Dogs Community
My dog started to suddenly leap up for no apparent reason

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog, an Australian Shepherd, is 4y8m. About a month ago, she started to exhibit an odd behaviour. While lying down, for no apparent reason, she leaps up and freaks out. I notice this because I have hard wood floors and the nails of her hind paws suddenly make scratching noises. She does this so suddenly, her hind paws don't get any traction and it's like she's running on the spot, slipping and scratching up my floors!

I've had these floors for 3 years and she has never done anything like this until the past month. It's disconcerting because I don't know what's causing it and because she's scratching the hell out of my relatively new floors. She does this several times a day.

On a possibly related note, she has epilepsy and has been on Phenobarbital for the past 2.5 years. She's been seizure free for the past year and a half. I haven't notice any other odd behaviour and when I catch her doing this, she appears alert and aware.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Have you checked her very well for fleas?  After she jumps up does she bite or scratch at herself at all?

I have seen a few dogs do this over the years, they will react with a jump to a flea bite but if it's a flea they will usually pay attention to the area of the bite after they jump up.  

If not fleas, could there be some other type of insect in your house that's biting her?  

Ghilly
No, she's not biting at anything. She just freaks out and stops. I noticed her heart is racing for about 20-30 secs after it happens. She actually just did it again. I wish I know what she was responding to.
The only other thing I can think of (and I'm kind of reaching) is maybe something is going on in her back or hip and when the nerve gets compressed it causes some sort of pain that makes her leap up?
I too, have seen this behavior over the years, in two different dogs......One was with undetected flea bites.....The other was an Anal gland issue....Both seemed to be worse when they were laying down & being still!  
Lol! Well, at least you typed it. Lol!  Yes, I have seen this too from fleas and anal gland issues.
As a matter of fact, the puppy here was doing that and after a thorough inspection, found 3 fleas at the base of her tail.  Damn neighbor's cats, I am sure.  
If the vet says it's not the anal gland or fleas, could it be bad dreams? I have had dogs in the past to leap up out of a sound sleep, but not quite that bad of freak out.
Thanks everyone for your replies. Taking her to the vet today so hopefully can get to the bottom of this.
Good Job! Let us know what you find out...Good luck, Karla
Sigh... vet couldn't find anything. Anal gland was all good. Flea comb came out clean. Vet seemed to think everything was normal so couldn't come up with a reason for the behaviour. Still, in case they're there and we just couldn't find them, she's on flea medication. Frustrating.
You're not alone...my two mini pins have the same problem too, for about maybe one year now... I started to think if it has something to do with....We had a hunting cat before. The cat took many animals home and killed them alive. For sure those little poor ghosts died in “tragedy’ in our house...Just guessing my two babies might have been haunted by them. Well…maybe not because I can’t see why it did not happen right away and started recently. Two of them…always suddenly jump out of the bed or leap out of where they are at. It looks like they were shocked and scared by something because their tails are always down and they look like a loser while experiencing this. However, the next second they will be fine. I even asked an animal communicator to ask my dog about this. My dog Hanna said that it was a psychical type of thing.  She herself did not know why and was always shocked by herself too.
My Pug just started doing this about a week ago. She is on Frontline and her butt doesn't smell like tuna (anal glands). When she jumps up, it is so sudden and she is lying down and resting when this happens.
She is 7 years old and I am wondering if it is a nerve/hip thing like one of the others said.
I'm going to keep an eye on her and let you guys know if I find anything out.
Take Care