Dogs Community
What causes white dog poo???

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

What causes white dog poo???

I always thought white dog poo was old poo that has turned white after sitting.  Yesterday I found out that isn't the case when I saw my dog going and his poo was white.  He did have a bone a couple days earlier.  Would this have anything to do with it?

Is this a sign of any health problems?  What would cause this?
Eating bones causes white dog poo. I remember watching this myself when I was a kid! We let our dog have a bone, then....well... (I was fascinated!!)

Actually I am not a great fan of giving dogs bones. It does more harm than good. Even with a 'safe' bone it can cause terrible constipation. I know they eat them in the wild, but then again, they don't live so long in the wild.
Thanks.  I thought maybe that's what caused it, but wasn't sure.  I don't think I'll giver her another bone.  She sure enjoyed it, but I don't want her to have a  problem with constipation either.
But dogs just do love bones, don't they? My dog has NEVER been given a bone, but she still knows what they are!!
I have a deer skull, quite beautiful, with antlers. If another dog is around, my dog will pick this  skull up by its antler, carry it (with difficulty) out of the other dog's reach, then sit a while 'standing guard' over it!
Dogs that are fed the BARF diet (Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods) often have small, white stools.  It's a result of the bone in the diet.

If, however, your dog is not being fed bones, if they have white stools on an ongoing basis, it can signify something serious is wrong, such as a problem with the pancreas or gall bladder, or it could signify a blocked bile duct.

Most of the colors that we see in our dogs' poop is the result of the different dyes used in their dog food.  Always be on the alert for black, tarry stools as these can mean bleeding in the upper gastro-intestinal tract, or bright red blood, as this can mean bleeding in the lower tract, closer to the rectum.  Bright red blood is not, however, always a sign that something awful is wrong, it can be something as simple as an irritation in the bowel from a recent bout with diarrhea.  An infestation of internal parasites can also cause blood to be in the stools.  If you see it in more than one or two bowel movements, however, or if it increases in quantity, please call your vet immediately to have your dog examined.  

Ghilly
Thanks Ghilly.
LOL at the deer skull!  When our Maggie was about 3 months old and all of about 30 pounds, she constantly pilfered a cow pelvis in the next-door-neighbor's cactus garden.  We'd find out about the theft when she tried to pull it through the dog door with an almight racket.  The pelic bone was bigger than she was!  :-D
Yes, if it continues it could also be a sign of high potassium and a vet should be seen...see what happens in a few days.
my little chihuahua freddy barely drinks anything and its going on a week since i noticed this problem i am getting so worried please any info will help
Brenda...Your Chi is in trouble! If he has stopped drinking, Dehydration will kill him in a couple of days!!! If he is a puppy, it's even worse....

You HAVE to find a way to get him medical attention....This is your responsibility as a Pet owner....

Call around and find a Vet that will do a payment plan for treatment....Some will. Do you have anyone that can loan you some money and you pay them back?

Do you have something you could sell at a pawn shop to obtain some money? How about your computer? Go sell it and get this guy some help!

You could also call your Humane Society and see if they will take your puppy so that he can get the medical attention he needs.....After treatment, they will find him a home.

I'm afraid that you don't have much time....To do nothing is neglect!

I hope you find a way to help this guy.......This is not fair to him!    Karla

what a great assett  this forum is I have a boarder collie who ate the same as my other dogs  sometimes I fed them chicken mince raw mixed with cooked pasta,Then this one dog became very fussy.I fed her by hand topside steak and she drank some olive oil.Next day rae dog meat cut fine.All this time she never refused a raw beef bone.Then yesterday white  poo  .I will continue to check her motions .but your information saved me trying to find a vet on sunday   lilly s mum
its the calcium from the food u give him
My dog had pale feces for one day recently.  They were of normal consistency and frequency but were a pale gray color, like river clay.  Parts of the stools were a very pale cream color -- almost white.  She did not act sick, and the appearance of her stools was back to normal the next day, so I did not take her to the vet.  That was about two weeks ago, and she has continued to act fine, and there has been no recurrence of the pale stools.  Someone mentioned above that pale stools can be due to a blocked bile duct.  Can that be just a normal, transient thing?  I don't want to borrow trouble, but I don't want to ignore something that I should follow up on, either.
Hello Gilly, I agree, My poor dog was put to sleep two weeks ago she had pancreatic cancer, I noticed her pooh was white, and she wasn't her usual self. The vet thought she needed spading but after opening her up it was cancer,
My dog has white poo and  to all who contributed solutions to my problem, I thank you. For you see, I had just recently been giving my dog bones! Never again!.
Rob, if the white poo is from bones, it's not a bad thing.  It's normal.  It's just the bone meal residue coming through.