Dogs Community
Spinal Injury or What? Need help and advice!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

My dog Snoopy also has had this exact problem on-and-off for months. He is almost 1 year old. He will be perfectly fine, then all of a sudden scream and fall in pain, usually pooping and/or peeing himself in that moment. This happened yesterday morning for the 4th time and he is still unable to walk. When I pick him up to try and place him on his feet, they turn under and he is unable to support himself.
I took him to the DMV the last time this happened, and as I cannot afford an MRI, the doctor took an X-ray. It was obvious that he has some compression on his spinal chord around his neck area, but she said it could also be an infection in his brain, maybe his cerebellum.
The last time he fell, he was VERY wobbly when he first started walking again (A week after he fell) and he could not walk on smooth surfaces, like wood floor, or tile, because his paws would just slide out. We covered the house in rugs, and the vet put him on prednizone. We have been weaning him off for over a month now, and I am unsure as to whether it was the prednizone that helped him recover slightly or if he would have recovered on his own, because even now as he is still on the prednizone, he cannot stand up.
He is, however, eating and drinking if I feed him by hand.
But, he keeps peeing and pooping on his bed because he cannot stand up.
He is fully mentally aware and alert. What could be wrong and how to I fix this??
Tags: ataxia, cerebrospinalal, spine, Dog, wobblers, syndrome, Back, Neck, disorder, stand
Welcome...What breed of dog is this? Please google: IVDD (Intervertabral Disc/Disk Disease) and see if you think it fits.......My first thought was seizures, but he should have recovered....However, it still could be a possibility.....Karla
Mallory....You know, your dog is really too young for disk disease unless it was a malformation at birth....Spine issues are hard to detect on an Xray.......

Since this have been going on for months, do you have a Health guarantee certificate from the breeder you purchased your puppy from? If so, it should still hold as your guy is still a puppy.......Contact your breeder and ask for any information about these symptoms.....He/She should be able to tell you about her dog's bloodline and if these symptoms ring a bell.....Your health certificate will qualify you for either the breeder helping with medical bills or replacing you with a healthy puppy....That's what these are for.....

It is possible for this to be brain inflammation of some kind.....An infection or Tumor or seizures could all be the culprit.....I'm afraid without more intense diagnostics, it would be impossible for us to guess at what the problem is in such a young dog.....

I even thought about a Liver Shunt since it sounds as if your guy has been sick most of his life.....

I do hope your Vet can figure this out....You might want to look into Care Credit.....You can apply online.....This is a form of payment that many clinics accept.......This credit card is made to be used on Animal & Human Medical Bills.....

Anyway, I'm hoping others will drop in and join this discussion......We have a wonderful group here, but everyone seems to be out-of-pocket lately, I'm sorry to say....

Take care and let us know what happens.......Karla