Ear, Nose & Throat Community
6 year old daughter with fleshy "thing" sticking up from back...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

6 year old daughter with fleshy "thing" sticking up from back on tongue

My daughter has had a cough for a few weeks and is now complaining of having a sore throat. So of course I get out the flashlight and look in her throat. When she sticks her tongue out what looks like another tongue sticks up and curls at the back of her tongue. YUCK!!! I am planning on taking her to the doctor in the morning but wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Thanks!!!
What you are describing sounds like the Uvula. This is a normal structure of the mouth. It dangles for the top at the back of the mouth.Occasionally the Uvula may enlarge temporarily due to a viral infection or other irritant.The Uvula can curl upward due to touching the tongue. This may appear as if it is radiating from the bottom behind the tongue. If your daughter continues to have discomfort, develops a fever etc. , please consult your physician. -JC-
Sorry, it is not Uvula, my sister complained about the same thing a while ago and I saw a mini-tongue attached at the back of her throat. It is attached to the base of her tongue and it looks exactly like a tongue. I know what should be there and what shouldn't..this creepy thing is a unique thing. It looks like a secondary tongue. I am so shocked, what if it keeps growing and prevents her from swallowing food or breathing...I really need to get help on this.
It's the epiglottis.