Dogs Community
choose not to treat Mast Cell Tumor

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

choose not to treat Mast Cell Tumor

My veternarian suggests operating on my 8 1/2 yr. old Irish Terrier. The doc suspects my dog has a Mast Cell Tumor. This would mean the tumor would be taken out, including a large margin around the area. Depending on what the Tumor tests out, it could mean following up with another operation to get more of the margin area out, and chemo and radiation therapy.

I just do not want to put my dog through any operation. What happens if I let this go and do nothing? My dog is eating, playful and in no way seems to be in pain. Is it cruel to just do nothing and hope that this thing is slow growing and will not add up to anything?
I don't think I could do it.

Your dog could have many years of excellent health left, if this cancer is removed and treated adequately.  Its my understanding that if its early enough and all margins are clear, there may not be any furthur treatment necessary.  

Could you not simply have the surgery done, to see where things stand?  If it looks like a large, aggressive tumor and you choose not to have furthur treatment, that's one thing.

But if its caught early and could be cured simply through a wide excision...wouldn't you want to do that, rather than doom your dog to an unecessary early death by choosing to do nothing at all?

My youngest dobe was suspected of having a mast cell skin tumor 2 years ago.  A wide excision was done to remove it.  It was a very simple operation, and it turned out it was something else benign.  

I forgot to mention, that the test they took on this bump (about as big as a mosquito bite) did not conclude that it was, indeed a Mast Cell Tumor - but recommended treating it as one.

I have been on the internet looking into this, and there are so many cases of one surgery after another, and these mast cell tumors popping up again and again after they are operated on.

But you have given me something to think about. I should have another consult perhaps with another veternarian - to get a 2nd opinion