Dogs Community
Golden Retriever Ear Infection

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Golden Retriever Ear Infection

I have a 16 month golden retriever.  He has an ear infection, which I have learned is common in goldens.  His vet had me treat it with ear drops and antibiotics.  He went back today (after 2 weeks) and they said that he would need to have his ear flushed.  This procedure would cause him to be put under sedation.  The cost would be over 250.00.  The vet said that he has wax and debris in his ear canal and if it is not treated, his ear drum could rupture, causing hearing loss and further infection.  Is this truly necessary?  Is this something we could treat at home with a solution of peroxide or something?  I just don't want to pay this much for something that is not necessary.  On the other hand, we love our dog so much and I certainly dont want him to become deaf or experience any hearing loss.  Can you help?
We have goldens also.   Our vet has always had us use epi-otic to clean their ears and remove excess wax.  You put the solution in their ears,  massage it,  then remove with soft cloth.   I'm one to follow the vet's recommendations but you could always ask him if you could try this.
I had a dog with the same ear issues. The vet explained to me that once it is flushed, it is a lot easier to keep clean. Its pretty much like starting with a clean slate. I would do what the vet recommends. Dog ears are sensitive, he'll probably feel much better afterwards. After my dog's ear was flushed, I used the epi-otic to keep it clean. I still use that stuff for the dogs I have now. It works great. Even after you wipe the ear out, the cleaner makes the dirt you couldn't reach slough off /come out when they shake their heads.
Thanks!  I just called another vet in town, one he used to go to, and they have an ear flush that is only 12.00.  I think we will start there.  I dont want my little guy to go deaf!
If its a middle ear infection you have to very careful as it could lead to brain damage the same as humans,i use malaceb and you mix it with warm water and use a syringe squirt in in slowly and massage the ears ,then hget some cotton balls or tissues to wipe the loosened bits out.
We also have a golden,he is 3 and had a big problem with his ears getting infections,he also had his ears flushed which helped for a short while,but the ears soon went back to being infected again ,we have had no problems since using :
the following mixture in his ears: gentian violet,witch hazel,boric acid,I got this advice off a retriever breeder,and it really has worked with our boy.we rarely have to use it now.and it has saved us pounds!
Our vet said it is very common for goldens to have ear problems because their ears flop over.  She suggested routinely cleaning his ears with the Opti Clean.  He was in for a bath last week and they said his ear was infected : (   Now, we're also applying animax (antibiotic).  It works well, and fast.

I can tell when his ears are bothering him because he walks around shaking his head and rubbing his ears on the floor.