Dogs Community
Excessive thirst in Lab.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Excessive thirst in Lab.

My black lab is approximately 10 years old and has been quite healthy.
He has recently(few days)been drinking a lot of water and urinating more than usual.He's eating and playing as usual. I have made an appt. with vet for this week for him to be checked.Could this be a serious problem?
Thank you.
It could be Diabetes, that is usually the first thing to look at with these signs. He could also have a UTI infection, but most male dogs don't get them, but they can get them. If it is diabetes, you would give him a shot twice a day and maybe some pills, if it a UTI, then a round of antibiotis.
I hate that as our beloved pets get old they get ill, but so do we.
Please let us know what you learn.  
Thank you for your reply.
I just returned from the vet and after testing urine it seems to be a bladder infection.
He is now on antibiotics.
Hope he'll be better soon!
Thank you for giving us an update. It is always nice when people do. We do appreciate that.
I hope your dog is much better soon! Usually they do respond quickly to antibiotic treatment with a straightforward bladder infection.
My dog had one about 3 years ago. She was already improved after a couple of doses. And by the time she'd finished the 5 day course she was totally back to herself.

After the antibiotics you might consider giving your dog a "probiotic" (I just gave mine some 'live' yogurt every day for about a week) Antibiotics destroy much of the 'good' intestinal bacteria as well as all the bad bugs. A probiotic will get the natural intestinal balance back.
Sounds like a good idea.
Thanks very much!
Thank you for posting back ! I like what ginger899 suggested, in fact I will give that to my dog who just completed are uti medications Friday. I am trying something that I want to suggest to you, add moisture to your dogs food. Yes, this will make him "go" more often but that is really a good thing, it will help flush out the bacteria. I am doing this by cooking up a chicken breast with lots of water, and then using some of the water on his food. You might try adding a little cottage cheese ( some vets like this, others don't) to the food, it has more sodium and that will encourage a dog to drink more.

I am so glad it is not a bad thing, just hope he does not get more of these. For male dogs, if they have issues with this it can be deadly ( not trying to scare you) but that is because the urine comes out of a much smaller hole and if that gets blocked with a crystal or stone, then that can be very toxic. That is why I suggest adding more liquid to the diet. It can be canned food as well, just cost more. Try to stay with this and you should not ever have issues again....well, I think...?  

I am glad he is going to be fine now :)    
Thank you very much for you advice.