chattering teeth
My male pomeranian who is almost twelve years old has recently started chattering his teeth. I have never seen this out of him before. He was neutered several years ago. He is still pretty active. He still gets excited when I come home from work. He still has a very good appetite. He drinks fresh water every day, and I put drops of Pet Dental in the water.  He's a very stubborn little fellow. He won't let me look in his mouth, or brush his teeth.  We've been having small earthquakes in and around the state that I live in. Could it be that he has become fearful of this?
Hard to tell why he is doing that.  Seems like he is okay, otherwise.  I have often seen teeth chattering in many dogs over the years.  I have a Greyhound and many of them do it often, usually when they are excited, etc.  Nothing to worry about, they just do it.
So, no definite answer from me but you know your dog so I would keep an eye out for anything that may prove to be different with him.  
I doubt it would cause chattering, but has the vet looked at his teeth recently?
I don't know if a dog's teeth chatter when it is afraid. Most likely you would see that in his 'body language' (like tail down and tucked in, or finding places to hide, or 'clinginess', following you around every move you make, etc)
Dogs do often 'chatter' their teeth when they have picked up an extremely interesting scent, such as a female in estrus. Even neutered males will do this, and age is no boundary to this instinctive behaviour. Does he start doing this after smelling things while out on a walk, then keep doing it for a while afterwards?