Dogs Community
excess mucus

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

excess mucus

My 8 year old pug is having gagging/coughing due to mucus in her throat.  She tries to cough it up but doesn't and has a hard time breathing when this happens,  I have been giving her a product "mucus-Clear"..but I;m not sure it is doing any good.  Its at its worse when she sleeps as it must gather and then she cant breath so must get up and try to cough it out.  I haven't  been able to find anything on line regarding thid specific problem.  Any suggestions would be appreciated ?? My vet says this is just a typical problem with pugs.  Sue in Portland
I had replied to your last post on this same subject a day or two ago.  Perhaps you didn't see it.  I normally don't do this but here is the response that I gave you on your other thread so that you can see it.

There is something called brachycephalic syndrome that breeds with pushed in faces suffer from.  It makes breathing difficult, to say the least.  There are several things that occur when a dog suffers from brachycephalic syndrome.  The three things that brachycephalic syndrome is marked by are an elongated soft palate, stenotic nares and everted laryngeal saccules.  

When a dog has an elongated soft palate, the soft palate is too long and the tip of it extends into the airway.  This interferes with air being able to get through the airway into the lungs.  Stenotic nares are narrow, malformed nostrils which make it even more difficult for air to get in.  And everted laryngeal saccules is a condition caused when there is excess skin just behind the vocal cords that gets sucked into the airway upon breathing in, further compromising air intake.

There are surgeries that can be performed to alleviate these conditions if it gets to the point where the dog has so much trouble breathing that exercise becomes almost impossible.  At the age of eight years, however, the dog is a bit old to have a truly favorable surgical outcome.  In your dog's case, the mucus could be somewhat eliminated if you can determine what causes it to build up.  Do you notice it getting worse at certain times of the year?   It could be that she is allergic to something in your area that causes the mucus to form, which gives her the breathing difficulties due to the brachycephalic syndrome that is basically part and parcel of her genetic makeup.

I would suggest keeping a journal of everything she eats and does.  Make notes as to what the weather is, the pollen count, etc., and how much she seems to struggle with the mucus each morning.  Eventually you may see some correlations that will point toward a specific allergen that can either be eliminated from her environment or perhaps she can be given something to stop the body's response to this allergen that will help.

It's difficult to watch our beloved pets suffer.  We want to help them and make their lives as easy as possible but sometimes this makes for a lot of extra work and some detective snooping on our part to bring about a solution.

Please let us know how she does.

Ghilly
Hello & welcome to the forum.......

Some reasons for coughing:

First, Heart Disease- With Heart Disease, the weak heart cannot pump as well...Fluid builds into the lungs causing the cough..The cough is usually MOIST like they're choking on congestion...Actually, they are...The cough is worse during the night &  mornings. Also, during periods of running, playing & excitement....Fluid will show in the lungs on an xray.....Heart is usually enlarged......Fairly easy to rule out & Heart medications work well for treatment.......

Next- Kennel Cough- This is a virus and antibiotics will do nothing.....Cough syrup is very necessary to help this run it's course.....Lasts a few weeks & the cough is excessive!!!!

Collapsing Trachea- Common in small breeds- This cough is more like choke-gasp, choke/gasp....It sounds like a goose honking....Meaning like when your sucking through a straw & it collapses. Like it kinda sticks then opens, etc. It is actually doing just that.....The trachea collapses then opens back up...This ailment is treated by weight control & Medications for lung disease....Cough meds, bronchial dilators,  Asthma meds., steroids when necessary, etc.

Respiratory Diseases cause coughing....Asthma & Bronchitis are treated with the same meds as Trachea Collapse. This is more of a dry cough with wheezing at times or both....With this, sometimes the Heart shows enlargement, but it is not a Heart Problem! It's from lack of oxygen through the respiratory system.....Steroids are useful as needed for allergy season that can be a trigger.....Dust mites in the house affect this a lot (Especially in the winter when the heat is on and the house is closed up tight).......It seems they breath better outside.....Something else: Dust Mites in DRY dog food alone can trigger this.....This disease can be controlled for years once you know what to do.....

There's a common cough called A "Reverse Sneeze"...You can google it to know what it sounds like.....I can't describe it....It kinda sounds like all the above, dammit!!!  ;)  Although it sounds awful, it's really harmless.....Lots of dogs do it their whole life...

Then of course, Heart Worm Disease will cause a cough....Also will show an enlarged heart....Will be seen on an X Ray....Can be ruled out with a blood test.....If your dog has not been on monthly Heart worm medication, you need to have this blood test done..... This disease is possible at any age......

Also, Allergies can & will trigger a cough.....

All of these can be evaluated by a Vet...Good luck, Karla
Very typical in pugs. Look how short their snout is. Allergy season affects them, too.
My puppy is a Coton de Tulear and she has bad mucous problems. I am not sure what to do with her since vets are way over priced.
My puppy 14weeks old after I feed her she starts bringing up which  slimy  phlemn then she does it on and off all day not putting on weight vet said its dietry problems give her chicken and rice table spoon 9times a day did it for 3weeks she still the same
Dear Moaney,
I am not sure 'dietary problems' are what is going on here. At 14 weeks old she can not afford to become malnourished, so my suggestion is you take her for a second opinion to a different vet.

Has she had all her puppy shots?
Yes she is so full of life I don't know where she gets her energy from she is  a maniac in the garden and playing with my other 2dogs this is a second opinion you would think out of 2vets one of them would know as soon as she eats she starts vomiting thick white slimy phlemn and then on and off all day
My 16 year old terrier was diagnosed with collapsing trachea approx 1 year ago. Bricanyl is the medication she is taking for that. Some months later, ( and after another vet had said that her heart sounded very good for her age) she was put on heart tablets as after a scan , I was told that her heart was enlarged. I was never totally convinced about this diagnosis. She also has furosemide which they have to get rid of excess fluid build up, apparently. Also she has Bisolvon powder which is sprinkled on her food to treat the build up of phlegm which at the moment does not seem to be doing much. As I am typing she sounds like she is drowning in phlegm and I am on the verge of calling it a day as it must be awful for her. I don't know what else to do. I have just given her approx half a teaspoon of honey as just read that can help, think it may be easing off actually. She has just settled. Hope this may help and if anyone out there has any other advice I would love to hear it. Pauline
Having almost same issue with my 7 year old pug.  
The congestion and phlegm is unbearable!
Waiting for results from vet.  Hopefully tomorrow!
My little guy is currently on predisone, apparently to help with the breathing.  Which i guess it has a wee bit.  
Im totally beside myself.  I cant imagine what they must be feeling.
I feel your pain pauline.  
If I hear or get any other suggestions from my vet... I will ket you know!