Dogs Community
Possible tapeworm

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Possible tapeworm

9735914?1386544843
Maybe they just are looking different because of the large number bunched here but I had been treating for verified roundworms. I'm now concerned tthis poor neglected dog we saved could have tapeworm. These look much flatter than the ones we found a few days ago. Sorry for the gross picture but is this tapeworm or just a bunch of dead roundworms?
I know it's really gross, but when you get a chance, can you isolate one so I can see the whole body? If they are short, flat segments, then they are tapeworms. If they are long and thin "worm-looking" or spaghetti looking, they are roundworms. The tapeworm segments, when seen alive, will expand and contract to move around. I would ask your vet for tapeworm medication if you suspect this because you don't usually see tapeworms on a routine fecal. The segments are only shed intermittently, so if you see the live segments, the dog should be treated. You should also make sure you treat the dog with a good flea preventative because they get tapeworms by ingesting fleas. These worms are not spread by a fecal-oral route from dog to dog.
Hard for me to tell also.  When your dog has a bowl movement (gross, I know) but if they shed any tape in that stool they will look white, flat and are usually be moving.  You need to check the stool right away.  Also, check around your dog's anal area.  Often, if it is tape you might see little dried things that look like grains of rice, that is dried tape worm.

You need to get a prescription med from your Vet for Tape and Shannon gives good advice about the flea preventative.

Kudos to you for taking in this dog !!
Frm: Carole64
I hope this helps (just before i lost my 13yr old dog last wk (stomach cancer) during the many exams my vet noticed tapeworms in his stool after looking at sample, etc.. She gave him a medicine (it was 2 pills immediately he was 17lbs.) its called  Vethical (for intestinal parasites. & i also have brochure @. Med called Paradyne. Takes care of fleas eggs infestatation (vacuum carpets you need do home prevents to after its given i was told) prevents heartworm diesease, ear mites, sarcoptic mites (cause itchy skin) &. Tick infestation & several other parasites. If ur interested in those meds id ask ur vet or call & ask (if ur unsure @ tapeworms the med has the funtion to rid of all parasites & types of worms. the first i listed is more for worms & internal parasite treatment (vethical) hope all works out.
Like everyone else has commented, it would be a lot easier to tell what type of worm it is if it could be isolated and photographed alone.

There are two wormers that are specifically for tapeworm.  One is called Droncit and the other one is called Cestex.  They are both safe and they are both effective.  Your vet can give them to you or you can purchase them from most feed stores.  There is another product made by the makers of Droncit called Drontal, which not only kills tapeworms, it also kills roundworms and hookworms.  If you have to worm him again for the other parasites, I would use the Drontal because since he has had a hard life, chances are better than good that he has also had a flea infestation and all it takes is for them to ingest one flea that carries a tapeworm for him to be infected with tapeworm.

Ghilly