Dogs Community
My dog cannot walk all of a sudden

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog cannot walk all of a sudden

Hello, I have a 14 year old german sheppard/husky. This dog was very healthy for many years and because he is old now we've noticed a few problems. But a few days ago something happened and we don't know whats going on.

He was sick for 2 days, throwing up and diarea (diarrhea). After that he seemed ok but all of a sudden he cannot walk. He tries but is very shaky and has extreme difficulty. This just happened in 1 day. He lies on the ground now and constantlly licks his paws and kicks his hind legs once in a while. Im not sure what happened, he was slowing down for about a week in his walks. Now he can barley get up to go pee/poo.

Any idea what this is? This year a lump has been growing on his side and its gotten quite large. Can there be a correlation beween the two? If this dosent improve in a week im going to put him down because he cannot see, and hes almost deaf. But I really want to know what he has before I do.

Thank you,
Max
I'm so sorry about your poor old dog! This has come as a bit of a shock to you I'm sure, as he has been so healthy.
I'm also sorry because I can't tell you what is wrong here. But you do need to find out. If it is something that can be treated successfully, then that would be great. And you don't know...it could be, even at 14 years old. He might still show major signs of 'slowing down', but this sudden problem he has could be something treatable. I do hope so. Loss of good eyesight, and deafness problems do often occur in old dogs. He could adapt to that, on its own.

You could take him to your vet to be checked over? Maybe you're scared they will say he has something bad. But you don't know till you find out. You will have to be brave, and take him in to be examined.

You could also post on the "Ask a Vet" forum here? But I am not suggesting you should substitute that for a visit to your vet.
Thank you very much for your reply, I think I will take him. He's a great dog, if it wasnt for him I would not have a dad, he saved his life. So I think its worth it to get it checked out. Thank you!

Max
Best of luck at the vet's. I do hope he's OK. Please let us know, if you can, how things go.

Whatever your dog did sounds like an interesting story! I would love to hear it if you feel like sharing?
I sure do. I must say I really like this forum, very friendly people.

Well I got some great news today. We gave him an advil last night just to try it out and he's almost back to normal today (15 hours later). Which is incredible. I was very happy.

So I know there is something that can be done to help him so im very happy.

Thanks again!
Max
By the way my dog's story is quite interesting so I will write it on another section. Where should I write it?
You could write it on your Journal. This is public, so any Medhelp members can read it. After you login, go to "my Med Help" (which is at the very top right under the banner ad) When you get to your profile page, "All Journal Entries" will be down on the left. Click on "write a new journal entry"

About Advil.....I am so glad your dog is much better today! He may have had some pain from arthritis in his legs possibly? But Advil contains Ibuprofen, and Ibuprofen is quite toxic for dogs. Even though he was OK on the dose you gave him, it's not worth the risk, as if he takes badly on it, the effects can be very bad kidney and liver damage, and can happen very quickly.
Get something like RIMADYL (anti-inflammatory/painkiller) either from your vet, or if that is too expensive, from another reliable source.  
Good to know. It wasnt actual advil, it was for arthritis. But its very similar. And I think its arthritis he has. We havnt given him any since and he's doing great, even running!

Cheers,
Max
Fantastic!
Yes, it's probably best not to give him any human meds....and no ibuprofen.
My nearly 2 yrs old Chihuahua had a similar symptoms like yours.  The day we started the journey by car home from Perth to Melbourne (3400km).  The first day, we found there was a thorn pocked in his palm.  We tried to get it out but he struggled like mad.  Then he throw up and diarrhoea.  He suddenly can't walk.  

Finally, he let me took out the thorn.  We kept changing his cushion and towels.  He vomited with blood then we gave him some milk.  We thought he got travel sickness.......  He can't stand, I hold him in my arm.  He's making the sound like very sick and looked he would going to die.  We stopped at the caravan park early and washed his beding.  We kept feeding him with milk and started a herb pill.  (For human, take 8 tablets, diarrhoea and stomach ache will stop in a few minutes.)  We gave him one tablet only.  Put deep into his mouth.  It was a big struggling.  Next morning, all symptoms stopped.  We tried to give him another herb pill but he's very fear and tried to bite us.  Then we told him to take it and will get better.  What you think he'll do?  He don't want us to feed.  He ate and bit the pill by himself.  Look like yike, hard to eat but he finished eating it.  What a good behave dog!  

He started to look for sex in his bed!  My husband knew he's all right now.  All the way home without sick.
my rottie is six years old he was born with a bad leg and never did walk like other dogs but now he cant walk at all and the vet thinks its a disk in his neck  it has been getting worse for a few weeks   my problem is getting him up to potty !  with bed  rest they think he will get better has anyone ever had this problem  ?
Please re-post this as a new question...You will get quicker, and more replies..Thanks.