Dogs Community
advice for my dogs tummy issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

advice for my dogs tummy issues

My 20mo old female pitbull mix has been dealing with some tummy issues for months now. It started off very random, but has now became a weekly, sometimes daily problem. Her primary symptoms are: gurgling bowels, diarrhea and vomiting, loss of appetite. I have switched her food a few times, with no help, and she's now on a sensitive stomach grain free formula. Her vomit is usually clear or foamy, with grass if she's eaten some, and on two occasions, had fresh blood in it. Her stool is normal some days, and when she has an episode, is a pudding consistence, mucousy, and also has had fresh blood in it. Her blood work came back normal, and was tested for parasites as well. She is generally a calm dog, playful at times, and hasn't displayed any other signs of being in pain. I'd love to connect with someone who has gone through the same thing and maybe get some advice as to what I can do to help her.
Looks like you have consulted the Vet to rule out out sod obvious issues.
Way food are you feeding and how fatten?  Are you giving any tray rests or supplements?

My kids dogs, and a few others. Haven own had sillier issues.  I suggested they're the dogs on Pro Plan Salmon for sensitive stomachs.  Hey switch probably over two years ago now and the dogs have much improved and are healthy.

You might try picking up a small bag and gradually transition over for a few weeks and see if that helps.
Has your vet tried any medications such as metronidazole (flagyl)? Another possibility is giardia which is very difficult to detect..this medication will treat it as well as a bacterial overgrowth that could be causing the symptoms. Does your dog get into the garbage or receive table scraps before you notice the signs? Your vet can do a fecal smear to see if there is an overgrowth of a particular bacteria like a clostridium or campylobacter. It may be worth it to have an abdominal ultrasound as well. Just a few suggestions, good luck!