Dogs Community
My Pitbulls Ear Infection

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My Pitbulls Ear Infection

My one yr old pitbull has previously had an ear infection. I took him to the vet about 6 mths agoe . The vet gave him a shot and some pills. he also gave him some Mometamax to drop in his ear. The infection had went away very quickly. about 3 mths agoe one ear starting swelling up and he started shaking his ear and scratching. I started giving the medications i had left over and it went away in as quick as 2 days. My dog ran away for 2 weeks and we found him. He came back with what looks like his ear exploded. Smells very bad and has blood. I have been giving him the little meds i have but i dont think i can afford to take him to the vet again. i had spent about 300$. is there any way i can just get the medication for him with out having to take him back to the vet? is there anything i can do to prevent this happening again???
Hello & welcome...Here's what I think has happened:

Because you still had Antibiotics left to use a second & third time, the presciption was NOT given long enough to cure the infection the first time.....Antibiotics have to be COMPLETED even after the dog or person feels better.....They have to be given the lenght of time prescribed!

I think the infection has gotten so bad, that his ear drum has ruptured! This is not only excruciatingly painful, but is very dangerous! His hearing is at stake, now....

He needs to get back to a Vet, ASAP......An ear check & Antibiotics should not cost $300....You need to call around and get some price quotes from different Vet offices.....

Do you have a Veterinary Teaching Hospital (University School) anywhere around you....These will be located on a College Campus....They will have very fair prices because they are teaching new students to become Vets.....Please check around to find out...

Do you have anyone you can borrow money off of and pay them back alittle at a time?

Some Vet clinics will offer a payment plan....When your calling around, ask if they offer any type of payment plan...

It is Vital that you get your dog's ear taken care of.....His terrible pain can lead to striking out behavior at No fault of his own......

I will add that ear problems go hand in hand with Food Allergies......After you get his ear healed, look into a Grain Free food for him....You want NO Wheat, Corn, Soy, BY-Products, Chemical Preservatives or Animal Digest in his food.....Read the label on your bag and see if what your feeding him has any of above......

Good luck and please update on how he's doing......Karla
My pitbull used to have ear infections often. After getting several courses of antibiotics; one vet found out the ear infections were being caused by ear mites.

You might want to look into that.