Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Allergy/Eczema in Ears leaking clear fluid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Viewing 201-206 comments:
this thread was extremely useful a few months back when I was desperate to understand why the ENT was not fixing my ear problem, it helped me look for the root cause, here is what I found out:

1) I had serious irritable bowel disease that led to a "leaky gut" (google it). This caused my immune system to get very weak which in turn caused the eczema in the ears and other places.

2) cortisone drops or cream do not fix it, they may improve the ears for a while but you need to focus on the root cause, on whatever is causing your immune system to malfunction

The solution for me:
1) fix bowel with a detox: no gluten, no A1 protein milk (a2 is fine) , low GI, product to kill bad gut bugs, adding probiotics and green supplements
2) for the ears there are two home made solutions that have worked better than anything else a) garlic oil b) Himalayan Crystal Salt Sole  (google it)

hope it helps  
Hi, I've had this problem with a leaking ear for over a year -- antibiotics and ear drops did not help at all.  I read many of the posts here and jotted down all the treatments people recommended.  The Mario Badescu Cream sounded the most promising, so I ordered it from Amazon and have used it daily for a week now.  The leaking has STOPPED, this cream is miraculous!!!  I will stop using it for a while now; hopefully the leaking is gone for good!  I will post again after a few weeks, or sooner if it comes back.  Thank you for your help.
HELLLLLLLLPPPPP!!!  Agh!  I'm glad I found this forum.  I def. have food allergies and candida issues which is what is causing the eczema in my ears.  SO annoying!  I am going to get some of that Mario Badescu stuff since it sounds like a good product.  But for now, I think I am developing 'another' ear infection!  I put my finger in right ear to 'scrape' out the dead skin (as I do every day) and I somehow pushed 'something' further back this time, dead skin or wax, I'm not sure.  That doesn't usually happen!  It is not a full blown infection but it is clogged for sure and sound is a little muffled.  I tried suctioning it out w/a bulb and also the hydrogen peroxide inserted w/a Q-tip.  I think I may be making it worse, if anything.  Can anyone help or recommend something that will save me from spending another $100 on my not-so-helpful Dr. who just basically cleans it out?  I can't keep paying for this!  When I call his office he recommends vinegar & alcohol...HELLO!!  Not pleasant for eczema...OUCH!  Any tips!!
THANK YOU!! =)
I'll write what so many others have, I have been a sufferer for over 15 yrs and nothing I've ever tried worked.  My worse symptom was the intense inner ear itch and it would wake me up at night too scratch. I saw all the comments here about Mario Badescu Control Cream and tried it. The first few days the symptoms only subsided so I was skeptical but after a few more days all the symptoms are completely gone.  After all these years no one is more astounded than me.  I do not think the cost of the small jar is expensive at all.  As it works this well I would pay $100 for it.  You use such a small amount the little jar will last for months and months.  I put a small amount on a q-tip and swirl in the ear twice a day.  I may try to back off to once a day and see what happens.  No more itching, no more flaking, it is a miracle.  If you are lucky enough to live near an Ulta store, they have it and Ulta always has good coupons, will save you online shipping.
Wow - I have just sat and read every post and am feeling more optimistic about this than I have in a long time. I have had itchy, weepy ears that block up and get infected since I was 7 or 8. I am now 42! My daughter and son both get it too.
I haven't bothered going to the Drs for years about it - all they ever did was prescribe antibiotics and they never listened when I said that it would ease the symptoms but that it would be back in a week or two. I have had so many sleepless nights trying to position my head so an ear can drain to ensure when morning comes it hasn't "fogged up"... If I get really bad infections now (not just the crusty weepiness) I go for warm olive oil on cotton wool. Eases it but doesn't cure it.
Anyway I have ordered some of the Mario Badescu Control Cream, am feeling quite excited.. will let you know.
THANK YOU!
This is what helped me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamethasone_dipropionate
Until yesterday I didn't even know you could get eczema in your ears!  I've suffered in embarrased silence for many years over my itchy, blocked ears.  The symptoms have got worse over the last few years and I resisted thinking I was losing my hearing. Like another poster, it was becoming difficult to so my job due to my decreased hearing.  Finally went for a hearing test at Boots only to be told I a severe ear infection.

I went to my GP who have me an intense course of Amoxicillin which didn't really help.  Saw another GP yesterday who said I had eczema in my ears and prescribed ear drops, olive oil and cortisone cream.  So, now this is a new thing for me as I might not have a hearing problem at all.

I have written down all the suggestions, especially the coconut oil one as I too have had many years of stomach problems.

I cannot believe this is such a common problem.  I have very narrow ear canals as well which seems to aggravate the situation.

I have to try these medications and if they do not work I have to go back to my GP for a referral to ENT.  However, before I do that I might just try some more natural.

Thanks to everyone, you've made me feel much better knowing it's such a common problem.
look up candida for stomach symptoms and if you choose the cleanse stick to the diet. Had servere bowl and stomach problems for 8 years did much too much research and found good bacteria and bad bacteria in bowls was way out of balance due to drugs from health care system, Antibiotics distroy good bacteria but doctors won't admit to this because you actually might get better and stop giving your money to them. Trust me look up candida and also parasites cleanse !!!!!!!!!!! my life has changed. Also search parasite cleanse these are natural no drug cleanse oh by the way had to give up milk and milk products seem milk can't be digested properly in humans. I now have effortless bowl movements twice a day, absolutely no bloating and no acid reflux, never stomach sick or nausia and yes 90% less gas. Sorry for the kinda rude topic but hey this is serious stuff. Please read about the symptoms of parasites and candida YYYYYYYYYYYYou will change your life. By the way yeast does damage to your body also lay of the yeast
I have had fluid coming out of my left ear for a couple of years now and finally figured out why.......Dairy products!!

I noticed that when I had milk, my ear would start weeping the next day. If I had cheese it used to be ok unless I had it two days in a row. I have completely stopped dairy altogether and my ears are not getting infected anymore. It has only happen in my right ear once or twice, 90% of the time its my left ear. I had grommets inserted in both ears when I was younger and although these came out they have left bad scars/holes on my ear drums.

I was really surprised to find milk in so many products, so check labels carefully when shopping.

I really hope this information helps anyone who also has this issue :-)
(I have psoriasis too)
Hang in there... I know how hard this is... I am dealing with it too. Stay strong...
I too have got this itchy leaking ear that everyone on this site is talking about.
I have just done a 100km round trip to get Mario Bedescu control cream as you can only get it from inner city of where I live and didn't want to wait for mail order. Will definitely let you know if it works. So far have put on one application and itch has subsided.
It has now been 4 days since I started using Mario Bedescu control cream and my ears have cleared up,completely no leaking no itching no scaly flaky ears. Best buy of my life . It is definitely a miracle in a jar thanks to those who recommended it.
Hi all!  What a journey, huh?  Oofda.  I've had itchy ears, starting with swimmers ear, for 40 years.  The Mario cream worked slightly - but it had so much fragrance, and seemed designed for acne.  ???  It did dry them up, but I wasn't comfortable with it.  I heard about a new acupuncture practitioner from China who specialized in eczema and dermatology, so decided to give him a go.  Went for 4 acupuncture treatments over a month and have been making a tea from herbs that they also prescribed (one of the formulas even included "dragon bone"!) and my skin in the ears is feeling normal, at last.  

So, I think this modality has something to offer us.  The acupuncture was $35 per visit (it was at a school) and the herbs about $20.  If you're looking for a more organic approach, give it a go!

love and luck from Happy Girl  
You may have skin cancer please get this sent to a lab. I just had mine tested and I need to have my ear scrapped to get clear margins. Please don't ignore the condition see a dermatologist
I use eye pins to clean out my ears several times a day.  I too was going to the ENT every 3 weeks because the inner ear would get so clogged I couldn't even hear.  I make jewelry and one day I was itching so bad that I took an eye pin (small wire with a bent circle on the end) and bent it ever so slightly, stuck it in my ear and scraped out all of the gook.  No more clean outs, have to be very careful with them, but even when I told my ENT what I was doing he said "gotta do what you gotta do".  So I clean out my ears every morning and evening and apply whatever I have on hand, cortisone, anti-fungals, zinc, itch really never goes away.  I've just ordered several things I saw on this forum and will try those.  But at least the eye pins keep me from needing the professional cleanouts.  You can buy them online or at any craft store that has jewelry supplies.
I dont think everyone here actually has the same problem. I actually found a cure, and I have had this problem for decades. And it has worked twice (I subsequently relised I must have reinfected it the first time after being clear for six months).

Basically, I have the eczema a lot of you have this isn't curable, but the crusty weeping part was due to a bacterial infection. Sadly I can't now recall the bacteria but it was described to me as typical of chronic, ie long term infection. Anyway two weeks on Ciproxin antibiotics and it is gone again and no sign of return. It's a very strong antibiotic and made me feel bad while on it but it worked. I still have the mild itch and flaking of eczema but no more goo and blockage and argh. Definitely check it out as a possibility.
I have tubes in both of my ears. I have that same itching, draining, crusty cycle with my ears. I went to a new ENT dr and he said the tubes that in have are no longer being used because if the allergies they cause. He gave me steroid eye drops to use in my ears. Ear drops would get in the tube and burn really bad, so he uses ear drops that have a lower ph in them. It may be that I will have to have the tubes taken out to stop the reaction.
I have had severe itching, and leakage in my ears for 30 years.  I went to ENT and he diagnosed eczema in the ears.  I was relieved there was a name for this, thought I was the only one in the world with itchy ears.  My ENT prescribed FLUOCINOLONE ACETONIDE OIL.  It is a prescription.  When my ears itch, I put a few drops of this oil in, and the itching stops almost immediately.  I seem to subconsciously scratch my ears while sleeping and wake up with swollen, painful ears.  If I put these drops in before I go to sleep, I do not itch my ears while sleeping.  I have a wonderful ENT doctor and this oil is the best thing I have ever had.
Hi, I have had the same issues for about 10 years now. I have tried several things to clear it up with no luck. Someone recently put me on to using tea tree oil. It is the ONLY thing I have tried that actually takes the itch out. The scaliness is still there although it seems to be getting better slowly. This is week two using it. I will warn you though the first few applications will burn like crazy for about 20 minutes then it will subside. The burning decreases with each application... I hope this means it's getting better! I just put it on a cotton swab to apply it. Honestly if you are in the same boat as me and would do just about anything to stop the itching try this it stops the itching completely.
Looking for a solution to a malady that seems to befuddle the best minds the VA Hospital doctors have to offer, brought me to this site. I first came across it about a three months ago and read every posting at that time. Long story short I have suffered from the same symptoms all of you have for about three years. Swollen ear canals, crusty scabs, peeling skin and a clear sticky fluid flowing from the ear that just won’t heal. I am in my late fifties and never have had allergies of any kind or immune system issues. Really haven’t been sick much as a matter of fact. This curse just appeared one day and just never went away.

When I first brought it to the attention of the VA doctors they just hoohaa’ed and said it was just “some irritation” that has scabbed because you picked at it. I explained that even if I don’t touch it, it will scab, fall off and then rescab over and over. Over time it spread throughout the ear canal (left ear) and even moved out to my outer ear. Huge pieces of skin would just peel off and leave raw skin to seep crusty crust. It was pretty gross. Over the course of the next year I began to collect the skin and scabs that came from my ear and one day I took a pile of it (I weighed it and it was a full 3 grams of skin and scabs – a pile about an inch high and four inches in diameter) to the VA hospital and asked them “now do you believe me this is no simple “irritation”.”

The VA doctors and ENT specialists gave me antibiotics, steroids, fungicides, anti-bacterials, anti-microbials, anti-God knows what in shots, pills, topicals and Clotrimazole Betamethasone Dipropionate cream, Cetaphil, Ectosone, Sofradex, Aquaphor and Zymox. I have otherwise tried on my own hydrogen peroxide, salt, apple vinegar, white vinegar, Epsom Salt, aloe vera, Vitamin E, Neosporin, Bacitraycin Plus, Blistex. Fluocinonide, Cortizone-10, Gold Bond Intensive Healing cream, Povidene-iodine, Gentian violet, fresh garlic, onions, olive oil, tea tree oil, a number of “baby rash products”, some Chinese medicine “miracle herbal cures” and probably some other things I can’t remember. Nothing worked. Some things started out looking promising but they ended up just putting this curse on pause. In a matter of days it would return, sometimes worse than before trying one of these cures. Some of the attempted cures, like Neosporin, actually made the ear canal more sensitive, swollen and painful.

Last Saturday a miracle occurred. I have a dog, she’s a Shar pei-Lab mix that weighs in at about a hundred pounds. At the beginning of Summer, I always begin treating her with Revolution between the shoulder blades for fleas and ticks. During pollen season and early Summer she seems to have regular outbreaks of “hotspots” and other similar skin maladies. Coincidentally enough, vets don’t know what causes hotspots either. If the skin has “hotspots” (which are basically skin that scabs, crusts and peels leaving raw weeping wounds (sound familiar) and they can’t attribute it to mange or some other type of mite or fungus, vets usually attribute it to allergies (sound familiar).

Well last year, I ordered a new product (well new to me anyway, I don’t know how long it has been on the market) and began applying it to Lady (my dog) skin issues whenever she has a skin eruption. The product stated it was “steroid-free, antibiotic-free and non-toxic.” ”This easy to apply, safe product makes caring for your dog’s wounds easy while rewarding them with the quality care they deserve.” It claimed to work on

• Cleaning and Debriding wounds
• Hot spots
• Scratches
• Skin Rashes
• Skin Ulcers
• Cuts
• Burns
• Post-Surgical sites
• Irritated skin
• Cleaning the Umbilical & Navel
• Sores
• Lacerations

It was even recommended by Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer). Well, let me tell you, it works GREAT! I have tried dozens of other products on my pets over the years and this stuff works like none other I have ever used before. Quickly healing any kind of skin issues my dear dog and cats suffer from. When I had my Lady “fixed” the surgical wound healed in a third of the time the vet said to expect and with zero trace of a scar. Amazing stuff.

So last Saturday, I had an epiphany. If this stuff works so well on my dog and cats maybe it will work on me. Hell, I had tried everything else known to modern medicine and then some. Steroid-free, antibiotic-free and non-toxic what could it possibly hurt to try. So I squirted a little on my finger and applied it into the ear canal. OMG!! Ten days later my ear is clear. For the first time in three years I have no pain, no weeping, no “mushiness”, improved hearing and the last scab/piece of skin fell out my ear three days ago. The ear canal is clear, pristine and smooth to the touch for the first time in years.

At this point I am crossing my fingers that it lasts. I just may have stumbled across a fix for something I had about accepted as being incurable. At this point I am sure you are like, “well what the heck is this stuff!” The product is called Vetericyn VF Wound and Infection Care. The “VF” designates it as the veterinarian formula (which is their extra strength offering). It comes in a liquid and in a hydrogel. You can buy it on Amazon for about $35 a 16 oz. spray bottle. I recommend the hydrogel because it “sticks” to the wound and doesn’t run off like the liquid. I am crossing my fingers that this cure stays cured; but, at this point it is looking more promising than anything I have tried. I will let you know in a couple of weeks if it has succeeded and continued to clear up my ear. I am so excited I am beside myself.

P.S. if you do have a horse, dog or cat this stuff works miracles in treating abrasions, rashes, wounds, hotpots and other skin issues.
I also have the issue and have had it resolved by an ENT specialist.
1. Never let water go inside your ear because it aggravates the PH balance, and also, when you shower, if any of your shampoos are an allergen they can aggravate your condition.  I wear Mack's earplugs when I shower, which are wax swimmers earplugs.  You can also use cotton wool with Vaseline, but it can get a big messy.
2. DON'T USE QTIPS.  This *****, but don't do it!
3. If you feel like there is a lot of build up in your ear, or you need relief, use an ear bulb to rinse out with an appropriately PH balanced solution, like water & vinegar, or a saline solution.
4. I don't have the money to get blood tests, since my allergens are subtle -- I did something called the elimination diet, but it's considered "alternative" medicine and not legitimate in the traditional MD community.
5. I was prescribed acetic acid, which is both anti bacterial and anti fungal solution-- it was recommended that I put drops in when my ears are particularly itchy.  When I don't have the my prescription around, I use vinegar diluted with water.  (Acetic acid is basically vinegar) I am extremely prone to infections and this gets rid of them if I let the solution hang out in my ears for about 10 minutes/day.  It was also recommended that I use just regular hydrocortisone cream, but only lightly on the very outside of my ears with the tip of my pinky, about 3 - 5 times a day.

When I'm following the rules, my condition subsides, when I'm not, it sounds like exactly what you're experiencing.  Hope this helps!
Hi pls send name of cream that helped with yr ears pls
Thanks gonna try this
Mario Badescu control cream has been discontinued.....Ugh....what now?? My ears won't stop itching and leaking and I am getting minimal sleep because of it.  This is soo painful and untollerable.  Any other natural remedies that has worked?  Steroid cream worked for me but I experienced lost of side effects and do not want to go the prescription route. Please help
I've found Neosporin makes an eczema cream and I put a little on my finger and work it into my ear.  It relieves the itching and scaling.  best thing I've found so far other than pure vitamin e oil.  I recommend Neosporin though over the pure vitamin e oil.  hope that helps.
I too have experienced this same issue what I did was stop wearing fake earrings and used pure aloe Vera gel and it cleared right up... Haven't had any problems since then. Hope this helps!
I've had the same thing since I was around 7 years old, now I'm 15 and since then I've seen god knows how many doctors. I've been prescribed every medication possible I can think of, some of them work and get rid of it for a month, but then it comes back. Out of nowhere the back of my ear just gets oily and sticky, then it dries up, and itches, and it bleeds a little if I try cleaning it...but cleaning it doesn't help much either. Then afterwards, I get these small painful lumps behind my ears. To anyone else who has this, I'm pretty sure the only solution is surgery.
kgrace115,
I too have suffered with ear eczema - for like over 10 years.  DROVE ME CRAZY!!  I had the insane itching, flaking, bleeding, scabbing, clear fluid leakage, swollen and painful ears.  The clear fluid would even leak out my ears and run down my face; and at night when I would sleep, it would plug my ears.  I'd roll over and the other ear would plug.  I'd wake up in the morning and have to try to clear my ears just to be able to hear so that it didn't sound like I was sitting at the bottom of a pool.  I was trying everything.  Here a little over a month ago, I was introduced to this all natural oral supplement that you take once a day, that has been PROVEN to reduce oxidative stress in the body by 40%.  I knew that oxidative stress (free radicals) were linked to causing eczema, so I bit the bullet and tried this hoping and PRAYING it would relieve the insanity of these symptoms of eczema.  Again, willing to try ANYTHING to get rid of this.  Well, I can tell you that in less than a month, my ears had stopped with the insane itching, bleeding, scabbing, flaking, and clear fluid leakage; and even better yet, I was not being woke up at night with plugged ears every time I rolled over.  I would be more than happy to share this supplement with you if you'd like, and give you more information about it.  I'm going to be straight up with you and tell you that it has given me such good results and the relief that I have been looking for over 10 years, that I actually became a distributor of the supplement.  I will never stop taking it.  If you'd like to try it and see if you can get the same relief and results, please feel free to email me at tnttrio.***@****.  I can't guarantee that everyone would have the same results that I've had, and/or as quickly as I have, but I can't imagine not sharing this with others who are going through what I did for so long.  I know the insanity that it causes.  And it only makes sense that if you eliminate the free radicals (oxidative stress) that's causing these types of things, that these things will too either be alleviated or eliminated completely.  Please, do not hesitate in the slightest to contact me at the email above.  I would love to help.  
I have been watching/reading this forum thread for a couple years now. As I myself, have had ear issues for as long as I can remember. Not big on posting, but I felt obligated to add in here what worked for me. Specially if Mario's cream is discontinued.

I now make sure to use a hair dryer on/in my ears, after every shower/bath. To keep them dry, and if I feel like they are acting up, I smear a little Elomet cream into them. And i'm good for about a month or so.

This is a cream, I was originally prescribed by my doctor, for yeast issues I would have behind my ears years ago. And one day, I decided to try it in my ears and was shocked at how fast my ears felt normal again. I swear I was thinking of chopping them off. hah.

Normally, this cream is prescription only, but I found it available at Amazon.com for way, way cheaper than it costs from a pharmacy, and no prescription needed. So, win/win.

Hope it helps others, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TOGZ9I/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have resolved my ear issues by changing my diet and adding the vitamins and Minerals I was deficient in back into my body.  I eat Less Wheat and Cheese. Alcohol made from wheat is really aggravating. Found out my nutritional deficiencies by finding a good Holistic MD. Then I started taking Probiotics and a Multi- vitamin. I also am taking some other supplements, all made by Metagenics. They are pharmaceutical quality.
All the creams in the world will not solve your problem. You must heal this condition through nutrition.
While I agree, changing diet may work for some. I would think a lot of the issues here are not exactly the same disorder. Besides, no two people are alike. What is going to work for some, might not work for others.

I know I myself, already have a special diet to deal with being diabetic. And not having any medical benefits puts me in a position to not spend the sort of money you are talking about.

Planning a expensive doctor visit, and loading up on hundreds of dollars in pills every month, doesn't seem like it has the ability to offer any sort of instant gratification to help pull those knifes and scissors away from a disgruntled ear owner getting ready to pull a Van Gogh.

While, I admit the creams don't offer any sort of long term permanent correction, they do, and can ease the problem until the much larger issue can be diagnosed and corrected. But, we must also remember that some of these issues, are chronic, and can/will not be corrected by diet alone.

My Holistic MD suggested that the eczema and leaking fluid were an allergic reaction to something in my diet or my environment .  She was right.  By following an 'elimination diet'  I found what I am allergic to . I have eliminated and or greatly reduced these allergens and my ears have been feeling much better.  
Just curious about the results so far? Still good?

THanks
Dave
The ingredient in the Control cream that helps this condition in Balsam Peru Oil. So while Mario Badescu is working on the formula, we might try blending a drop of oil into some shea butter and create a substitute.
TRY from a Dr. prescription:
The name is fluticasone propionate cream.
Use very little but cover all itchy areas.
You must get this through Dr. prescription only
fluticasone propionate cream is by prescription only.
Ask for it .  It really is relieving but there seems to
be no permanent cure right now.
I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I came upon it while trying to figure out what was causing the severe itching inside my ear and ear canal over the past number of months. I visited my family doctor and was told that it was eczema, and she prescribed a lotion of Mometasone Furoate, which smells like it's mostly alcohol and which really burns. It didn't help.

I noticed that many people on this thread spoke of visiting ENT specialists, but it seemed to me that this was more of a skin problem than anything else--so I made an appointment with a dermatologist. The nurse practitioner took one look and said, "That's not eczema, that's seborrheic dermatitis." This is a condition that can be caused by Malassezia, a fungal yeast. She prescribed a six-day course of Azithromycin (Z-pak) and 0.05% Desonide cream (ridiculously expensive, but it immediately calmed the itching).

Last night I spent time reading about Malassezia. It's a form of yeast that likes to feed on oleic acid. I did change my diet about six months ago or so, and I eat lots of avocados, almonds, olive oil, and ground flaxseed--all of which are high in oleic acid! I'm going to eliminate some of this (definitely no more flaxseed in my morning smoothie) and see what happens. Just wanted to pass this info along in the hopes that it may help someone. I've never had this sort of problem before, and the itching is (was? I hope?) driving me round the bend.
I also just checked the bottles of "Boost" nutritional drink (it's like "Ensure") that I started drinking several times a week a number of months ago. One of its main ingredients is high-oleic sunflower oil. So no more of that stuff, either. The leaky, gooey, crusty gunk in my ears sounds very much like what many others here have described. I do believe that it's a yeast infection (not Candida, but Malassezia), and should be treated as such.
I'll talk to anybody at this point.  I'm am about to go insane! I'm uninsured, and I don't know what to do about this disgusting, leaky ear of mine.  Now mind you, I sleep on my left side--tis the only way I can fall asleep.  I'm also always "bud-upped," meaning listening to Pandora, Muve, whatever. I think it's because enough air is not getting into my ear canal because I don't move in my sleep, no seriously, I sleep in the same position ALL NIGHT-unless Mother nature calls. My husband says, "get those earbuds out!"  My argument back is "dude, I have TWO ears, why is only one of them driving me to homicide?" JK, don't report me, please. But it is making me act like a 4 year old. I've tried, Cipro, Q-tips, H2O2, ear drops that are actually eye drops with gramicidinal components.... Help me
;'(
I think you're right. Mine are exactly the same way and I suspect it's from the yeast in beer.
I have been having this problems for yrs my ears itch on a daily basis then I also have episodes when my ear canal gets really tender to the touch and then I suppose from the scratching i'm doing it gets so inflamed that it feels as if a bump or pimple is in my ear at times and it swells shut. This is the worst pain I have ever felt. I have went to the Dr but they give me ear drops and tell me I have a external ear infection and that because my ear canals are really small they cant drain good. This is about to drive me insane. I just cant figure out why my ears are constantly itching with the feeling as if a little bit of drainage is trying to come out. But when I clean my ears with q-tip I get very little if nothing at all out of my ears just a little moisture. My Dr has even mentioned giving me steroid shots in my ears . That really scared me so now I haven't been back wont unless my ears swells shut again which i'm sure will happen... I'm at the point I feel like I could dig my ear completely off. The right one is the one that gives me the most problems the canal stays so dry with small flakes of dry skin in them... anyone with any advice !
I have had this problem for years. The only thing that was worked for me is a prescription of Nystatin / Triamcinalone ointment. I just saw my ENT today for more refills. There is no cure still. I hate the itchy draining ears! For those of you suffering, talk to your doctor about this prescription ointment. It does help! It won't heal, but it will control the itching and draining. xo
At least I now know I am not nuts.  I have had issues with ear infections for about 5 years, but no big deal. One a year, resolved by antibiotic ear drops.  But, since November I have had constant issues -- ear infections, and itching in the canal.  I had been seeing one ENT, who just kept treating the ear infections, not the underlying condition.  So I switched to another ENT this year, who has a subspecialty in otology and something else ear related.  Not all ENTs major in ears, so check the qualifications before you go.  She says the underlying weeping condition makes the ear canal hospitable to bacteria, hence the infections.  I am seeing her with some minor success, but still have some pain.  I have started an elimination diet (no dairy, soy or nuts) and will see how that works.  Will do two weeks and if no improvement add more allergens, like eggs.  I have also made an appointment with an allergist for next week.  And I have found an acupuncturist that a neighbor says is great.  She had a different issue.  If the allergist and the elimination diet don't work, I am off to the acupuncturist.  I have been prescribed oral and topical antibiotics and topical steroid drops.  They are supposed to help the ears heal.  Some improvements apparently when the ENT looks into my ears.  I take lots of Advil, which helps take an edge off, and I just started an antihistamine, Claritin.  I also bought an OTC exyma cream that I put just at the edge of my ears -- I don't put anything in the ears at all, except for vaseline on cotton balls to each my hair. I have short hair, and I recently bleached it, so I only wash it once a week to keep those ear canals dry.
No one who doesn't have this condition can believe it, so I am glad to have found this community.  Thanks for listening.
Update: The condition returned (itchy eczema on outer ear, leaky fluid, pain and itching in inner ear)--so I finally went to an ENT, and am thrilled to report that I found a wonderful university-affiliated doc who has helped immensely.

Yes, the problem is a fungal yeast infection (Malassezia), as the nurse practitioner had said earlier (see my previous posts). Here's what the ENT doc did, and the problem seems to be 99% solved after two visits: He suction-vacuumed the yeast growth from inside my ears (a little bit painful, but not nearly as painful as the actual ear problem, and the procedure only took a minute). Then he sprayed boric acid powder deep into my ear canals. He prescribed Mometasone Furoate 0.1% ointment for the dry, flaky skin on the outer ear. My inner ears are now dry (leaky fluid is gone) and they no longer itch. I apply the ointment once a day, and the horrible redness on my outer ears is gone. There's still some dry skin, but nothing like before.

If you decide to go to an ENT, call their office beforehand and ask them to tell you EXACTLY how they treat inner-ear yeast infections. If the ENT's treatment does not include suction vacuuming and boric acid powder, then cross that doc off your list and call another ENT until you find one that does. Boric acid is as old as the hills, and it WORKS. But the powder needs to be sprayed deep into your ear, and the ENT will have the equipment for doing this.

My hearing is back to normal, and it is so great to be rid of the ITCH. Rather than a food allergy, I'm now wondering whether the condition originated from sitting in a sauna at the YMCA. The problem seemed to start shortly after I joined the Y a couple of years ago. I don't swim, but I did take aerobic water exercise classes and got pool water in my ears. I also liked to sit in the sauna. The ENT doc said to keep water out of my ears, and to avoid the sauna (which causes the inner ear to sweat). And don't use q-tips!

I hope the problem is now solved, but if it returns I'll book another appointment for ear vacuuming and boric acid treatment. I also hope this info helps others who are dealing with the same problem. Good luck!
WHICH:
"Mario Badescu Cream"
(there are at least 100 different products under that name)...?!!!
From what I found on Amazon Mario Badescu Control Cream (0.50 oz) but they no longer sell it. it was pulled from the market.
I had leaky discharge and scab like pieces that would come out of my ears for years. Not one single doctor could figure out what the problem was after numerous visits. It was very annoying and I was self conscious about it as well. I used Pantene Shampoo and never thought that could be causing my issue. Until one day I picked up another type of shampoo (I bought Head & Shoulders for normal hair). WOW...to my amazement, my ears healed within a couple weeks and I've been leak and itch free in my ears for many years now! I switched my shampoo--I was allergic to it! I got to thinking about it the other day and started to wonder if anyone else had the same issue. So now I'm here letting you know what helped me with my leaky/itchy ears. I know it probably won't help everyone that deals with this issue, but if someone gets relief from my post I'll be happy. Here's wishing you good luck!
Viewing 201-206 comments: