Dogs Community
two yr old chihuahua wheezing and snorting

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet dogs!

my 2 year old chihuahua has been wheezing or snorting  hard to explain it doesn't happen very often but when it does happen he seems to happen after he has had some water or after playing he all of a sudden starts snorting like his whole little body goes into a seizure type jerk but its aint a seizure he is fully aware on whats going on and comes to you when ever u call him when these attacks happen and usually last about 5 minutes   its like he has to gasp for air and after i have hold him and pet him he seems to calm down and these attacks go away..i have taken him to a vet to find out what is going on with him but like i said its hard to explain and i am wondering if it would be asthma or some sort of breathing problem...i am very worried do the the fact if he's out in the yard playing and have these attacks happen while he is out side that i wouldn't be aware and something terrible might happen...someone please help
My Pekingese does that all the time,It is kind of like they are going into some sort of snorting fit.Sometimes when i pet mine they will calm down and as soon as i stop they start back again.It usually last for about 2-3minutes and when they are doing it they lower there heads.I use to think they where choking and it would really trip me out,But now i am more use to it..It happens to mine more when they have been playing,eating or they have been outside.What did your vet say about it? It is something that is more common in smaller breeds.How long has you baby been doing this.I have had Peke's for 12 years and all of mine do it.
my chihuahua is only 2 yrs old  it started just when he was about 8 months old...the vet told me it is common in small dogs..something to do with them being so close to the floor or ground and small particules from the floor or ground the dog inhales causing it to have a snorting fit....yes it is scary when my dog has these fits and yes that is what mine does the way you explained it..he hasnt had any fits recently... ive always had small dogs i dont ever remember my dogs having problems like this
I have a chihuahua/rat terrier mix (15 mos old) and my daughter just recently go a 5 mos old chihauah.  My terrier does this all the time too after drinking and when she's running around outside in the grass.  It's worse if the water she's drinking is really cold.  When she was a baby, she would just start shaking and I thought how strange.  But then I noticed my daughter's chihuahua pup does the same thing.  Hacks and coughs after drinking water and when he's running around outside.  Sometimes he'll do it when he wakes up from a nap and I agree it's disturbing.  I know he does it a lot but I still check him everytime.  It just doesn't seem normal but it apparently is for these little guys.
Oh I did also want to mention that I used to have a little sheltie who appeared to suffer from asthma or something.  She would just start wheezing like she was gasping for air.  It definatley seemed like an alergic (allergic) reaction or asthma (which is often caused by an allergen).  I would just sit with her and pet her gently and after a minute or two she would settle down.  I have asthma myself so I know that calming actions help steady the breathing.
I have 2 Chihuahuas, one male and the other female. My male chihuhua is 3years old & he is the only one who suffers from this. the female is 2 years old and she never did this. I've had 2 other male chihuahuas before and they never did this either. I worry because i feel like it hurts him. he started doing this wheezing/snorting thing when he was about 9 mos old. he seems to do it only when he is excited or running around too much! so in all I've had 4 chihuahuas and only 1 has had this problem. My brother had a rat terrier and he never did the coughing snorting wheezing thing. is this really "normal"??? some one please help!!!!!
Some reasons for coughing:

First, Heart Disease- With Heart Disease, the weak heart cannot pump as well...Fluid builds into the lungs causing the cough..The cough is usually MOIST like they're choking on congestion...Actually, they are...The cough is worse in the mornings & during periods of running, playing & excitement....Fluid will show in an x ray.....

Next- Kennel Cough- This is a virus and antibiotics will do nothing.....Cough syrup is very necessary to help this run it's course.....Lasts a few weeks & the cough is excessive!!!!

Collapsing Trachea- Common in small breeds- This cough is more like choke-gasp, choke/gasp....It sounds like a goose honking....Meaning like when your sucking through a straw & it collapses. Like it kinda sticks then opens, etc. It is actually doing just that.....The trachea collapses then opens back up...This ailment is treated by weight control & Medications for lung disease....Cough meds, bronchial dilators,  Asthma meds., steroids when necessary, etc.

Respiratory Diseases cause coughing....Asthma & Bronchitis are treated with the same meds as Trachea Collapse. This is more of a dry cough with wheezing at times or both....With this, sometimes the Heart shows enlargement,but it is not a Heart Problem! It's from lack of oxygen through the respiratory system.....Steroids are useful as needed for allergy season that can be a trigger.....Dust mites in the house affect this a lot (Especially in the winter when the heat is on and the house is closed up tight).......It seems they breath better outside.....Something else: Dust Mites in DRY dog food alone can trigger this.....This disease can be controlled for years once you know what to do.....

There's a common cough called A "Reverse Sneeze"...You can google it to know what it sounds like.....I can't describe it....It kinda sounds like all the above, dammit!!!  ;)  Although it sounds awful, it's really harmless.....Lots of dogs do it their whole life...

Then of course, Heart Worm Disease will cause a cough....Also will show an enlarged heart....Will be seen on an X Ray....Can be ruled out with a blood test...

Also, Allergies can & will trigger a cough.....

All of these can be evaluated by a Vet...Good luck, Karla