help her back up.  She normally would go wayyy out in the back yard but she barely made it into the yard as she grew weaker.  She was tired all the time.  I made sure she wasn't in any pain as I was told she wouldn't live through surgery, nor would the meds help.  I decided to let her live her final days at home around the people she loved.  The first time I took her to the vet was in Nov. 2010, I wasn't convinced it was "liver disease" so I got a 2nd opinion in Feb of 2011 and was diagnosed Cushing's and I lost her in May on that year. :(   She was my princess (and baby since I dont have any children) and I loved her so much and loved her MORE than I ever could during those last months.  The vet told me she wasn't in any pain and just to expect her to grow weak and she did.  

Just love him as much as possible, be his best friend as he needs you now more than ever.  I wish you the best!!  And again, I'm so sorry to hear.   If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
my 10 yr. old Bassett hound was just diagnosed with cushings. my vet wants me to spend $211.00 dollars a month to treat her, which i cannot afford. i wish i could if it would help. so my question is when your dog was diagnosed did your vet mention giving your dog the medicine or think it would be better to just let it be and do like you did. i guess what iam trying to ask is -is it really going to make that much difference if you treat them or not at this age or is it just basically prolonging there suffering? just was wondering what your opinion is and if your vet said anything.
Thanks for all the posts - an update on Spartacus, my beagle with untreated Cushings. He was diagnosed at 14.5 and he hung on for another year until we decided to have him put down at 15.5 yrs old. To answer my own question for anyone who's decided not to treat Cushings - in our case, his progression was slow but nothing major. His eyesight worsened over that year, his hearing worsened but mostly his kidneys worsened to the point where he was wearing a diaper all the time and was wanting to go outside every 1-3 hours all day and all night long. He didn't have any other issues.

As for his meds, he had been on thyroid meds for years already, and we added in one to help with his bladder. Finally, they suggested one to help with his liver function that was pricey ($60 extra i think) and it seemed too late for that med.

For LynnBob with the Bassett - there is no cure for Cushings so there's no guarantee. For us, it seemed cruel to put a 14.5 yr old dog through chemo (which is the recommended treatment) and am glad we decided not to do that. Good luck with your decision - its never easy.
Vectoryl has been an affordable treatment for canine cushings. I spend about $90 a month for it at Coscto for my dog and it worked for two years. Hope this helps someone.
I have a miniature schnauzer whom we have been treating for Cushings for about a year. He took Vetoryl for months and in his monthly stem test vet noticed he is starting to show signs of Addison's disease (opposite of Cushings) so took him off the Vetroyl for 30 days. Ill tell you that he was a completely different dog while being treated with the meds!! On the meds he is like a puppy again and totally worth he money. Our family had to give up a couple things to be able to afford his treatments but our dogs a member of our family so we don't mind. We are actually putting him back on the Vetroyl but at a lower dose. This way we will continue to treat the symptoms but not cause him to develop Addison's disease. We will continue to treat him for the rest of his life ( he is 10) because we have seen the amazing difference in his quality of life while being treated!!!  
I just want to thank you for being such a good pet owner.  So many people claim they can't afford treatment for their pet, but your family is willing to give up things so you can .  Your vet sound like he is up to date on treatments, and I'm so glad your dog has improved. I wish you continued good luck.
i have a 15.5 female schnauzer, she is blind and deaf, in the last 6 months she has undergone 2 surgeries one for a lump on her neck and recently had a toe removed as it had a growth. She is now panting a lot, eating a lot drinking a lot and as the pot belly so I know she has cushings disease. In March of this year I lost my other female schnauzer to diabetes, being diagnosed 6 months before hand she was 13.5 years old. I will not be putting Sasha through any more treatment I will nurse her to the end best I can once she shows signs of pain I will do the right thing, watching my other dog deteriate so rapidly broke my heart. Having to inject her twice daily which she always hated broke my heart and I will not put my eldest through anymore treatments........my dogs mean the word to me ..... Totally but to keep putting her through all this is not fair, forget the money side of things, she now needs quality of life and love from us which she gets 200% just to add both my dogs are mini schnauzers x
It is so hard when our friends get old, it breaks your heart to see them sick.  My dog is 15, and doing okay right now for her age, but I know at anytime something can come up.  We also  have 7 old cats, and one of them was just diagnosed with heart disease.  They give you so much pleasure and love, but it is so hard in the end.  I wish you luck with helping Sasha, shes a lucky dog to be so loved.
I have a 12yr old dachshund that we go to the vet tomorrow but from first signs looks to have all the symptoms of cushings, The only question I have as he has been breathing funny as of late and very restless. I checked his nose cause I heard him in the corner crying and his nose was completely plugged. both nostrals were dried and plugged. gave him warm bath and got his nose wet to ease pain of me removing the debris so he could breath. Has anyone seen this?  im worried about tomorrows vet visit and its out come. Wish my family and me luck. I will not let him suffer though after looking into his eyes last night.
I don't remember our dog having problems with congestion when she had Cushings, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is also a symptom, there are so many.  Let us know how you make out, Good Luck.
I have a 9 year old ShiZu and he has had Cushings for about two years.
I only have to have his test done twice a year. My Vet put him of trilostane
and I get a 90-day supply at DiamondBack Drugs in Arizonia for about
$90.00 my vet wanted $86.00 for 30-day supply. Cushings can be managed. Out dog had a huge pot belly and lost a lot of his hair and had
a lot of sores. Since he has been on the medicine he has grown back his
hair and his appetite is curb somewhat. He will eat all the time if you let him, but you have to feed your dog and then take up the food. I don not
know how long he will be with us, but a least this medicine helps, good luck.
just to add to my comments above. My dachshund was diagnosed with cushings, stage 6 heart murmur, and possible prostate cancer. Our little guy lost his battle and went to heaven on 11-1-14. Will be greatly missed.
Our Pomeranian is 12 1/2 and has been diagnosed with cushings. Difficulty breathing is one of the signs. My vet said a dog should be breathing 30 times a minute. We chose not to put him through surgery and enjoying the time we have left. He is losing the ability to use his rear legs. I help him up and massage them until he can walk. His liver is enlarged and he is slowing down. I know the time is coming soon and my heart is breaking. They are my life. My other Pom is diabetic and 14 1/2, but doing well with morning and night injections. Prayers to you and your baby.
Malibu406, I'm so sorry for your little guy.  Cushings is a horrible disease to watch your dog go through.
My dog has cushings and instead of putting her on meds that would ruin her kidneys, etc, (and the fact I was unemployed at the time), I went through PetWellbeing.com and ordered their "Harmony Gold" for dogs with cushings.  Within one week her panting (which was excessive) diminished about 90% and her bloaty abdomen went back to normal.  She is 14.5 years old now, been on the meds for two years.  It is now that she is deteriorating fast due to cushings.  I don't expect her to make it much longer, but that product gave me two additional years.  She is starting to get mild seizures (mostly disorientation) and mild muscle spasms.  She still manages to go outside to potty and just wants to be near me.  She sleeps all the time and hasn't eaten hardly anything in days, but still drinks water.  Her time is nearing an end.  This is the second dog I have had with Cushings.  
Try looking at products with Petwellbeing.  I treated my dog with their product for cushings.  I have posted already if you wish to read.  Bless our pets!!
    My 15 yr old dachshund passed last month from pituitary dependent cushings related issues. She had been struggling with seizures for a year and a half before she suddenly developed a tooth root abscess and was unable to heal from. Sadly, it forced me to put her to sleep w/ in a week. Her teeth didn't seem so bad, though I wanted to have them cleaned last year to be on top of her oral care. However, because of her seizures, my vet didn't want to put her through dental surgery/ anesthesia; this was a mistake. She should have referred me to an animal hospital where they can resuscitate.
   When she was diagnosed, I began cooking all of her meals organic, veggies and high quality protein (recipes online), and adding supplements (omega 3, calcium, children's multi) which worked wonders. My single biggest regret is that I didn't brush her teeth every day and add probiotics to her meals every time. Dogs with cushings are highly susceptible to bacterial infections, so feeding probiotics helps the entire system, including the mouth hygiene. So GIVE PROBIOTICS WITH EVERY MEAL. I also recommend blood test at least every four months on schedule, as you never know when the symptoms will cause a cascading effect on the bodily functions. My dog ended up turning a sharp corner in the end that I feel could have been softened if I had been only slightly more rigorous with these key elements.
   I had decided last year with my vet to just manage her symptoms, ie seizures, with anticonvulsants and diet because she was nearly 14 when she was diagnosed, and the treatments are harsh on the body, so we decided to take it easy on her with the meds. If I had to do it again, I would treat it more aggressively and hope for the best. The medication that seems to have the best reviews over all is called Vetoryl. I now think by shrinking the tumor with this medicine, then managing the subsequent side effects of treatment is the superior approach for dogs under 14. Make sure to google/ research the heck out of Cushing as it is very complex, and you'll want to make sure your vet can refer you to a specialist as symptoms become more serious. Get second and third opinions, etc. Drs don't truly understand this illness very well at all, and tend to have varying opinions on treatments, etc.
     This condition has the potential to be heart breaking, so try to do everything you can asap. It seems like an expensive and difficult process, but just break it down and figure it out, it cannot be ignored or you will regret it. There is nothing like the guilt of losing a pet and feeling like maybe there was something more you could have done to keep them safe. And remember, even if you have a team of highly reputable Drs In your corner, you know your dog better. If you think there's something wrong, there is, do not delay finding the source of the problem.
Take care,
Emily
PS. Use raw coconut oil on dry noses;)
Take care,
Emily
PS. Use raw coconut oil on dry noses;)
Avatar n tn
My little Blue is a 12 year old Toy Manchester Terrier and has struggled for years with various illnesses from idiopathic vestibular disease to regular ear and bladder infections. Last year he was finally diagnosed with Cushing's. I tried the chemo and everything else under the sun until finally I decided to stop treatments and make him as comfortable as possible. The typical symptoms such as gorging on food and water and the frequent urination were part of our daily lives until recently, new ones started coming up. Weakness in the hind legs, weight loss and constant whimpering. Through all of this, he's still alert, hungry, energetic and playful as ever which confuses and frightens me. I will carry him outside 50 times a day to go potty if I have to but when do I draw the line? When do I make that decision to end his suffering? Are there more serious symptoms I should look for?
Sounds like a good decision for your pet - its all so difficult. Best...
What does your vet say about how your dog is?  Does he give advice?  Its a decision only you can make, I know when my dog had Cushings, treatments were unsuccessful and she had absolutely no quality of life.  She would just lay there all day, not playing, eating, anything.  Its so hard to make that decision, I feel for you.
So many of you are so nice to your doggies.  We had our dog, age 12, shitzu, take Vetoryl, for the first 6 months after diagnosis but then decided based on cost to let him go "cold turkey."  He basically only gets up now to drink, eat or pee.  My kids have several times commented that they think he might be dead. It is sad and we may start to shell out for the medication again.  My only question is whether others have had to have expensive testing done every year to check levels.  Our Vet did a $500 test before medication and the another $500 test after a couple of weeks on medication.  Now we are at a year and he won't prescribe anything without another test.
My dog never lasted that long, but if she did I definitely would have had another test, just to see what was going on with her levels.  Good Luck
Thanks for sharing Linda. Sorry about your loss. Was the Cushings the ultimate cause of death?
She never responded well with the Cushings meds, plus the vet wasn't very good treating Cushings dogs.  She got to the point where she would just lay all day, with her head against the wall, and the look on her face told us it was time.  I don't think you'll regret having your dog retested, this way you'll know where you stand, plus your vet can give you his opinion on the test results.  At least then you'll know you've done everything you can.  Good Luck, let us know how you make out.
My beagle/dachshund mix is almost 10 and was diagnosed with atypical Cushing's at around 4 years old in it's early stages after she experienced excessive thirst and frequent urination. We started with natural treatments at the recommendation of our vet - melatonin & flaxseed capsules. She did not really improve and this went on for several years. Next she was started on Trilostane and and could not tolerate even a small doses (became almost unresponsive and had to be given Prednisone to return to her normal state). After a while on the low dose of Trilostane without improvement in her symtoms (symptoms) she was started on Vetoryl. Her dosage was gradually increased to 60 mg/day with absolutely no improvement and she began urinating frequently in the house. The Vetoryl was costing me almost $200/month and the frequent stim tests were over $400 each. At almost $600 month with no improvement,  we discontinued the Vetoryl with the agreement of the vet specialist. Our only other option is  Lysodren which is a chemotherapy agent. I have decided against giving her this medication which I have heard has terrible side effects. I also cannot afford to continue treatment and medication at $600/month. At this point, she is in doggy diapers and we are making the hard decision of when to put her down. I hope others have better success at treating their beloved canine friends who develop Cushings.
I feel for you, I know how hard it is to see a good friend suffer from Cushings, and to try to decide when they have had enough.  It is a horrible disease, and you tried so hard to help her, she is very lucky to have been loved so much.  Please try to find some comfort in that.
4 months ago my chocolate lab Dora (10 yrs old) was diagnosis with diabetes.  I woke up one morning and she was blind.  I took her to the vet and she was tested for diabetes and started her on insulin. The insulin has not brought her blood sugar down much at all even with the increases.  Without testing the vets are pretty sure (99%) she has Cushings disease which she has all symptons (pot belly,increased thirst and food, thinning of her hair (mainly the tail and back area) and not active. She can find her way around the house and to the doggie door to go outside, but is hesitate to go for walks. I took her back last week because one of her eyes will probably have to be removed, I need to take her to the opthamologist to determine this. I spend $450 on her insulin and prescription dog food per month (just for her). The surgery will cost approximately $1400, but is risky with her condition. I have 2 others doggies at home Harley, boxer (3 1/2 yrs) and Pattycakes, pit (6 yrs). I do not make much money, but I would sale everything to help her. I'm sure the disease has been with her at least 1 yr because I take my dogs annually for check ups unless something else is going on.  If I thought the testing and the medication she would need would help her, I'll find the means, but my heart tells me it would not. I had to make decisions with my others babies (4)  when it's time because I don't want them to suffer. I rescue dogs to give the best that I have because I adore them. My heart is so heavy it's almost unbearable. Just seeking some guidance.
My heart goes out to everyone here who has had to confront cushings in their beloved pets. My 9 yr old baby girl (shih tzu) was confirmed about a week ago with the disease. I've noticed her heavy panting for about a year now and at that time the vet said (i think) her liver steroid levels were high and she might have cushings. Recently she was going crazy chewing and licking at her paws and limping a bit. Her hair is thinning along her backside and she does seem a little slower. Vet said these are most probably due to cushings. We did the test and here we are. Now I too am trying to decide if expensive treatment will be beneficial or just prolong the inevitable. We lost another shih tzu last May. He was 10 yrs, but it wasn't cushings. That was almost unbearable. We also have another shih tzu, who is about 5 yrs old.She's fine so far, knock on wood.
I will definetly have to think on this some more. I wish everyone peace in their hearts with whatever decisions you make concerning your pets quality of life. These little angels bring soooo much joy to our lives which makes it soooo hard to say goodbye. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and experiences. Wish me luck
Sounds like your vet is high. It cost me $275.00 for the first test. $65.00 for 30 count 10mg of Vetoryl capsules. The second testing cost me $275.00. They have to do a second test to make sure meds are not to high or low. The difference the Vetoryl made is unreal.She was drinking 4, 64oz bowls of water a day. Going out all day and all night to relieve herself. Panting, starved all the time. Whining. She was miserable and so was I.  My Miniature Schnauzer is 6 years old. 90 days in now....she is once again showing signs of increased water intake, pacing and whining. i think her meds need to be increased, which will require another test. She is on a low dose. I have no way of knowing the journey we are embarked on. I don't know if she feels pain. But I know my muscular beautiful dog is slowly losing muscle mass. I have a lot to learn about the long term effects of Vetoryl as the dosage increases. I try to read everything I can from owners who have dogs with Cushings. My dog never lost her appetite or hair. To top it off my other mini Schnauzer who is also 6 was diagnosed with Pancreatis (pancreatitis) on 3/4/15. So I have my hands full with two gravely ill young dogs. Deciding what to do about each dog will be taken on a day to day basis. I have asked my vet to let me know if he thinks it is time. God Bless everyone here that has to go through this difficult illness with their beloved pet.
I have a 14 yr old Vizsla who had an emergency splenectomy two weeks ago (she had a softball sized mass that had ruptured and was bleeding out into her abdomen) and a malignant tumor removed from her spine in January. We've been aware of the cancer but were told she would pass from old age before it really became an issue. Its just now coming up that she has cushing's disease as well, and in hind sight probably has had it for at least six months. I've been researching and talking with my vet, but am not convinced that treatment will improve her overall quality of life but rather improve some symptoms while creating other side effects. Money isn't really an issue. She's mostly blind and deaf and she is not fully aware of her surroundings. She'll forget that I'm right beside her on the couch and jump/cower when I reach to pet her. her back legs are already so weak she can't go up or down the steps to get outside without help. I work every day and most nights and am worried about leaving her during the day. I just wish I knew what was best for her.
NicoleRob, I don' have any answers for you but I know how you feel.  Our dog is 16 and is in reasonably good health but is  also deaf and has dementia and it is heartbreaking.
One of our cats was diagnosed with diabetes two weeks ago, she also had blood pressure problems.,  After a week of trying to get her diabetes count down to normal, the two vets working on her said she couldn't be helped, and we had to put her to sleep.
It is so hard to see them sick, and even harder to decide what to do.  You wish they would die peacefully in their sleep, but it seldom works that way.  Is your vet any help in deciding what to do?
My heart is with you.  I have recently done studies and found the chemo drugs only control the symptoms but destroy other organs.  Pet Wellbeing has  natural alternatives to help with the diabetes that can be taken with insulin and have not tried the Harmony Gold for cushings.  In my study, the only treatment that does not destroy other organs (and only has a 40% chance of destroying the tumor) is the drug Cabergoline.  I too do rescues so funds are tight (not sure how much this drug would cost and i'm unemployed).  All life needs to be considered.  I will comment further should I put her on the drug.  However, it sounds like your insulin amount is not balanced correctly. Maybe 1 unit more or less would help.  If eating, more is okay, if not eating, less is okay.  My vet recommended 4 units for my Diamond.  Too much if she didn't eat around the same time.  They recommended 2 units if she doesn't eat.  It was too little.  I put her in-between at 3 units and she does okay.  p.s. you can find the study at www.sciencedirect.com on the cushings study.
Our 12 1/2 year old beagle was diagnosed with Cushing's in February.  She had been very hungry and thirsty for a year and I decided to have her tested.  However, in retrospect, I think I should have had the Cushing's run its course.  She was never so thirsty or hungry that my family and I couldn't manage it.  After she was diagnosed, I started her on Vetoryl, Trilosane.  About 7 weeks after she began taking it, she started to show adverse reaction signs to the drug.  She was lethargic, depressed, no appetite and shaking a bit in her hind legs.  I took her to the vet and she had a low red blood cell count - had been 45 for most of her life and when her bloodwork was done prior to starting Trilostane.  Now, 7 weeks later, she was anemic with a red blood cell count of 29.  My vet did not think it was due to the meds, but I am certain that the trilostane contributed towards that.  She ended up showing nodules on her lungs approximately 3 mos. later.  And then passed shortly thereafter.  Although I can't say medically how trilostane harmed her, I feel certain that it changed her and brought on her demise.  Prior to taking the meds, she was always happy and interested in a walk - granted always hungry, but vivacious, full of life.  After taking trilostane, it's as if she shut done.  I feel that in some dogs, the medicine stops their cortisol production and then somehow it triggers something else that causes them to shut down.  I've read now that internal medicine veterinary specialists believe in not treating Cushing's and letting it run its course.  I also believe my vet was negligent in not running a full blood test workup after about 2 weeks of the dog taking trilostane.  Even the makers of trilostane, Dechra that produce Vetoryl recommend having a dog's blood tested. But they are only guidelines and vets don't have to follow any specific standards.  If you are thinking of starting your dog on Trilostane, do your research, start with the lowest possible dose, have their bloodwork checked regularly and really say to yourself: do you they have a good quality of life except for being hungry and thirsty?  If so, leave them be.
I agree with you about the Trilosane.  Our dog was put on it, and after she started getting worse I read the package directions that said dogs should be retested after being on the drug, our vet never did.  When I told him to it turns out she had too much in her system and it caused a reverse effect, so then she had to be put on steroids.  She never improved, and not long after we had her put to sleep, she was so bad.  Cushings is a horrible disease to watch your dog go through, and  I don't know what I'd do if it happened to another one of my dogs, but I do know I would go to a vet that specializes in the disease and not our regular one.  
My heart goes out to all of you.  This desease is brutal. I put my 14yr old maltese down two weeks ago. The hardedt decision i have ever made. I loved my little dolce so much. He started limping, anf vet attributed it to arthritis. 1 year later it progressed to weakness in front legs. Weakness eased when i did daily full body massages, up and down back, limbs, and stretching of limbs as well. Two months ago, he started panting, trying to balance on hind legs and falling backwards, he did this all day long. After dome X rays and blood work, vet said he might neef more tests by a specialist but dhe was certain it was cushings. Prescribed selegiline, steroids, and tramadol in case of any pain. After 4 weeks, besides sleeping alot, and getting weaker, i started pureeing his food, and having eat out of my palm brought up to his mouth while sittin in up right in my lap. He could not drink unless i was home to bring the water up to his mouth. He however was famished and thirsty. Panting continued, peeing even in his bed which told me it was time. He ran away from the smell of his own pee, now he would lie in it till i came home to wash everything. He would poop and fall backwards in it. He had trembles in his front legs too. He had been blind and deaf for two years, but my tough baby still tried to play with me through his misery. He is free now, but I still cry when i think of him. Hope this helps someone. Good luck!!
How do you determine which probiotics are best?  So many to choices.
My Mickey blue eyes is 13 and diagnosed a few months ago. The vet told me his type could be treated with medication.  I decided that the side effects were bad and didn't want to put him through that. I'm rethinking my decision.  He's alway been a nervous dog but he shakes off and on. His hind legs are week of course,  pants, whines a lot and has typical signs but I'm wondering if I should go back to  the vet or can I get the meds myself. I cant afford a lot but I will do what is necessary.  Oh one last thing, is he in any pain? Most say no. Thanks for your anticipated help
Max, almost 10 year old Beagle, has some classic Cushing's signs: pot belly, excessive panting, excessive thirst/urination, doggie pimples. He is a 15" beagle and overweight, about 38 lbs. and has hurt himself on a few occasions jumping off beds or couches. The eternal diet and walk routine has not lowered his weight. Lately, all access to high surfaces such as beds has been closed off. Today I came home and he had torn the bed sheets to shreds and urinated in the bed (my fault b/c the bedroom door was left ajar!). Presumably, he is afraid to jump off high surfaces since injuries. But peeing the bed is a first. Again, I blame myself! His vet appointment is tomorrow morning, and I suspect a long road of tests, meds, costs, quality of life decisions.  Thank you all for these posts. It helps to know you are not alone.  Loving our children together, Robin.
I wish you luck tomorrow,Robin.   Here's hoping its not Cushings.
My 11 year old Mini Schnauzer probably has Cushings.  She had signs a couple years ago and was tested.  To our surprise, me and the vet, she did not have Cushings.  She is showing signs again; panting, back legs shaking, pot belly, increased appetite, urinating in the hous, and skin issues.  I don't really want to test her again and not even sure I would treat it.  Yet I feel guilty not testing and treating.  She still enjoys her short walks even though her back legs shake.  She seems to be affected some time but not other times.  She was urinating in the house and drinking a lot but now is not.  Is this common with untreated Cushings?  I just don't know what to do.  It isn't really a financial issue as much as a quality of life.  I'm sure I could find a way to pay for it all but it seems the treatment can be bad as well.  After reading about the meds they may treat the Cushings but their side effects are just as awful.  Please help.  I'd love to hear more from those of you that decided not to treat Cushings.
I think your being a little judgmental all these people do the best they could do ,we are a last stages with our 11 year old Shid Tzu ,we are retire and Cushing is a expensive disease be a little kinder in when you make a comment about  ! glad the family could make a sacrifice not everyone can do that and they love there pets just as much. Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about ! Be kind always that include dog owners.
I think your being a little judgmental all these people do the best they could do ,we are a last stages with our 11 year old Shid Tzu ,we are retire and Cushing is a expensive disease be a little kinder in when you make a comment about  ! glad the family could make a sacafice not everyone can do that and they love there pets just as much. Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about ! Be kind always that include dog owners.
God bless little Dolce and cudos to a great mommy. I'm so sorry for your loss of Dolce. I too have a little Maltese, male named McDuff (after the children's book), whom the Doc suspects Cushings. The doc wants me to have an $800.00 ultrasound to confirm what type of Cushings my baby may have. My little guy is peeing on himself when sleeping, excessive urination, lethargic, loves his food, drinks a lot of water and is pot bellied. Sometimes he wimpers for no apparent reason. We've had him for 15 years. UTI and diabetes have been ruled out and initial urine test indicating Cushings has been done. I don't want to leave him untreated but the initial diagnosis process seems overly expensive. Our Vet has been around a long time and seems to know what he is doing but I feel bad delaying treatment due to high cost. Somehow I will come up with the money or shop around with other Vets because I want my fur baby to have good quality of life. Thank you for taking such good care of little Dolce in his time of need. You're an angel.
Hi everyone

We just put down our 14 year old shih-tzu who had Cushing's disease. She was diagnosed with it around 5 years ago and we immediately put her on Vetoryl which helped a lot. I would say it definitely gave her quality of life until the end stages (roughly the last couple of months).
The initial symptoms of the disease in our dog were: eating a lot, overweight, pot belly, thin fur.   She did very well for the past 4 years. Then last year her back legs gradually stopped working so we got a little wheelchair for her so she could still walk. Over the past few months she wasn't able to control her bowels/urinating so there were quite a few accidents in the house. She gradually became weaker and starting having seizures. After a bad seizure this week we took her to the vet as we knew the end was nearing. Blood tests showed her kidneys were basically no longer functioning and we knew it was time to let her go.
I hope this information helps anyone else with a dog with Cushings and knowing potentially what to expect.
We have a Doxie with Cushings, we have to get her meds from a compounding pharmacy and a blood test every three months. She is doing fine, she doesn't drink water as much as she did (one of the signs) and not having accidents anymore in the house.
You have my heart. My almost 10 yr old boxer is having a rough time but I just don't think she'd handle Big Pharma very well. Man, this is hard. I'll treat her naturally as long as I can...
We just let our Corgi go this week at 13.  I work full time and had no idea what Cushings was until I brought him in last year due to the panting, I thought he had heart trouble.  Other symptoms I unfortunately chalked up to old age.  My vet wanted him to go into another city for an overnight suppression test and follow up (at a cost of $1200).  My dog had high blood pressure in addition to Cushings and got nosebleeds when he got stressed so I decided to bypass any treatment and kept him for this last year as comfortable as I could.  He was already somewhat blind and deaf, and the incontinence just got worse - all he knew at the end was hunger and thirst, and he would pee while standing at his water bowl drinking.  He was starting to struggle to get up the one flight of stairs in and out of my apartment and I couldn't carry him since he was a very large Corgi, think German Shepard with stumpy legs.  It became time to either diaper him and watch him get worse or let him go while he was still mobile and weak but happy.  I can't think of anything worse than letting it go to the point where he was getting seizures.  It was hard to do, but he walked into the vet's office on his own and went gently to sleep with all of us fawning over him instead of a frenzied round of calls in the middle of the night to find a 24 hour vet to help him, which is where this was all soon heading.  When in doubt, ask an impartial person for advice.  Sometimes you have to remove your heart from the situation and use your common sense instead and you don't see how sick they are when you are with them every day.  I feel at peace knowing he was with people who loved him enough to let him go when the quality of life was still good.
I have a 16 yr old Doxie that has had Cushing's for the last 4 yrs. She is on a low dose of Vetoryl and is doing well on it. I have a very experienced country vet and he has me bring Tootsie in yearly for testing to see where her levels are. We recently added an additional 10mg of Vetoryl every other day and she is tolerating the medicine and seems happy. She sleeps a lot! But she is very old. She feels the best first thing in the morning and wants to play with her sister who is a 15 yr old Pug. I am pleased with the quality of life Tootsie has and we have had all these years added to our time together. Chubaca has her own health issues some of which are due to her breed and some due to her age. All together I spend $150 a month between the two seniors but it is so worth it. They have been with me through thick and thin and I'm happy to return the favor. I know my girls will let me know when it is their time to go. In the meantime I cherish every moment I have with them. Good luck to those out there dealing with a pets health issues. I wish you all God Speed.
My dog gets a low dose of Trilostan, krill oil for the heart, milk thistle for the liver, and Denosyl every day.  He was diagnosed over 3 years ago and is 13 years old. No hair loss, body sores, excessive eating or drinking. No constant urination either.  However his breathing is a bit laboring at night. Will get him checked this week for that.
My dog is 15 and has had Cushings for a couple of years. Besides all the other problems with disease, she now has is itching excessively and has sores all over her body. The vet game me some shampoo and skin drops to put on her, but it hasn't helped. I rub aloe plant leaves and calamine lotion on her at times to sooth it for a little while. Some of the sores are pretty bad and looks like they are not healing. Has anyone else had the skin issues this bad?
Chloebaby1, My 11 1/2 Cocker Spaniel most likely has Cushings.  The vet called with her opinion which is what I had already researched.  My dog started losing fur and it doesn't grow back, limping, itchy skin, lesions and licking constantly. She can't get up the stairs in our house anymore and one morning, there was a huge puddle on our rug and vomit in the dining room.  I am not testing her for Cushings because in my heart, I know that's what it is.  She has most of the symptoms and talking about the tests and meds, it is expensive and there are no guarantees.  The side effects from the meds can be nasty as you said.  I won't put my precious girl through that or myself.  We will spend the rest of her days enjoying each day as best we can.  Yes, our walks are slower and shorter but we still take them.  Diva will let us know when the time is right.  I also worry about her being in pain and only hope that she's not.  She never whimpers, thank god, because that would kill me.  Each individual has to make their own decision for their beloved pets - they can't tell us.  Never feel guilty about the decision you make.  Pray for my girl and I will also pray for all of you who love your pets so much.  
I had my lovely Westie put to sleep this week due to unconfirmed Cushing's. He was given  tests & nothing showed up. He gradually went downhill in the space of a week. I ended up hand feeding him chicken & after a couple of days he refused that, he became weaker & weaker. Prior to this at night I was carrying him up & down the stairs so he could drink lots of water & then go into the garden to pee. This was 3 or 4 times a night! On his last fateful day he was so very week. I managed to walk him down the road where I felt I was dragging him (how I regret that in hindsight). We came home & he seemed very bewildered. This was when I knew it was time. Am absolutely heartbroken ,he was my world. Wish I could've tried some meds but they wouldn't let me have anything without a confirmed diagnosis. Sad times
Just found this site -- thank you all, it's very helpful.  By sheer coincidence, when DivaMarie posted on Nov. 9th, two posts above, that was the day I decided to free my 15yo, 70lb Lab/Chow mix Frida from further pain.  After 11 years of practically zero health issues, she had a few Cushing's-type symptoms develop at age 11 -- PU/PD (excessive drinking/peeing), her gorgeous thick tail turned into more or less a rattail, potbelly, a few other miscellaneous symptoms.  Lots of testing, including going to UC Davis, the #2 vet school in the country, near Sacramento (I'm in San Francisco), and there was simply no evidence of Cushing's, no increased cortisol or abnormality with her adrenals or pituitary -- unless, of course, we got a false negative.  But, we chalked her symptoms up to (a) Diabetes Insipidus, also known as "water diabetes" or "the other diabetes," where the problem isn't lack of insulin but ADH - the anti-diuretic hormone; and (b) Hypothyroidism.   So we put her on (a) Desmopressin (believe it or not, eyedrops -- but can also be injected like insulin), and (b) Thyro-tabs.  Both worked absolute wonders:  her excessive drinking/peeing stopped, her weight went completely back to normal, some symptoms like frequent nail breakage and excessive anal gland problems went away -- although the hair thinning seemed a lost cause as far as reversal.   After 3 years of success with still no evidence of Cushing's, earlier this year at age 14, slowly some symptoms were creeping up, although we didn't make the connection -- until looking back at it now.  Even though I almost go to the vet at the drop of a hat (I had very good pet insurance for Frida), for some odd reason we missed doing a blood test at the 3-month interval, which is suggested for geriatric (vs. senior) dogs and when we finally got to doing the bloodwork a full 6 months after the previous one, we were stunned to find high liver levels and the vet immediately suspected Cushing's, which was confirmed -- and the LDDS test showed her cortisol level to be extremely high -- she probably had actually been dealing with that for at least 3 or 4 months, same as someone mentioned above.   The only problem with all this:  although there was slight increase in appetite over the summer, not but one week after the Cushing's diagnosis, Frida started to experience DECREASED appetite.  Then, at the same time, by some strange coincidence, instantaneously, hind-leg weakness, more hair thinning on the flanks, and her PU/PD came back, despite the desmopressin.  I realize this is getting a bit long, so I'll just say that, in the end, an x-ray showed a tumor on her lung (the day I put her to sleep), although not entirely substantiated that it was the cause of the decreased appetite -- some of that may have just been what some described above as the Cushing's taking its toll in the later stages.  But I do feel that we spent a little too much time trying to link the decreased appetite somehow to the Cushing's and not looking at it as a completely separate issue.  It's been a painful 3 weeks she's been gone, missing her beyond belief -- I have no partner, no children, she has been my one true soulmate -- and going through the grieving process, majorly in the "guilt" phase ("I shoulda done this," "I should have gone to that specialist instead of the one I went to who didn't push enough", etc. etc), but working towards less guilt and more happy tears!   FYI: As some of what I discussed above was not mentioned at all in earlier posts (e.g., Desmopressin & Thyro-tabs), please feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them as best I can.  Thank you, everyone, your posts, and my writing of the above -- extremely cathartic!  :)
Our sweet daisy Mae was 14 when we discovered she had cushings . The disease took a fast hold on her she first began wetting herself and she was a very proud soul so she began to withdraw . We had her back and fourth to the vet but at her age they recommend we just let her be . Her body began to spread out very overweight but her legs had got weak and her back side started to get raw from urinating all the time. We kept ointments and you name it we did for her until one day we came home to find her suffering and bleeding from her nose . We paniced and rushed her back to the vet at this point the vet told us it was in her best interest to put her down. We had her for 14 years and losing her that day is still one of the most painful things our family went thru . We lost a part of us that day but my point of the story is this is a very cruel and painful disease she kept urinary infections and in the end we still talk as a family and wonder if we let her suffer to long holding on to hope and feeding her medications in the end we lost the fight. But not one question to the fact she was the smartest beautiful dog with so much personality!! Would not trade those 14 years for anything . Be strong and most of all kind and forgiving and loving because this disease takes your dogs ability to control their bodies .
My 10 year old Boston Terrier is showing signs of cushings. We did the ACTH and it came back negative so now vet wants to try ultrasound, which will cost 450 on top of the other 600 I've spent. What tests were run for your pets to get the Cushings diagnosis?
We do the test as needed.  If it looks like our dog needs a higher dosage we give it to her.  She has been diagnosed for 6 years and has just started to show signs of aging .  She is a 13 year old lab.  I have spent a lot of money but I wouldn't do it differently.  I honestly think she probably has something else going on with her other than her Cushings now but I don't want to take her to the vet because I don't want them to give me bad news.  My recommendation and my experience says to use common sense.
I have a 12-year-old Beagle who today has been diagnosed with Cushings. I had taken him in because he was losing weight, drinking more and having more bowel movements. We don't know what kind yet, adrenal or brain. So not sure where we're going from here. Has anyone had the weight loss, excessive BMs??
My 13.5 Pomeranian was diagnosed with Cushings in the late stages.  She used to love to eat and now only eats a little if I put the food in front of her. She had a couple of seizures and hurt her left leg 2 weeks ago.  She only sleeps and doesn't do much of anything.  She looks so weak and sad. It makes me so sad to see her this way. ="(  Does anyone know how much longer I will have with her before she goes?  It breaks my heart knowing she is going to leave me soon. Thanks for reading.
My 9 year old Maltese, Gus,  was diagnosed yesterday with Cushings Disease.  He doesn't have excessive thirst, but he wants to eat all the time.  He has hind leg weakness (which is why I brought him to the vet), pot belly and pants a lot.  He is going in for additional testing in 2 days to confirm diagnosis.  I just don't know what to do - Treat or don't treat.  I do not want to extend his life if he is suffering.  But if it means his life would be extended and he would be the happy "pup" I know him to be, that would change things.  I've been his mother since he was 8 weeks old and only weighed 2 pounds.  This is heartbreaking.  
It was really good to see everyone's stories so I thought I would add mine...
Our 11 year old collie-cross, Bobby, was diagnosed last October after some very strange symptoms of hunger....literally attacking the bin, drinking so much, panting and just looking very sad....this went on to weeing on the kitchen floor, constantly and looking really sad about it :( It was confirmed with the ACTH test but, the problem has been controlling it. He started on low dose Vetoryl, I think 60mg but now we are having to try double, 120mg, as nothing is bringing the levels down......I think if this doesn't improve things we will have to say goodbye to him as going from a happy, energetic dog to a lethargic, saddened dog is really not fair. We will enjoy him and love him all the more for now !
Hello
We are taking our 4 year old Silver Labrador in the morning to the Vet. She is being tested for Cushings. She displays so many signs. Drinks lots of water, goes out to potty many times, her coat is not right for a lab and hair is very thin. She has had a compromised immune system and had to be treated on antibiotics a few times.
I know she needs this appt to get everything checked. They are keeping her all day which we hate because our dogs are always with us except when they were spayed and neutered ( never boarded. travel with us). She hates going to the vet for shots/check ups because every since she was spayed she has never been the same. You can't touch her belly or paws. We can but no one else can or she will growl/show teeth and could bite.  We had all sorts of test done post op but nothing. Normal spay surgery.  She started showing signs the last year and a 1/2 but they kept testing for diabetes and thyroid and never Cushings.  Any thoughts? Advice? Does the injection they give for the process make them sick?  Thanks for your help. Sending her with her blanket and will be checking on her :-)  Our dogs are our kids.
I'm sorry your girl is having issues...I HOPE an aswer is found
for her and for you.
I'd really appreciate if you could come back and let us ( me)
know what your vet did to find out if it is Cushings? Tests?
I've always been told it is really hard to establish the dog for
Cushings,lots of testing and not a definate answer but I may
be wrong and there are better ways to know now for sure??
I have a dog who I am wondering if he may have Cushings
his Thyroid and all CBC blood work is fine..
Jan
Anyone deal with peeling, cracked, dry nose? Not sure if this is a symptom or not. She is already diagnosed with Cushings and we are not treating but this is a new symptom that ha popped up.
My 11 year old miniature Schnauzer, Rodney has Cushing's and a terrible heart murmur. He's been panting a lot over the past few months and heavily drinking. Lately, over the past week his breathing has gotten worse. Its horse and you can tell he's having trouble. I haven't found any way online to try and ease his painting or shallow breathing. I'm desperate. He's my best friend and I'm so terrified to lose him. My question is, is there any way I can help ease his breathing or panting? The funds aren't there to take him in for treatment, plus the vet said there wasn't much they could even do. I feel so helpless knowing he's so sad and hurting. My other question is, once this starts happening with the breathing, since its getting worse, does that mean his time may be up soon? Please, any advice or help would be appreciated.
I have a shitzu that is around 14.5 years old she has always seemed to have seizures and respiratory problems but was told it was part of the breed. Over the last several years she has displayed a majority of symptoms to cushing's but I had not heard of this disease until recently, I just assumed they were things due to her getting older I now am very sure that she has cushings. she was spayed at an older age than normal so when she developed the pot belly I assumed maybe it was a symptom of being spayed at an older age and that it just did not heel well, not to long after this is when she began going to the bathroom a lot in the house its now to the point that she will go outside to potty and come back inside and pee on the floor she also often pee's blood and I am wonder if this is something anyone else has experienced with their pets and cushings? she also has become aggressively hungry and will eat as much as I will let her. I am noticing that her fur on her back is starting to thin and her skin getting a darker appearance, I have not noticed anything involving her legs yet but she does rest for most of the day. At night time she has excessive panting and the only way to get her to stop is if I rub her ears she will lay down and stop panting but when I stop rubbing her ears she begins again, I am wondering if the panting is her being in pain, does anyone know of a way to tell if panting is due to pain? Good luck to all you pet owners also suffering a broken heart watching your beloved doggies go through this, my prayers with you xoxo
I have a 10 year old toy poodle. 5 months ago she started peeing blood and peeing constantly. I took her to the vet and they treated her for very bad urinary tract infection. She improved then when the meds ran out she got it again. She was treated again and has been ok since for that. They did blood test then and said her liver levels were high and wanted her on expensive food for liver issues. I kept complaining telling the vet she pants, pees everywhere, drinks constant, starving all the time and has huge hard bloated belly and has lost over a third of her hair. They then decided after some time to do the blood test for cushings. It came back positive. My vet refuses to do any treatment for that. What a crime in my opinion. We should have that choice. I changed vets and have her on Vetoryl. The medicine is much much cheaper through Valley Vet online. My dog is 12 pounds and she takes the 30mg now and it's about 53.00 per month. She's started at 10mg then 20. We are on our second month of meds and she has improved greatly over the last week. She doesn't finish her meal. Doesn't drink all the time. No more peeing in the house at all. It's the best thing I could have done. Her belly has even gone done. If there is any way you can afford to treat then I advise it. Get the script from your vet and check prices. I found some a couple dollars cheaper but bad reviews. Valley Vet is in USA and they answer immediately and will talk to your vet and call you with any questions. Best customer service ever. I don't know how long my little girl has but I am so happy she seems normal. Good luck to you.
My approx 10-year old beagle just received a confirmed diagnosis for Cushing's.  I brought home Vetoryl for treatment to begin tomorrow, but after reading all the potential serious side effects, I'm having second thoughts.  In reading Adrenal Harmony Gold from Pet Wellbeing, I've decided to give that a try first.  I feel much better about a more natural approach... and praying it will help my baby girl.  Thank you!
If you use the Harmony Gold from Pet Wellbeing, go very slow with it. It can give your furbaby diarrhea & cause vomiting if the dose is too much. Give half the recommended dose to begin to see how she tolerates it.  I have a 14 yr/old Beagle also, & that was my experience.  
Avatar n tn
I have an 8-9 yrs old yorkie just diagnosed also.Except for the mid section of your story I just did the very same thing. Going to give it a try first. Just ordered it.  Good Luck to both ( all ) of us.
Avatar n tn
Sorry about your schnauzer.  We just lost our 17 year old to what we know was Cushings although when he was tested a year ago the one test was inconclusive although he had all the signs and the vet basically refused to treat him unless we did more expensive testing which I didn't agree on being in the medical field myself.   On hindsight I  believe he had this disease for quite a few years before things really kicked in as the liver enzymes were always elevated.  We took very good care of him from day one with organic food and diet which I think is what made the difference.  We did natural approach in trying to balance his electrolytes and were very strict with his food regimen which I believe kept us with him as long as he was.    The last week of his life was painstaking for him and ultimately we kept him at home and he was with us when he passed.  You definitely have to have a lot of patience as we did and for better or worse we took care of our fur baby who was loyal to our family for many years.  Good luck and prayers to you who are dealing with this.  We have another 11 year old schnauzer and pray she doesn't develop or go through what this baby did.
Hi to all, I have come to read this website after months of thinking about my dear little "Pup". We called her pup because she looked like a baby seal when she was tiny.  She was a cross jack russel collie, but I only found out after she died she was likely a cattle dog, which would explain why she was always nipping at everyones feet when she was wee!  The story goes, and this is a heart wrencher, my mother decided to go for a hip op, though I was dead against it as she had so many problems besides.  Six weeks later she had a massive stroke, and there was a mad struggle to drive the 50 mile round trip just to get her to eat a tiny morsel of food,   She survived the stroke, but died of a hospital infection.  For three months, I was driving too and fro, caring for her poorly cat which she adored, trying to cope with Pup who was peeing everywhere on my return from the hospital, and trying to keep my mum alive.  After she died, Pup deteriorated rapidly, seizures, had gone blind and deaf, and died 2 days before xmas while I was still sorting out funeral details for my mum.  Nobody would take the cat so I took her, and am still cleaning her bum every five minutes of the day as she has hypertheroidism and arthritis.  I too this day cannot get over the fact that I did not do the right thing by my dog, but reading all your comments, I can see there is not alot that can be done with Cushings.  I was in the middle of the most intense pain and when I took her to the vet I think he was mostly interested in getting the 90  pounds (in money) to put her to sleep as fast as possible.  However, She must have had cushings for about 2 years, and was to be honest as happy as larry right until about 3 days at the end, and having read all your comments I can see there is no easy way round it.  The problems I had was cleaning up after the dog and the cat and trying to save my mum all at the same time,  I was also left to clear her house, pay for the funeral costs and had almost no help from family members, let alone friends.  I am still trying to come to terms with it all, but my dear little girl was the hardest pill to swallow.  I hope I will see her again, but writing this has been cathartic for me, so thank you to all, yesterday was a mad dash to the vet with the elderly cat (Katie, a maine ****) as skinny as could be but with a feisty character like my mum, it seems she has pulled through!  Still gotta clean up the sh... though!  Heart goes out to all of you.
hi  my  sishitzuh was diagnosed with  cushings 8   yrs ago  we decided  NOT TO MEDICATE as vet  said its up to us  so we tried a few months I seen worsening condition  mind you 8  yrs ago or more, so  she was fine when we stopped  meds. she just drank a lot and was hungry a lot  we delt with it but didn't over feed her . NOW   to  day she is deaf has them  lesions on her skin in some places , and KIDNEY  failure all of a sudden . but  vet claims its old age, I say   cushings caused it  for sure  . slowly   .. she  has a bad leg and I give her tramodal for that. I not sure what  your dogs symptoms are  but I myself  delt with it  cushings  wont kill  our dogs  the affects   will such as KF  is getting my dog, I  would have no problem  keeping my dog  if she was both  blind nd deaf. mine is deaf  I tap  on floor she hears  you . the vet said to  us dogs can feel  vibrations   also something important  you should  know KF  if your dog is  having that  the toxins fog  them up  and  you may  have personality  and behavior  problems  due to toxins in the  body  which need to be  removed by iv. good luck  but cushings don't  take their life its the affects of the cortisol  in their bodys  so high for them  
What did you decide to do?  I am in the same place with my 9yo teacup poodle.
My dog is a 14 1/2 year old mix of Havanese Bichon and I love him so much that if he was a man I would marry him.  I lived in Central America for about 10 years and that's where he came into my life.  And changed my life completely. He carries the weight of the world on his shoulders and when in CA, he actually saved my life.
Since he was 11 years old, he has been on Thyroid medication and has been displaying symptoms of Cushing's Disease for a while now. We recently had some blood work done - showing all the signs of Cushings - elevated Cortisol levels, liver enzymes etc. YET now they want him to spend an entire day at the vet's for more blood work because they want to "be certain" that it is Cushing's.  This makes me sick!  They already KNOW it's Cushing''s. He has every physical sign of the disease.  He is nearly completely blind and deaf with the pot belly and losing control of his rear legs.  An entire day of fasting and not being near me will stress him to the max. We live on a song and a prayer.  
Our Creator blessed mankind with this wonderful gift - a best friend - a dog.
My Creator blessed me with the most wonderful gift - my best friend - Coffee Boy.  And because I love him so much I am going to comfort him and love him and make sure he's not in any pain.  I'll be with him to his end.
When I read all these comments my heart just breaks!   I can't help but think about all the big bucks the vets are raking in!  And for what?  They already KNOW what the dog has.  It's ludicrous.  Someone should put a stop to it.  My dog was scheduled for his 3rd round of tests - the last one cost me $359.00 - but they said they need to be even MORE sure.  My dog has a heart murmur on top of this "possible" Cushing's.  Fasting and being away from me for the entire day may just prove to be too much for him.  I've cancelled the appointment - much to the vet's chagrin. I do love my dog - I don't need to put him through all the hassle and the "side effects".  They don't live forever.  It's a good thing when they make it over 10.  We need to be realistic and stop the vets from walking all over our pocket books.  Try Milk Thistle for the Liver and Pro Biotics to build up his immunity.  Love him to the end.
Having read all of the comments up to yours I was delighted to see that at least one person uses common sense when dealing with vets and with dogs whose lives are not only at risk but who are suffering every minute.  To be a dog and have to give up all of one's "dogness" is, in my opinion, a fate WORSE than death to a dog.  And to be treated either with Big Pharma or with natural remedies (most of which do not work) and to put out hundreds or even thousands of dollars is insane.  These are dogs, and even though they become like children to us, they are still dogs.  We love them with all of our hearts and they love us, but to make them continue to suffer because of our own selfishness is not right.  They do not dread death like humans do, and putting them to sleep in the very humane manner in which it is now done (while you are right by their side) proves to me that we are human and the only animal that actually thinks about death and can actually do something to make it a welcome relief from suffering.
Go right out and adopt another dog; there are millions of them available, and though you never forget any that you have had, you can pour out your love and have it reciprocated by a dog who is actually NOT suffering.  Send your money to animal rescue organizations and not all of it to vets!
My 18 year old dachshund Rocco has had Cushing's for about 2 years now. He has been on Trilostane and it has helped alot, but within the last month he has gotten alot worse. He had his first seizure last night, really scary. We know we are near the end, not sure what to expect. I feel for everyone out there going through this, we all love our dogs and whatever we do, we are just doing the best we can for them.