yeast infection/fungal in skin folds
help with my beagle, she,s had  been on antibiotics from surgery on leg , she has now developed irritation in skin folds around the vulva ....red and swollen pretty sure its yeast infection/fungal  just wondering can I use human products like canestan/clotrimozole cream on that area.. would it hurt her if she licked the cream. I am taking her to the vet on Monday but in the meantime I would like to try ease the discomfort she is constantly licking the area. I thought if I put a plastic guard around her neck to stop her from licking temporarily until cream has absorbed.
I also think this may of been caused by the diet my vet put her on s/d prescribed to disolve struvite crystals.
Im thinking maybe the urine has become to acid and has helped inflame the skin....?? also another question I wanted to bath and clean the area what can I use .........

ne55
I'd stay away from creams for now until you can get the advice of a vet.  Is there an ER vet you can call for advice in your area?  I've phoned in similar questions to our ER clinic and they've always been great about answering them over the phone without insisting that we bring in the dog.  As long as they know the dog is being treated by a vet, they're fine with giving medical advice over the phone.  Worth a try anyway.

I think you're right that the antibiotics have got a yeast infection going.  You can give your dog acidopholus capsules to help with that.  I had the same issue with one of my dogs post-op from resection surgery and it works very well.  Matter of fact, any time I need antibiotics for myself I always check my acidopholus supply.  LOL!  You can get it at any health food store or any grocery store that carries even a limited line of herbal remedies.  
Do you by any chance have any prescription ear ointment or drops from an past ear infection? This will work...Most ear products are for bacteria and fungus...Don't let her lick this one, though...Next, Have any witch hazel? It has wonderful healing properties..In case you don't know: Human Hemorrhoid wipes are made up of nothing but Witch Hazel. It reduces itching, burning and irritation on any area of the skin. It also absorbs quickly...I use these for all kinds of Boo-Boos.  :)   Also, A Vinegar/water solution can be used. This does sting though, so be careful!  Vinegar is an antibacterial and anti fungal. Can be used on yeasty feet and hot spots, too. The recipe is 2T. Apple cider vinegar to 1C. distilled/or purified water.....Won't hurt if she licks this one...It's not toxic.....Hope some of this helps....Karla  
P.S. To bathe and clean the area, Don't use soap..Makes things worse....Use a solution of water and baking soda....She will be clean as a whistle and odor free, too.  Good luck!
Both of your comments help alot thanks , Ill start her on the acidopholus capsules now and I bathe her with the solution karla advised (great idea) . I do have ear ointment I might try that to! This should get her through until I get the medication from the vet tomorrow

thanks
ne55:)