Dogs Community
my dogs not well

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

my dogs not well

my spaniel hasn't eaten for 2days,the food he ate he fetched back,he seems unsteady on his feet and is not his usual energetic self,his urine seems realy dark,brownish in colour.
He really does need to see a vet. Today, if at all possible.
Is he on any medication at the moment? Certain medications can cause dark urine. Dehydration can cause darker urine than usual. But my guess is he maybe has a liver problem. Check the whites of his eyes. Do they look yellow-ish? Are his gums pink and healthy? Or do they look pale, and yellowish too? If so, he is jaundiced.

When you visit the vet, take a urine sample with you. It will save time, and help perhaps with diagnosis.

Please take him as soon as you can. If he won't eat, and is vomiting, then the chances are that he is dehydrated. For a dog, that in itself can become quite serious very quickly.

How old is he?  Is he generally healthy?  What has he eaten in the last week?  Has he eaten onions in any form?  What color are his gums?  

Ghilly
Hi, There could be many reasons why he is like this.
If I were you, I would take him to the vet immediately.
I took him to vets,he has an heart murmur and some kind of blood disease,that is destroying all his red blood cells,he has had massive dose of steroids,the next 48hrs are crucial,thanks for your feedback.
Oh my goodness, I really hope he will be ok. It's great you got him to the vet's quickly. I hope that he responds well to any treatment. I am thinking of you, and him.
My first thought was that he had Heinz body anemia.  As soon as you said that his urine was brown, that's a pretty textbook sign of a Heinz body anemia.  That was the reason for my asking whether or not he had eaten onions in the last week.  

Heinz bodies are little blobs of oxidized hemoglobin.  There's one of these on each red blood cell and it's actually a weak spot on the cell.  When a dog eats onions, the sulfur compounds in the onion cause the Heinz bodies to rupture and release the hemoglobin.  This rupturing of the red blood cells is known as hemolysis.  The body then passes out the dead red blood cells in the urine, and the brown color that you see is those dead red blood cells.

As long as the hemolysis stops before too many red blood cells are destroyed, the body WILL rebuild its supply of red blood cells.  It can take a few days for the hemolysis to stop and for the number of remaining red blood cells to reach their lowest point, but the body is generating new cells even as the existing cells are being destroyed, so hopefully this is an acute incident caused by one ingestion of a substance and not something chronic that the body will have to deal with on a constant basis.  Even though it makes them quite ill, an acute incident can be recovered from, if it's something chronic, then that's another story.  

Please continue to keep us updated on your dog's condition.  You are both in my thoughts.

Ghilly
we took him back to vets for check-up,he is responding to the steroids,he will need to have these tablets for rest of his life .
Did the vet say what caused it?  

Ghilly
vet say's it's something spaniels are prone to,he went back yesterday and is doing well,his blood count as doubled since friday,he is back to his energetic self.
I didn't know what type of spaniel he is, I guess he's a cocker?  They are prone to autoimmune hemolytic anemia.  I don't know why, because I went back and read all of your posts and not one of them said anything other than "spaniel", but I had myself convinced somehow that he was a springer!  I don't know where I got THAT from!  What a relief to hear!  I am SO glad that he's back to his old self!  WONDERFUL news!!  

Ghilly