Dogs Community
small bugs on my puppy

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

small bugs on my puppy

My Cairn Terrier keeps getting these small black bugs on him.  They do not attach, but merely "burrow" around in his hair, moving even when I try to get them out with tweezers.  They are not fleas (unless they are extremely LARGE fleas) and I do not believe they are ticks (again, they haven't attached as of yet).  I notice small black "droppings" in his fur and then know to go searching.  I am bathing him about 3 times a week trying to keep them from getting in my home.  What are they and how can I get rid of them?   Oh, if it helps, I live in Oregon.
Sounds like fleas to me.  How large are you talking?  
Here's an interesting article on cat and dog fleas, complete with pictures.  Like peekawho, I think it's fleas.

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th5b.htm
Avatar n tn
You two may be right, I saw one jump today.  It was smaller though, not like the first ones.
There was another recent post about flea problems, and the unique solution of bathing the dog with Dawn dishwashing liquid was mentioned.  The person had been having a horrible time with fleas and tried everything on the market to no avail.  He posted back to say that the Dawn worked!  Since Dawn is used for any animal who gets stuck in an oil spill, I would imagine it's safe enough for a domesticated animal.  Might be worth a try.
Avatar n tn
Hi. I have the exact same problem with my Jack Russell Terrier. Have you figured out what the bugs were/are? Thanks for your help!
We are having the same problem & they definitely do not look or act like fleas.  They are located primarily on their bellies. What are these things?  We are going to start using tea tree oil & see if that helps...