Dogs Community
double rabies shot

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

double rabies shot

After reading everyone's post I am so upset. I am very sorry for those who have lost their 4 legged babies. I have 3 babies of my own. Bear is a 4 yr old 112 lb German Shepherd, Zoe is a 8 yr old 76 lb Blue Pit, and L.C. is a 4 yr old 6 lb Toy Chihuahua. All have been extremely healthy all their lives. On March 16th, I took them in for their shots. Their regular vet was not in and another vet saw them. I explained to her that they didn't need their rabies because they had gotten the 3 yr shot last year. She said I was mistaken and they were due for everything. I told her that wasn't right but she continued and gave the Shepherd his shots first. Once she got to Zoe's file she stopped and I noticed she was flipping between all three files. She finally said I was right and that she wouldn't charge me for the rabies shot she gave Bear. I asked her if that was safe and she said yes.
The next few days I noticed Bear was not eating all his food but, he seemed okay. I thought it was the weather change since we had a very warm week that week and they normaly eat less when it is warm outside. (They are inside most of the time but they like to go out and sunbathe in the yard on warm days for a few hours.)
On the 20th I saw Bear eating grass and he threw up a little while later but, the next day he seemed fine again. My husband was feeding them their dinner for the next few days and never mentioned to me that Bear wasn't eating his dinner. He said he thought maybe I had given them treats before I left. On the weekend of the 23rd, I could tell Bear wasn't feeling well at all but by Monday he seemed a little better. On Tuesday the 26th he started violently throwing up blood and had bloody diarrhea. I rushed him to the emergency clinis since this all happened around 9pm at night. They ran blood test and said everything looked normal but he was dehydrated. They gave him anti naseau meds, antibotics and sent us home saying he must have eaten something he shouldn't have. I am so careful with them so I couldn't figure out how he could have but, I am not a vet so I checked the yard and checked the other 2 babies as well. They are both fine.
I had forgotten all about the extra rabies shot until he took another turn for the worse today. Since our visit to the emergency room I have been cooking chicken and turkey for him. He had been eating a few bites from my had but not really interested in food but has been drinking water and Pedialyte. I know antibiotics make me sick so they probably were affecting his appetite. I took him to Petco this morning to see if I could find anything else he might eat. I started talking to the manager and found out her Beagle died after getting 2 rabies shots and her dogs symptoms are the same as Bears. The vet is of course closed for Good Friday but I plan on being in their office first thing in the morning. Does anyone think it is possible the shots could have caused him to be so sick? On the 16th he weighed 112 lbs and at the emergency clinic he weighed 99 lbs. I feel like a horrible mother for not realizing there was a problem before it got this bad.
http://www.dogs4dogs.com/truth4dogs.html
He could have had a reaction to the shot, but he'll probably pull through and be okay.  Just consider it a wake-up call.  13 pounds is a lot of weight for him to lose, so baby him with food and water for a while.  If you think he is not drinking enough fluid, you can put some canned chicken or beef broth in his water, to make it more enticing.  Feed him whatever he likes best for the next several days.  Don't go on a guilt trip.  You did what the vet said, so there is no reason to feel bad about that.  Just get him through the crisis, and know better next time.  Good luck.