Down Syndrome Community
advice on ds and amnio

This forum is for questions and support regarding Down Syndrome issues such as Dental Problems, Communication Problems, Developmental Disabilities, Hearing Loss, Hypothyroidism, Immune System Problems, Learning Disabilities, Joint Problems, Muscle Weakness, Respiratory Disorders, Seizures, Sleep Apnea, Weight Problems.

advice on ds and amnio

Im am 36 years old and 17w 4d and my quad blood screen came back slightly elevated for downs. The Dr said this raised my chances to 1 in 110. Im am being referred to a specialist. is this really a big enough percentage to stress about. i will have to decide whether i want to have the amneocentis. Im concerned about the risk for miscarriage with that. Anyone with info would be appreciated.
Opt out of the amnio, its too risky. There is a new blood test to you only, called T-21, that will tell you for sure without any risks. And if the chances come back high, you will have a level 2 and/or 3 ultrasound. I have a happy healthy 3yr old with down syndrome, and we didn't know until after he was born, not that it would have changed if I knew ahead of time, other than cause me to stress and worry. Good luck.
Thank you for your response. i am seeing a geneticists tomorrow and will be getting another ultrasound. i will probably not have the amneocentis as it will not change anything so it's not worth the risk. it's now just the stress of not knowing. i want to be able enjoy my pregnancy.
I understand completely, which is why I suggested the blood test. It's fairly new, so not all obygns know to order it. In the down syndrome group/community/family...we find out about everything, lol, and we pass it along to help others. Let me know if you have anymore questions. If your test comes back positive, then I highly, highly, suggest, getting connected with your local down syndrome support group....they were and are a lifesaver!
Thanks for the advice. i had the level 2 ultrasound done yesterday and Babys growth was on target and he measured appropriately. i was offered the new blood test for trisomy 21 and i had that done and it will take two weeks for the results. Hopefully these two weeks will go by quickly and i can get some answers.
;-)
I received my results today and i was low risk for all three trisomy disorders. Thank you for your help. i am glad i did the blood test over the amneocentis.
Blessings! Wish you a happy healthy pregnancy and smooth and easy delivery!!
I think a doctor telling a pregnant woman that there is a minimal risk of her having a Down's Syndrome baby and sending her off to specialists with so low an indication is irresponsible. In addition to the resulting emotional distress, she may be subjected to risky testing.

Because of my age I was already offered to be sent to a high risk specialist and was offered am amnion. At first I said no. When my blood test came back elevated I decided to go. I'm glad I did because I was able to get a more detailed ultrasound. I did the new harmony test which is non invasive and posed no risk. The specialist didn't try to talk me into an amnio. I am thankful these new test were available. My doctor was very professional in what my options were. My doctor had to tell me what my risk were from my blood work. If he hadn't he would have been negligent whether it stressed me or not.
You were lucky in having a conservative doctor. As for the danger of being too old, I was unaware that was considered a problem until I returned home from the hospital with my baby at the age of 43 and everyone heaved a sigh of relief that she was normal. Such a thing never occurred to me, and my doctor never mentioned it. But maybe that was because he knew that many of the women in my family deliver into their forties (and one did so twice in her fifties) without problems.