Dogs Community
Should I put her through Chemo.?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

Should I put her through Chemo.?

she has Matastasized adenocarcinoma with massive lymphocyte infiltration. I had the radical masetamy done on her and  the lab results came back with this news. They took the lymphnodes and everything out. I have her on all meat diet with supplaments and she seems very happy & healthy. Do you think I should put her through the chemo?
I want her life to be as nice as possible. But, if she has a chance at ALL I want to give that to her. My family is in agreement if money can save her life, than life it will be no matter what the cost. However, I could really use some
words of encouragement form some one else who has had to go through this. I have done nothing but cry for 3 days, trying to make the decision to give her chemo or not.
I know nothing about chemo, but did the vet say how much longer the chemo would give her?  If he is optimistic about the results, I'd go for it, you would at least know you did everything possible.  Good Luck, and let us know how its going.  Try not to be upset in front of the dog, I feel they pick up on your emotions, and she doesn't need to see you sad right now.
I agree with Linda.  You need absolutely solid and honest information from the vet oncologist who will be doing the chemo.  He's the one who deals with these cases every day and can tell you what to expect regarding side effects and prognosis.  I suspect since it's already metastacized it's not going to be good news.  Then your choice is quanitity of life vs. quality of life.  It's a terrible decision to have to make and I would be crying my eyes out to if I were in your shoes.  All you can do is get all the solid information and medical opinions you can that will help you make the best decision.

I also agree with Linda that wherever possible, treat your dog as you always have and try not to be too emotional around her.  SHE doesn't know she's sick and possibly on borrowed time.  She's just living her life as always.  Both of you still have time to enjoy it.  :-)
I think she might have a longer life if you do the chemo now! as the possibility of it matastasizing further exist. I know this is a tough time for you and the family and I am indeed sorry...but your decision now would sort of predict her an even longer healthier life. Be strong for her sake and stay with us.
What type of Chemo are they wanting to use.There is pill available here and it is given several times a week.They have to wear gloves when they give the med,The side effects with it isnt as bad as the Iv one.If your vet feels that it can help her and he thinks that her prognosis with it would be good then that is what i would do.I would get all the info you could from him and set down with your family and weigh it out.I understand that you want to help her and if letting her have the treatment can prolong her life and make it a happy one then you know what is right.My cousin used the oral chemo for her baby and had good results with it.I will find out more info about it and let you know.May God Bless Ya'll and Take care
Thank you, I try to be strong. But, it is so hard at times to look into her little eyes & know I will be saying good bye one day soon. She looked at me this morning & it was kind of like she knows, yea of course I broke down blubbering. Yestersad I made it 8 hours with out crying, just a tear hear and there. I have been doing a lot of research about Coley's Toxins and that sounds very promising. Any one with any good results themselves. Another person recomended it to me yesterday, thank you. It has given me some hope.
I was just wanting to check on you and your baby.I know this has to be really hard on you and her both.She knows how much you love her and that you will do what is best for her.I was wondering if you have decided if you are going to do the Chemo or not.It is hard for me to tell you what you need to do.But i think that if the vet thinks it could help then i would probably do it.She is blessed to have you to care for her as much as what you do.I can tell by the way you speak of her that you love her dearly and you will make the best choice for her.Well please keep us posted.Take care and God Bless
First off, thank you for remembering her. She looks as lively as ever. I have her on  the Chemo pills with some stomach pill to stop ulcers from forming in her belly. I feed her real chicken and EVO dog food, she gets no carbs or sugar, so I am at least trying to starve the cancer cells as long as I can. My doc. has me on so many pills right now, I don't think I couldn't cry if I wanted to. Or at lease not like I was, I couldn't even talk or type about her with out balling. So, I am doing much better. She is as happy as I can make her and believe me peopel want to die and come back as one of my dogs, they are so, so spoiled.
I agree, when I die I want to come back as one of your dogs, you've done such a good job of trying to keep her around and staying healthy as possible.  You will find a lot of comfort in the weeks to come knowing that your trying everything possible, and will have nothing to regret.  Please try to take care of yourself too, you have a long haul ahead of you and don't need to get sick.
I am glad to hear that she is looking so well.She is a very lucky little girl to have you as her mommy and i am sure that she knows that.I really admire all that you are doing for her.How is the Chemo pills doing for her?I know that they dont usually get as sick from them.Do you take her in to get them or are you giving them to her at home?I have been wondering how yall were doing i am so glad to hear from you.Please keep me posted.I will keep both of you in my prayers.May God Bless You.
Take Care