Dogs Community
My dog passed out.....

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog passed out.....

Before we bring our 7 yr old Aussie to her her haircut, we always have given her a sedative that we got from our vet.  We just recently gave her a sedative and she totally passed out from it and stopped breathing for about 15 seconds.  Even when she came out of it, she could not get up for at least 5 minutes or so.  She then started gasping for air.  I was shocked because we have given her these same pills many times to calm her down with no reaction at all.  Could there be a underlying problem???
I hope you notified your vet immediately when this happened!  If you didn't, then you need to call him or her and let them know about the incident.  Without knowing your dog's medical history or what the sedative was it's not possible to say what the problem could have been, but PLEASE make your vet aware of this.  Even if it works out that it was just an idiopathic incident, the next time your dog is due for grooming I would take her by the vet's office first and give her the sedative there, this way if there's another reaction, she'll be right there so the vet can see what's going on and hopfully figure out what the problem is so you don't have to deal with it again.  Please post back and let us know what the vet says.

Ghilly
my biggest concern would be an episode of syncopy cause by an irregular heart beat or an a/v block.... most of the time i have seen something like that it has been cardiac. this is very serious, see your vet then maybe see a cardiologist to do a full reading of an ekg
I am really really wary of giving sedatives to any dog, for any reasons except urgent medical ones, under full medical supervision.
If it were a choice between no haircut or the sedatives, I would opt for no haircut!
If hair goes in her eyes, you could trim that yourself perhaps. Otherwise, how badly does her hair grow long? Can it be left alone?
Same goes for cutting toenails. If you have someone who will hold her very still (if she's a wriggler) -then yo could cut them yourself, no sedative required. Apart from those things, combing hair, and the occasional bath or shower...how much does she need grooming?
I have always advised people against going to groomers who tranquilize the dogs before working on them.  It honestly, in the long run, makes things worse because many dogs end up fighting the sedative as well as the grooming.  It's much easier to simply bathe them yourself at home or find a vet who does grooming who has staff who know how to work with animals without tranquilizing them.  An Aussie doesn't have any special grooming needs.  True enough they have long-ISH hair, but not Collie long, nor do they have any type of cut that has to be done like a poodle would.  Trimming the nails and an occasional bath is really all they need.  If it were me, I would forego the grooming in favor of not giving her the tranquilizers.  

Ghilly
sedatives alone dont usualy cause a dog to faint like you described.. even though it is usualy best to avoid them if you can. i would still be very weary of a heart condition
If she does by chance, have congestive heart falure, then ACE inhibitors may significantly improve her. They increase blood flow to the heart (and kidneys) though they are usually prescribed to cats for kidney problems, and dogs for congestive heart failure, my dog is taking them right now for her kidneys. (Benazecare) They have no ill-effects on her
it doesnt sound like congestive heart failure that usualy develops slowly.. i would be more concerned with  an a/v block or a long qt wave.. it seems like a rythem problem to me.. based on what i saw when i worked with a cardiologist at a vet clinic
I have to dissagree that congestive heart failure comes on slowly. My 13yr old shihtzu has never been diagnosed with any heart murmur. She developed an abcess (abscess) and I was told then she had a mild heart murmur. Two weeks later it is a grade 5