Dogs Community
How do i train my bulldog pup to pee outside???

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

hey all!!  my old english bulldog is 6 months old on the 22nd... and we are having a heck of a time getting her to pee and poop outside. she has gotten better since the beginning, but every once in a while she has an accident and then my shih tzu feels the need to go in the house too!! im am sooo frustrated because i dont know how to make them stop... or how to punish them properly. the bulldog is locked in her kennel during the day, and my shih tzu has free reign of the house. During the day everything is great... its mostly the evenings and the night time that it happens. we dont lock the dogs up during the night, i just didnt think it was fair to Diva to be locked up during the day AND night. can someone give me some advice..... my carpet is sure taking a toll!!

I'm sure you'll get better suggestions than this but I have found that my older dogs played a big part in housebreaking the younger ones.  Years ago our pit taught my Siberian husky to go outside.  If he resisted, she'd pick him up by the scruff and drag him out. Our Akita did the same to another of our huskies.

Also, have you tried those "diaper" things - white absorbant on the top and a blue or green waterproof plastic bottom?

lonewolf

Two words - crate training.  Get a crate that is big enough for the puppy to be comfortable in, that he can stand and turn comfortably in, and when he's not being played with or trained or supervised by you or another family member, he's in the crate.  When you go to bed at night, he gets put into the crate and when you wake up in the morning, take him out of the crate and take him right outside.  Don't let him stop anywhere, just out of the crate and out the door to the yard.  Feed him in his crate and as soon as he's finished eating, take him outside and keep him out there until he poops and pees.  A dog will not poop or pee where he eats and sleeps, so you want him to get to think of the crate as his "room", and associate it with good things like eating and resting.  It's his "safe haven" when there's nobody to babysit him.  I crate trained my collie and she was housebroken inside of three weeks, and at six years old, the only time she has ever had an accident in the house was once when she ate something that didn't agree with her and she couldn't let us know fast enough that she had to go out.  One thing to remember, you don't want the crate to be so big that he can eat and sleep down one end and pee and poop down the other, you want him to take up basically the whole crate, but still have it be comfortably large for him to move around in.  

Ghilly
thanks for the advice.... im gonna start this weekend!! cross your fingers!! lol

We crate trained our dogs and I don't know whatever happened to make me forget that.

A question - our dogs were crate trained when they were much younger than six mths.  Do you think that age matters when it comes to crate training.  Just curious.

lonewolf

We tether train ours.  I keep them leashed to me at all times during training, so they can't wander away to do their business unattended in another room.  It fosters bonding, too.  
You can see instantly the behaviors that precede "going", such as circling and sniffing.  The dog can then be taken immediately outdoors to do his/her business in the desired place.

I'm fortunate in that I work nights and my husband works days, so we can keep it consistent.

We do crate our dogs when we are gone.  Most dogs will not soil a crate, but we sure have one that does it from time to time.  A DAP infuser has helped this to an enormous degree in the room where they are crated.  
i have a 8 week puppy and started trainingh er yesterday shes doing great, i have the wee wee pads down but try not use them. i take her out when she wakes up/ 15 mins after she eats/drinks/plays  i take her out right before bed. she has had one ooopps in the house. shes catching on that when you go outside you get treats. she loves the treats and praise she gets, have you tried that, when they find out they get a different treat they never get they try and go out and potty wanting that treat. good luck try that if you have not.  it also worked on my 5 week old shihtzu when he was a baby i trained him the same way.