Dogs Community
PLEASE ADVISE! Worried about my dog's tail...

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

I have a 12 year old terrier mix in overall very good health. She has had cysts on her body on & off for the majority of her life. We have had a few tested & they have been free of any malignancy. She has a very hard ball/knot on her tail that could be a cyst but it has something growing out of it that looks like cartlidge or some type of calcium deposit. My dog hates when I go anywhere near that spot & she sometimes bites at it but not too often. Once I saw that cartlidge part come out & it left what looked like a crater in her tail. This was not an open wound so I thought it was healing but now it is back & very hard & greyish looking. There seems to be a lot of pressure at that spot. I took her to the vet & had it tested for cancer & was told that they did not see any cancerous cells & that it could be a cyst in an uncomfortable area but I do not understand why something would be growing outward almost like a fingernail. I don't know if I should get a second opinion. She squealed a lot when they poked the area & the vet was unable to drain anything b/c it was too hard. PLEASE HELP! This dog means everything to me!!!!
I don't pretend to know what this is, but wonder if it could be a Keratin growth. (Keratin is a protein which can be soft, like skin or hair, or soft warts, or can be hard, like nails, claws, hooves, etc) I think keratin growths can be quite tenacious, but ask the vet about it. If by any chance it was caused by a virus (like the papilloma virus can cause warts) there may be an anti-viral treatment to stop it ??
Hi!
I know this is a long shot since you posted this back in 2009 but I've recently discovered the EXACT same thing on 2 of my dogs and I came across this post when researching it.
Did you ever find out what these things are???
I have exact same problem with my 4 yr old dog. Do you have any information what that might be and how to treat it.