Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear, nose throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear, nose throat

I have had a loss of balance problem for the past 6 months. I have tried going back to work but have been sent home again. The medication I have taken has not worked neither has the grommet I have had fitted. I am desperate to return back to work and would appreciate som advice. Could a chiropractor help me?
Hello!

Inasmuch as symptoms like dizziness often to respond to placebos, chiropractic could help.  Otherwise, it might be worthwhile trying to get to the source of the problem and addressing that.  Grommets rarely are effective for dizziness, so this isn't too surprising that that intervention failed.

Dizziness is a very complex and frustrating symptom to figure out, but the astute physician should be able to help you.  This involves a thorough interview/history and appropriate physical exam.  It must be kept in mind that the ears are only responsible for a minority of dizziness complaints -- the whole body must be considered.  There are also tests that can be helpful -- blood tests, EKGs, Ultrasound, MRI, VNG, CDP, etc. Your doctor should be able to decide which, if any, are appropriate for you.

Good luck!
Thanks for reply. Just to say I have had nearly all those tests you recommend, MRI Scan, 3 hour caloric tests (twice) in 20 years. Maybe it's time to have them again.
  On a positive note I have been a little better today. Washed pots and ironed ,sheer pleasure for me. So fingers crossed maybe on the road to recovery. Thanks again for your response.