Dogs Community
Is this Mammory gland cancer?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Is this Mammory gland cancer?

My older spayed female dog has had many UTI infections. The past few days she has had some bad leaks, and I noticed a soft growth in her Inguinal Lymph node. This dog has been thought a lot. She has had IMHA and Pancreatice (sp?). Does this sound like cancer? I can't do much for her, she is almost 11 and because of her other illness I just won't put her thought anything more, unless it seems like something that will help her and not put her in more pain. Thanks  
Do you think this is a lymph node up? A swollen gland? Or an actual tumor?
I know it may be difficult for you to tell which it is. I recommend you take her to see the vet.
Yet as you are so specific about the placement of this swelling (inguinal lymph node) it strikes me you ARE seeing it as a swollen gland.
If it is a swollen gland, that could be brought about by many things, not necessarily cancer. Lymph nodes swell if there are cuts, grazes, even flea bites, tick bites,....and could definitely be up if there is any kind of infection like another UTI. Even arthritis can on occasion cause swollen lymph nodes.

For her recurrent UTI's, does she have antibiotics each time, and recover, and then they come back again? I do know they can recur in susceptible dogs. Each time, the really best option is a course of antibiotics, and always complete the course fully, so there is no chance of antibiotic-resistant bacteria developing.

Take her to the vet, and ask for her urine to be tested again. It is my guess the lymph node is up because the infection is back....but of course I might have it wrong. Only the vet can check it out thoroughly.

There are also other tumors, such as Lipomas (which many dogs are prone to -mine is) They are soft growths, and can get quite large sometimes. Lipomas are harmless. But again, only a vet could tell you.
Thanks, I am going to get some urine and take to the vet this time and see if she just has another UTI. I called two vets since I posted this and feel this is the best place to look at first. Since she had blood coming out this week, and her PH is again at 8. Thank you for responding. I had a dog die from Cancer a litle over a year ago and know I cannot put her through that.  That growth I could only feel it, not see it. When she peed on the floor today and had it all in her fur I went to wash her outside and then I felt it. I then looked up on the web what glands that is, that was the area it just looks like. She has several rounded Lipomas on other lymph nodes, this feels different, it is soft not firm.
Oh, and she always completes her antibiotics, sometimes I wonder if she needs to be on them long term. She last had a bad UTI in March.      
I took my pup tothe vet, he said it looked like a fatty tumor. Since this dog can't have surgery etc., I did not have him needle it. I think she is fine.  
Yay!  I'm so glad it looks ok! My other dog Idgie (not Pumpkin who caused the food confusion) has a fatty lipoma.  The vet needle aspirated it and it was benign, as are most of these type tumors.  If you are a dog, you get lumpy as you get older, instead of wrinkly lol!