Dogs Community
Excessive thirst in Lab.
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Excessive thirst in Lab.

My black lab is approximately 10 years old and has been quite healthy.
He has recently(few days)been drinking a lot of water and urinating more than usual.He's eating and playing as usual. I have made an appt. with vet for this week for him to be checked.Could this be a serious problem?
Thank you.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
It could be Diabetes, that is usually the first thing to look at with these signs. He could also have a UTI infection, but most male dogs don't get them, but they can get them. If it is diabetes, you would give him a shot twice a day and maybe some pills, if it a UTI, then a round of antibiotis.
I hate that as our beloved pets get old they get ill, but so do we.
Please let us know what you learn.  
Blank
Thank you for your reply.
I just returned from the vet and after testing urine it seems to be a bladder infection.
He is now on antibiotics.
Hope he'll be better soon!
Blank
675347_tn?1365464245
Thank you for giving us an update. It is always nice when people do. We do appreciate that.
I hope your dog is much better soon! Usually they do respond quickly to antibiotic treatment with a straightforward bladder infection.
My dog had one about 3 years ago. She was already improved after a couple of doses. And by the time she'd finished the 5 day course she was totally back to herself.

After the antibiotics you might consider giving your dog a "probiotic" (I just gave mine some 'live' yogurt every day for about a week) Antibiotics destroy much of the 'good' intestinal bacteria as well as all the bad bugs. A probiotic will get the natural intestinal balance back.
Blank
Sounds like a good idea.
Thanks very much!
Blank
Thank you for posting back ! I like what ginger899 suggested, in fact I will give that to my dog who just completed are uti medications Friday. I am trying something that I want to suggest to you, add moisture to your dogs food. Yes, this will make him "go" more often but that is really a good thing, it will help flush out the bacteria. I am doing this by cooking up a chicken breast with lots of water, and then using some of the water on his food. You might try adding a little cottage cheese ( some vets like this, others don't) to the food, it has more sodium and that will encourage a dog to drink more.

I am so glad it is not a bad thing, just hope he does not get more of these. For male dogs, if they have issues with this it can be deadly ( not trying to scare you) but that is because the urine comes out of a much smaller hole and if that gets blocked with a crystal or stone, then that can be very toxic. That is why I suggest adding more liquid to the diet. It can be canned food as well, just cost more. Try to stay with this and you should not ever have issues again....well, I think...?  

I am glad he is going to be fine now :)    
Blank
Thank you very much for you advice.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dogs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity