Down Syndrome Community
My Down Syndrome daughter steals money

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

My Down Syndrome daughter steals money

My 35 year old Down Syndrome daughter has stolen from her stepdad and myself and been caught 3 times.
The one time she took money out of our hiding place (that she found somehow) and it was over $1000.
We then found out most all of it went to her boyfriend.  They also spent $300 of it at the mall.  She screams
at me and tells me her dad left her money after he died and she wants it.  What can I do?  She has seen a
therapist after her dad passed away, but not for this problem.
Hi!

I can understand your frustration, but the best way to get a solution is to get her to see a therapist again. She may resent the fact that she does not have enough money, so probably a therapist can work around the solution of a pocket money and help her see that if she wisely spends money, she will have her Dad’s money all her life!

Also, she may be resentful of your second marriage or something else at home, and rebels by stealing. This issue, if present, can be solved by a therapist. Take care!
Hiya Shery2
                   It sounds like you are having a hard time around your daughters stealing.  Furthermore this is causing relationship difficulties within the family.  Quite rightly as Dr Mathur has explained Your daughter may still have issues around bereavement after the loss of her father and therefore bereavement Councelling may be beneficial to your daughters emotional well-being.
Have you considered spending more time with your daughter on a one to one basis to try and build up your relationship which has been volatile recently.  This may also allow the issue around money to be discussed and resolved.  You mentioned most of the money went to her boyfriend
Sorry I clicked submit accidentally.  .......  You mentioned most of the money went to her boyfriend, could the boyfriend have had an influence over you daughters behaviour, if so I would question your daughters vulnerability.
Give her the chance to work, you know to accomplish something she can be proud of! I'm stuck working on the graveyard shift, because I wasn't allowed to become a professional when I was a teen. :-(