Dogs Community
My mini dachsund is losing her hair.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My mini dachsund is losing her hair.

3539248?1224199312
MY miniature dachshund is 14 months old & she is beginning to go bald.It started on her ears & now has moved on to her tail & stomach.I don't know what could be wrong with her.She acts the same & is still very hyper so I don't think she is sick.What could be wrong?
Tags: hair
Sounds like either mange or flea bite dermatitis to me.  If you're certain she doesn't have fleas, you'll need to take her to your vet.  He can look at a skin scraping under a microscope to see if mange mites are present.  You don't want to let this go for a couple of reasons.  One, if the mange is scabies, those mites can get on humans.  Two, mange can lead to severe staph infections of the damaged hair follicles so antibiotics may be needed even now.  

Go ahead and get her in for a vet visit.  :-)
Check your pets food and see if it has corn, wheat or soy in it.  These are the three biggest culprits as far as food allergies in dog and cats. patches of fur missing, itchy, red flakey skin, chewing on paws & legs, licking between the toes, intestinal upset, excessive shedding.  Your pet may only have one of these symptoms and the answer can be as simple as changing the food.  Read your pet food ingredient list and google any ingredients you don't understand. Be sure that you understand the preservatives.  BHA ,BHT, Propylene glycol, and ethoxyquin are found in many pet foods.  Scientific studies have shown that these chemicals can promote liver & kidney problems and seizures and cancer.   When changing your pets food make sure you are getting a Natural Super Premium pet food or Organic pet food.  These foods you will  have to go to a speciality pet store to get.  The big chain pet stores and grocery stores don't usually carry the high quality pet foods.  These high quality pet foods may seem more expensive but in the long run you will have less vet bills,  a pet that might actually eat less because the food keeps him full longer, less poop because his body is using all the ingredients, (corn, wheat and soy are fillers therefore more poop),  and a happy, healthier pet with a beautiful coat.  When changing dog food always blend the old food and the new food for five to seven days or you dog might get lose bowels.   I hope this helps.