Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Ear fullness and jaw joint pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ear fullness and jaw joint pain

Since the beginning of Aug, I have expereinced some issues related to my ears.  It began with complete ear fullness.  Went to internist, and he gave me Rhinocort and said to take Sudafed.  It then appeared to go away for 2 weeks.  Then it returned, but not to the severity as the first time.  I proceeded to an ENT who peformed the test analyzing the pressure in the inner ear canals.  Came back negative.  I have continued to use the Rhinocort along with Sudafed and Claritin D.  I then began to experience slight jaw pain in the area below the ear.  Hurts when I chew.  Internist xrayed my jaw to rule out TMJ, and that came back negative.  He has no other suggestions.  I went for about 1 1/2 weeks until this past Monday, with no feeling of fullness or anything.  The slight jaw pain was still present.  On Monday, it begun to feel not normal again.  I don't necessarily have ear fullness, but the area  behind my ears near the jaw feels odd inside.  Almost like they are swollen.  It is hard to explain.   I am at a loss of what do do next.
Drainage dwn throat can irritate the eustachian tube openings.
They run over to middle ear that controls 'the pop'. Nerve
swelling in the area you mentioned can cause off/on symptoms.
If it's ears & not unilateral, probably drainage in throat.
Learn 'valsalva' (pinch off nose & lightly get air to open tubes
to pop). Sleep w/ higher or 2 pillows to get drainage to by-pass
the opening tubes. Never fly w/o using something like Afrin OTC
before take-off. Acquired allergies can do this. If noticeable
swelling happens near ear, consult w/ ENT. May be infection.
Gd-luck.
did they check for ear infection--sounds like what I experience whenever I get one and they prescribe antibiotic ear drops usually clears up in ten days.
try chewing some gum... it helps the ears.. it also helps drain it..
Have you had your eyes checked lately? Try to remember back to the "beginning" of the problem and think if you got something in your eye(s). Do your eyes seem somewhat "sticky" in the mornings when you first wake up? Have they been watering more lately? Does it seem like you have a film on the eye that can be blinked away? You may have a unhealed scratch on the eye that is causing the eyes to water. When the eyes water, that water drains into the nasal cavity (this is why you have to blow your nose when you cry) and into the back of the throat.  The nose will run a clear fluid "drip". The drainage will cause a post nasal drip that may be accompanied with a cough that can be very powerful.  You have the urge to hack up something that isn't there. This drainage can also back up into the Eustachian tube behind the ear causing pressure to build up in the TMJ that may appear as a very slight swelling of the joint. Some doctors will think you have an allergy and will treat the "allergy" instead of the eye problem.  Since your problem is re-occuring and the allergy meds aren't working very well, it might be a good idea to see the optometrist and get your eyes checked out. If this is a problem with the eyes, often eye drops will clear up the problem.  good luck
Stay w/ ENT & ask if he'll order a Coronal CT to put your mind
at ease. You lay on stomache w/ nose in chin-rest & go 'nose'
in, not face up. This will ck. for any fluid/infection in the
sinuses or mastoid cells. 99.9% of us have eustachian tubes in back of throat above the palate, directly behind the nose
where it connects to middle ear. Reason why nose sprays are used
to open & pop ear. They aren't located behind your ears. You may
have a problem w/ what they call mastoid air cells that can
get inflammed or infection. If tender or swollen tissue behind
ear, go back to ENT. May need antibiotics. If overlooked, it
could get serious & affect jaw along w/ nerves to ear. This
CT can be used as a baseline for later & rule in/out any sinus
or cell problems starting. When you said x-ray, what type did
you mean? If Coronal was done, get copy + ask if a re-read of
mastoid area could be done. The lab will give you a copy w/o
telling MD. The Dr. can call lab to pull films to re-ck or
deliver to ofc. This type CT is really very important. Things
can go crazy at ear even from a tiny cyst/polyp in a sinus.
Afrin or nasal-saline works well. Rhinocort can cause tissue
irritation w/ rebound + cost. Use what seems to wk. for you.
Gd-luck.
To Demiguise:

I have been to an ENT as I noted, and he sent me home.  His comment was since that pressure test came back negative, that clinically he had no grounds or reason to press forward.  His comment was that if I had an infection, tumor, etc. etc, this test would had come back showing irregularities.   I sit here now with pain in jaw joint, and my ears don't necessarily feel full, but you notice that this area is there.   Almost like the area  right behind your ears is swollen.  They just seem pronounced when normally you don't even take notice of this area.   I can't say I have had any severe allergy issues.  A slightly stuffy nose, but nothing I would have taken Claritin or Sudafed for had the doctor had not told me to do so.  In other words, I could breath.   I even called my dentist the other day to see if a TMJ xray (that I noted I had) showed nothing could I still be having these symptoms.  He said yes.  I am just completely perplexed as to whether they are even related (I began getting ear fullness in early Aug. .  Jaw pain started 3 weeks ago), and have no idea what to do.  Go to another ENT?
I posted a response before this , but did not label it as being for you.

thx
A bsic xray would help w/ showing bone alignment just like they
might do at DDS for ck'g bite. Neg. air pressure is gd but just
means not enough ws there at time of test or feedback may have
popped some air loose into bone air cells. Since it's bilateral,
could be eusatchian tube dsyfunction envolving 1 or more of the sinuses draining or not levelingcausing the irritatation. The
jaw problem is unilateral so it still sounds like a sinus ?.
The main sinuses to evaluate 1st are the Maxillary. 1 on ea side
& Ethmoids (upper nose, betw. brows). If these drain or have a
cycst, etc, they drain over ET openings. ONLY a Coronal Sinus
CT can ck all sinuses for fluid/air/polyps/wall thickening.
There is also a rare form of 'radiologists call poss cyst' when
in fact thy get lazy & even overlook. It's actuall an inverted
benign tumor that is a problem. This is only abt 2% of population so don't go there but know that Dr's can goof. Your
present Dr. stinks if he won't help you. Get a new ENT/say little/re-test pressure if they want/up-front say you just won't feel gd till you have a Coronal CT. Rule in/out problems
early. Friend didn't & at 4 yrs through a tantrum in ofc, since
nothing to lose & got the CT. Had narrowed maxillary w/ bad
inflamm./nerve compression & a polyp. Maxillary drains fluid ea 30min. Interrupt flow & air in side starts pushing dwn on fluid till it finally hurts & releases. This type CT will help say alot. Try to find a ENT by referral of a friend that you know had luck but willing to lose if things go south & you take it
out on them. What state are you in? Some have better Dr's! Even a GP can order the CT. Then get referral? Sinus/mastoid prob.
can really get out of control. Hopefully it's a spasms or
something minimal. Dump the doc! Get busy & use this on this
yrs. taxes if in US? Gd-luck.
I live in St. Louis.  The ENT was a Washington University doctor.  

I am just wondering if I should go to an allergist.   I don't understand the coming and going of symptons.  Today I wake up and the pain appears to be gone in the joint, yet the areas around my ear feel odd.  Not necessarily full, but feels like you are listening to the inside of your head.   Like you can hear when you turn you head etc. etc.  Now two weeks ago, relatively nothing.   I am wondering if maybe I am allergic to something in the house.  I tossed a pillow I have had for nearly 20 years because my wife says it could be filling my nose with who knows what every night I go to bed.  The only thing is that if it is allergies, why do I not have a runny nose or not sneezing or not having a significant stuffy nose.

In your last note, wouldn't the symptons be constant if I had any of the things you noted?

Another thing that has been odd lately is that my blood pressure has been elevated a bit the last two times I have had it taken.  My blood pressure has always been excellent, but this last two times (about three weeks ago and then again 2 weeks ago) I had an upper number of 140.
Don't know what to say. I just rec'd a msg 'Do not post info
that could be considered medical advice.' Don't want to be
deleted so I have to figure out the difference of advice/comment
sharing info or knowledge. Their board! I wish you luck.
Your symptoms sound a lot like what i've been experiencing. I have had the symptoms on and off for a couple years. However recently they have become more constant.I have fullness under my ears and jaw pain. It comes and goes and can be one side or the other or both. Sometimes it is just uncomfortable and sometimes very painfull. Because I have a LOT of allergies I've always assumed that was what it was. I usually feel a little better after I take a benadryl and aspirin. However I would love this problem to stop occuring. I was given a nose spray by the allergist and this seems to help as well but not completly. I would be interested to hear if you had any success with the allergist. I will be starting shots soon and hope that helps. I have never met anyone who has had these type of problems with there allergies.Usually it is external..sneezing .. nose running etc..
I wish someone/anyone could help me, for well over 4 years I have this fullness in my ears, it started in one ear after a flight but no pain when they plane was going down but an ear infection when I was on my trip to Hawaii..when I landed and was home I was never the same,my ears always feel full/blocked...also the night before this trip I had this severe, quite severe neck pain and the neck pain was bad on the trip...so I came home and started to seek medical help, so far I have had tubes put in by two different doctors, and the tubes were not helpful in the least so I had them removed, I have had ct scans of my sinuses and then an allergist said I was very allergic to dust and mold and in fact a few months into this my house we found out was filled with toxic mold so I needed to leave my house but I never got better and now I hear clicking all the time and I blow my nose or do that technique all day, I forget the name of it ..to get some relief...I have had one MRI and now a new doctor wants to do another one....anyone have any idea if my eustacian tubes will ever get back to normal, it's driving me nuts and I would give anything to get back to normal....some days I also have dizziness/vertigo....HELP!
I have the same type of problem. I've been experiencing it for about two weeks. I feel the jaw joint right below my left ear hurts when I clench my jaw or sneeze (because I clench my jaw), or chew on that side. I have no tooth or gum pain. My ear feels clogged on that side as well. I'm not sure if I should wait and see if it goes away or see a doctor or if there is something I can do to myself.
i have had all the same problems that everyone here has discussed, i have had every test you can think of, ct's mri, xray, tmj, scans of lymph nodes, light down my throat, all came back negative, i have had a constant fullness of the ears, dull to severe pain under my left side of my jaw, feels like a neck tie tied way to tight around my throat, last winter i had about a 3 month spell of dizziness/vertigo, and the thought of food gagged me, i lived on antivert and phenegren, that went away when warm weather came, and now that its cold out, the dizziness and shakes are back, i am going to loose my mind, family dr, put me on lexapro a week ago, except for the diarreah (diarrhea), i cant tell i am taking it, any ideas would help
First of all, I'm 18 and living on my own.(Long Story) I am using a medical cars, and it has occured to me that doctors may be rushing the process of evalution, since I am using community based health coverage. I have been to several doctors to find the answer to this aggrivating issue. Please if you can help please post. My first docotor said I had a build up of fluids in my eustacia and prescribed rhinocort nasal spray with antibiotics. This seemed to help at first, but within 1 week it stopped working. When I push in the small cavity right below my hear, and behind the most vertical part of my jaw line, i hear a shwishing noise and I feel a sensation as if someone punched me in the jaw the day before. I am also feeling unilateral pressure in my temporal region that sometimes spreads to the other side. I also feel as if I am constantly changing elevation, because everytime I swollow I hear popping noises. This may be of importance, but my wisdom teeth are starting to tear through. I was told that the jaw pain and some ear pain may be related, but not all the symptoms, like the swishing noise and the stuffy nose.(also unilateral) If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
shanek6289, read the other posts on this page, you'll find that many folks have gotten benefit from nasal steroids like the rhinocort you're taking as well as antibiotics, but 1 week is too short a time period, you need to use it sometimes for weeks...

Pain in the small cavity below your ear could be TMJ (temporomandibular joint arthritis)

the popping noises could be from blocked eustachian tubes, consider adding nasal saline rinse to decrease post-nasal drip

I have searched and searched the web, but this is the first forum (let alone actual information) I've found that addresses this issue.  I also have this issue.  For the last several months, it has been a persistent problem.  Before that, the problem was intermittent... felt like a problem in my jaw, and applying pressure (massaging) to the main muscle on the jaw seemed to help the pain.

Now, as the problem is persistent, as I am feeling more and more "sluggish" by the day.  I have not had a fever, but nasal discharge (when blowing my nose) is often green and occasionally contains small amounts of blood.  The pain is, as everyone else has mentioned, directly behind the jaw, directly below the ear, and in front of the little "lobe" at the base of the skull.

I haven't been to a doctor in YEARS.  Is it maybe time to go see one?  Any advice on what I could ask him/her to look for?
If massaging the jaw helped, i'd wonder about TMJ

THere are specialists that focus on this diagnosis

yes, time to see your doctor and ask for a referral to your local TMJ specialist
Thanks for the quick response!  Unfortunately I don't have a "my doctor," as I cannot afford health insurance (my employer offers it, but I cannot afford to cover my family at $700/month PLUS copays/deductibles).  I have considered a "doc-in-a-box," because the ER is NOT the way to go financially... but I wonder what kind of quality I might receive at a clinic.

I have thought about TMJ, since I know I grind my teeth at night... however, with the consistent green and occasional blood in nasal discharge (but with minimal "stuffy" feeling), I wonder if perhaps a problem with chronic sinusitis and/or eustachian tubes.  "Snorting" and "ear popping" (valsalva) often relieve the discomfort, though sometimes it does not.  Lately (the last month or so), I take both one OTC, regular-strength ibuprofen and one OTC, regular-strength aspirin once in the morning and once in the late afternoon which seems to help with the discomfort.

Any other advice with this further clarification?  I understand what you are providing is not medical advice (for the purposes of this forum), but I sure would like to have the best information possible before going through "trial-and-error" doctor visits (due to the financial situation).

THANKS AGAIN for your quick response.  I look forward to any more experience you might provide.

Tim
Just to clarify: I am NOT in so much discomfort that I feel it is a medical emergency!!!  However, it is becoming annoying, and it is also adversely affecting my daily feeling of "well-being."

Just wanted to make that clear, since I mentioned the ER.

Thanks!
a doc in the box may not help as much as a specialist, but the specialist's fees will be much greater, and it could take many  visits.

I'm glad that ibuprofen & aspirin help.  they both help with inflammation

snorting often comes with nasal allergies, to clear secretions.  saline rinses and nasal steroids can help with that.

valsalva for ear popping often helps with eustachian tube dysfunction

chronic sinusitis usually has fever, one-sided pain, radiating into teeth.
Last night I had a tooth ache and it felt really sore and today i have woke up with my ears feeling full and now they are ringing, has anyone any idea what this could be it is really annoying my ears just feel more sensitive usual and they have loud buzzing or ringing.They just feel denser than usual, If someone has any idea it would be really helpful,my ears have never felt like this before.
It actually feels bit better now I think its tinnitus will make app with my doctor/.
did you see your doc?

tinnitus doesn't usually come from a tooth ache...
Thanks for reply, I have app for next week but the buzzing has gone and my tooth ache isnt as bad, maybe they are not connected.
Hello:  First, the TMJ is located directly adjacent to the middle ear. With that in mind, anytime the TMJ is mis-aligned; there will be generalized pressure from that joint--referred to the adjacent middle ear.  WHENEVER there is ear pressure, pain, along with jaw pain; a TMJ specialist is
MANDATORY. You need a hard acrylic splint to reposition your jaw forward so that the
disc may be "recaptured" back into the joint. This appliance costs around 400$ and only..I REPEAT
ONLY  a TMJ SPECIALIST SHOULD MAKE THIS FOR YOU AND EVALUATE YOUR PROGRESS WITH IT. It usually takes around 6 months to receive optimal relief and another year or so to get past it all and back to the way things used to be--before the issue. Finally, the "feeling" behind the jaw and beneath the ear is most likely inflamation (inflammation) of the lymph node from continuous pressure and stress in that area--inflamation from the issues of the jaw surrounding the lymph node which is also located in that same spot! Lastly, I would request a soft tissue ct of your cervical neck to rule out any growths along with a ct of the mandible/maxilla including both joints in both opened and closed positions. On a final note, neuropathic conditions may also cause referred pain and sensations of fullness and irritation. One is called Trigeminal Neuropathy which can relplicate many, i repeat MANY other orofacial conditions. TRUST ME--I HAVE THIS ONE! TOOK ME A YEAR TO GET THE DIAGNOSIS RIGHT!!!  So, TMJ SPECIALIST, SPLINT, CT'S OF ALL IMAGES I MENTIONED. IF STILL NO RELIEF, GET TO A UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL DEPARTMENT WORKING WITH OROFACIAL PAIN SYNDROME.  GOOD LUCK!  AND KEEP A COTTON BALL IN YOUR AFFECTED EAR EVERYTIME YOU SHOWER! KEEP IT DRY INSIDE!!!
Are you a doctor? Some of that was bit hard to understand but I will take note of all of it. thank you what is  the  cervical neck is that the womb because i get smear test and they are fine?my doctor examined me and said I was fine. If I get it again I will request what you have said. Thank you
Hi there. I think its important to note that most GP's have not really the first clue about ears. Unless its an obvious infection they are at a complete loss (though they very rarely admitt it)
I have 60% deafness in my left ear and I must have seen seven different doctors who all diagnosed some sort of infection. It wasn't untill I went to see a particularly excellent ENT specialist here in the U.K that he told me I had problems with the bones in my ear and an operation would solve the issue.(though haven't got the nerve to have it yet) So in other words demand to see a specialist. I am not to sure what the process is in the states.
Another thing people should consider is there septums..If they are deviated ,like mine, that can aggrivate ones ears.
Thanks will ask to to get referral to ENT specialsist Im actually from Ireland.
how'd the appointment go?
okay.  I have alot.  As a child I had ear aches all the time.  My dad was a nonbeliever in spending money on doctors.  He used to put 50/50 alcohol and vinegar in my ear.  Use to pretty much clear them up no problem.  As a teenager I had on and off issues with my left jaw joint, and left ear.  Usually went away.  Now 25 the last couple of years many things have gone down hill.  I don't sleep due to neck, back, and ear pain, I take ambion in order to get some kind of sleep but still manage to wake up in the middle of the night in pain.  I am taking zoloft for anxiety and depression, I get the shakes, dizziness, and vertigo on a regular basis, all of this occurred well before I started taking my medication.  As of right now I realize that I don't have a ear ache there is just something WRONG.  I have been in moderate to severe pain for a month, ear and left jaw I cannot chew properly, close my mouth totally, or sleep.  I have been going to bed with my left side of my face on a heating pad.  If anyone can actually give me some information that has not yet been repeated I would be eternally grateful
I forgot the headaches on a daily basis
laneighs, your symptoms are similar to many of the folks on this page, describing their temporomandibular joint pain.  It sounds like you have a doctor since you receive ambien & zoloft from them, ask them to treat you for TMJ
The doctor appointment went well thanks, he examined me and said my ears were fine, I was at the dentist and got filling in back tooth the one that was paining me and I havnt had any discomfort since, feeling much better.
Glad the filling in your molar fixed the pain, and that your ears were fine.  Good luck and tell us if it comes back!
I have those symptoms too. I have TMJ.  It mimics sinus problems. Go to accupucturist. They helped me tremendously. Good Luck.
In the past month, I have developed pain in my jaw on one side.  I have also had pain in my ear on the same side.  (I am currently out of the U.S. for several months and am having to rely on local medical/dental resources where I am not a regular patient.)  I first saw a dentist who told me that my "bite" was not right and he adjusted an inlay in one of my molars to correct it.  This has not really helped me.  I also went to see a doctor who said that my ear was inflamed.  He prescribed some antibiotic/antiinflammatory drops for my ear.  They have not yet helped me, either.  He also prescribed a very potent painkiller with both tramadol and acetaminophen.  After reading about possible side effects of tramadol, I am very reluctant to take this medication.  I have a history of heart disease and high blood pressure, as well as acid reflux.  I take medications for all of these problems.    I would appreciate any input.  
I too have been struggling with what seems like a TMJ/Eustachian tube dysfunction problem.  The problem started about a year ago, a few months prior to it starting I was involved in a low speed scooter accident where I hurt my shoulder, however I wonder if trauma from that could affect the situation a few months down the road.  One day I woke up and both ears felt full.  My right one cleared up eventually that same day but the left one never fully did.  Since that time I have noticed what I think is a drainage problem with my left ear. While I don't think I grind my teeth, I can sense that something might be wrong with the left jaw joint as it sounds and feels 'squishy' when operating my jaw.  Also, occasionally the tension in my jaw joint seems to build and the pressure problem in my middle ear gets worse.  When this happens I feel like I want to release the tension in the jaw joint and can actually 'crack' the joint.  This does seem to help for a time.  Chewing gum does seem to coax the drainage but I can't overdo it because of the apparent jaw muscle issues.  I would like to fix this for good.  I find that the daily distraction of my left ear not draining fully (I think) causing a slight fullness and a popping sound when I swallow makes it difficult to focus and is extremely frustrating.   Does it sound like I am on the right track with assuming this drainage isssue is related to this apparent TMJ?  
I have no health insurance but just got a job with full benefits so am going to look into.  At that point I suppose the best thing to do would be to seek a TMJ specialist as suggested above.   Any confirming or disconfirming information would be greatly appreciated and a huge help!
Last year I had a lump under my jaw.  pcp thought it was lymph node but ent and ct scan showed swollen salivary gland.  Before going to ENT i was on 3 courses of antibiotics.  Ent said no need to see her again unless it changed.  It eventually went away.  Now 7 mos latter I have been having (3 weeks endurance) a swollen feeling in the jaw on the same side.  It feel like my face is swollen (not visible) and pressure in my ears.  I am having sinus drainage probably allergy realated even though I've never been tested.  It goes up and down at different times of the day.  Some days I don't feel it at all.  I feel like something is seriously wrong but I don't know what to do.  I work a lot of hours and don't have much time.  I almost went to the ER last night because it felt really swollen and frightened me.  Can anyone tell me what this might be related to?
I have the same problem everyone is describing on this forum for almost a year now.  It's very difficult to describe but I definately have pain on my jaw right below my ear and fullness feeling in my ear and directly below my jaw.  I had a CT scan when it first started bothering me.  I've been scoped by the ENT twice.  They said I have some post nasal drip but that was it.  They also said I had a deviated septum and maybe that was causing the pain.  The doctor said the lymphnode on the left side was slightly swollen but since this hasn't changed in a year it was nothing to worry about.  I keep thinking it's something horrible which actually seems to make it worse.  The dentist said it was TMJ but he didn't perform an Xray.  Is there a definitive test for TMJ like an x ray?  

the area below my ear.. I guess the jaw area has been feeling very weird. It doesnt neccesarily hurt to a point of infection but it does feel swollen. My right ear feels full in the mornings and the fullness slowly goes away throughout the day. I have seen an ENT numerous times and I recently got ear tubes. ( December 2007)he says my ear is not infected. I dont what else to do.
Even though it is difficult for someone who works a lot of hours like me, reducing/quitting caffeine helps tremendously with TMJ symtoms (symptoms).  I started drinking coffee again recently and all of my symptoms came back - same as everyone's symptoms above.  I'm quitting caffeinated coffee starting tomorrow.
The cavity below my right ear lobe is tender when pushed

Directly below the cavitity, there is a hard medium sized muscle (?) (I can move it when I move my jaw with my head tilted upward when trying to "wiggle" my ears) that is enlarged on my right side, not on my left. Massaging it does not make it softer, just sore.

Just below that, I can feel a small lymph node and around that area and a bit more towards the trachea, I constantly feel like I have something pushing in on my throat making it hard to swallow much of the time. Massaging causes drainage from the below ear lobe cavitity area, but then it enlarges from massage and feels more intrusive on swallowing afterwards.

Also moving the lower back tongue muscle in the throat can cause this "blocked throat" feeling for days or weeks.

When I pull my jaw forward on the right side, I have to swallow from my sinus draining down the right side throat.

I ONLY have diagnosed sinus infections on the right side, along with bloody noses ONLY on the right side (one would not stop and I ended up with a balloon catheter in my sinus for a weekend).

The hearing in my right ear deep inside seems drowned out compared to my left ear hearing.

I randomly throughout the day, even while sitting, visually see the whole room start turning in a circle around me. It is very dizzying, but then I panic and it stops when I close my eyes (though I still feel like I'm spinning with my eyes closed) and reopen and it is normal again.

I also have those bright pinpoint dots appear in my vision just recently. I'm wondering if there is some blood flow blockage to my eyes?

I didn't until just now realize these things could all be related...my jaw has painfully popped a few times over the years in my ear...severe pain, then it felt much better. I DID have braces for 4 years and I feel like those may have messed with my jaw alignment.

My first bloody nose in my life was in very early 2003.

My first dizziness, ear and sinus pain began in 2003 when I moved from moist and warm southern CA to dry and cold Idaho in winter. Then over the ensuing months, the throat pressure, nose and ears worsened at such a slow rate I wondered if I was imagining the progression in symptoms.

I saw a doc in summer 2004 when I could no longer walk without falling over. He diagnosed an inner ear infection and sent me home with Flonase.

In 2005, I was put on antibiotics for a sinus infection with eustachian tube inflammation (not visually confirmed, just diagnosed based on symptoms and areas I was showing him were affected on throat sides and below ear lobe).

My GP ordered a sinus x-ray in 2006, no polyps or infection at that point were seen (this was post antibiotic course for sinus infection in right cavity).

Just saw an ENT for the bloody nose catheter removal about 8 months ago and was told he didn't see anything abnormal except that my sinuses must be the cause of the bleeding from visual inspection. He said that my deviated septum (which has been corrected previously 13 years ago) was causing uneven air flow and there is TOO much air going through my right side, which causes the sinus to dry out and bleed.

Last week, I had my first bloody nose since the ENT visit and my symptoms are full blown in my throat, ears, etc right now - making me think the two are connected. I only look into how to fix this when the symptoms are unbearable. Our insurance requires jumping through so many hoops and by the time I have described this a million times, and still gotten no answers, I just give up - I've been doing that now for 6 years. Just seems like the hearing in that ear is getting worse.

I'm only 28 years old. I'd like to not be deaf from not knowing what to have my doctor possibly diagnose and look at...any ideas from professionals out there who are familiar with these symptoms or issues?

After reading this whole thread, I was thinking two things.

I have a disorder called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. I googled pain in my lower ear/neck jaw, and found this link. I am wondering how many POTS symptoms could be linked to the pain and swelling under my jaw/ears. POTS causes dizziness, swollen glands...among other things...  One thought is to research POTS and eliminate it as a possible cause of your illness.

Another thought... Who is smoking, eating dairy, living in a high humidity clime? Has anyone had interior jaw chiropractic work done? How about Rolfing?
All these things I think could contribute significantly to this swelling, fullness, and pain.
My amateur med thoughts
Hi I have had constant ear fullness, popping, cracking, and pain that went straight across one ear to other making my throat hurt, Doctor put me on a round of antibiotics and 12 day of strong predisone ,It didnt help still same problems, so I went in and had tubes put in also was told i had eustation tube dysfumction, Anyway the pain across my throat went away , but now my right ear hurts and when i swallow it hurts in my ear. Went back to doctor for follow up and results of ct scan of sinusus , was told i have a deviated nasal septum 6 weeks of nose spray, if that doesnt work i will have to have septum surgery, hoping that and allergy testing will stop my ears from all the noices and pain and unclog my left ear. has anyone had septum surgery and if yes did it help your eustation tube dysfunction?
I've had so many years of this that doctors will not help you. I know this is depressing. However, with experience since infection keep popping up showing symptoms of invisible migrain, mastoid crackling when blowing your nose, fullness, jaw discomfort, around the eyes discomfort, eustacian tube blockage, dizziness/vertigo if you let it go without helpful meds etc. Well, here's something you can do, be firm with your doctor about Coronal CT. This may show something there. I have not had this done, instead I went to a allergist. Well, all was okay except for mold. That was interesting. So, I made sure we took care of that around the house, particularly the bathroom. If you don't clean your drains regularly with bleach/the works, the mold will seep up from there into the air and cause all kinds of problems. First off, you'll get a migraine that you can't even feel it, then swelling usually in around the ear/eustacian tubes, then your eyes ache. I used the nettipot to clean it out just in case the allergies were causing this. Well, I am a fan of this at all costs in the morning since dust sometimes seem to provoke dryness. So every morning religiously I do this even if it does not clear the problem. That's since if there is an allergy, it already made it in and it will go through it's course of problems. I have gone through dizziness, falling down from vertigo and the works which could last 3 days and I get doped up with Meclizine and tranquilizers. My neck often hurts and it gets stiff over the anxiety of it all being this way. Sometimes my neck hurts only because this is a sign of an invisible Migrain which does make it over to the mastoid area that it aches there, this is where you know you have an infection and they it rules that you can't stop it. That's when it gets seriously down to the inner ear and the swelling is the sign of it, that's why you have the fullness feeling thus blocking your eustacian tubes. Benedryl has been the key for me. Also, my neurologist mentioned that muscle relaxers often release the problem infection and it can be useful. You can get groggy on this, so you have to take it at night. However, if you are on a lot of meds.. this may not be a good idea. I'd check with the doctor first. That's since no one will want to wake up dead. But some think that this will end it, if you are desparate. It's not recommended. Just take the muscle relaxer by it's self and see what happens. Otherwise the tranquilizers are the best, to resolve that dizzy/vertigo issue. But this will not get rid of the infection, benedryl will help with that. The crackling in the mastoid/middle ear is when air gets in, that's from blowing your nose. The air just inflates and the inflation bothers the surrounding infection, thus it crackles. I hope this gives you some idea from my experience with this. The doctor won't help you with it unless they get some money from suggesting medications to you. It's the commission they like. Sadly to say.
hi this is vivek i too facing same problem my left jaw ear head chest is paining very badly i m not getting proper sleep i m not able to concentrate on thing due to this pain i dont know wat to do due to this my bp is high and its geting increasing day to day pls help me out friends im just 25
i m having the same symptoms since summer. I had found a tick on the left side of the back of my head and an swollen lymph came up shortly after in the same area. I took a round of antibiotics, however i don't think lymes d/s is bacterial but possibly viral (which antibiotics don't have a true effect on) the lymph swelling went down but now i'm having ear,jaw, chest and shooting pain on my head, Has anyone else on here been bitten by a tick prior to these symptoms????????
I have had this same problem that douglast originally decribed for weeks now with no real relief.  Ear pressure with the Jaw pain.  I have been doing everything I could think of to get rid of it, practically dislodged my jaw feeling that it was "out of place" or needed a good pop as well as every ear med known to man.

Basically star queen, from the post above, hit the nail on the head, could not have been more right!  I had been trying to fix the wrong thing.  It IS the eyes that are causing problems with the jaw and ear pressure, I guarantee that most of you have some sort of eye issue on the side of your ear pain.  My excessive eye drainage(strain) comes from staring at a large computer display hours on end...  Please read the post(copied below), it has helped me tremendously.  Thank you star queen!

by star queen, Oct 20, 2006 12:00AM
Also, relating to the eye causing causing this pressure in ears and jaw...

Especially if your taking any other meds, drink a lot of caffine or if you stare at a computer screen a lot, DRINK TONS OF WATER!!!  I personally take adderall (adderrall), drink caffine and am always on the computer -perfect recipe for dry eyes!

If you don't have enough water in your system to constantly keep your eyes moist (blinking), the tube (whatever it's called) that drains your eyes to the back of your throat can get clogged and the only place for it to get clogged... is right over the inside of your ear/jaw.  

Eye drops and a regular amount of water has completely cleared this up for me.  Not saying this is what is going on for everyone with this problem but it sounds like it should help most of the posts I've read here.  Please let me know if this has helped anyone else.
I have these symptoms, and I think you may be right.  I just remembered at my last eye exam I was told I have dry eyes.  I'm supposed to use eye drops every day...  Thank you for sharing your experience.  I'm going to make sure to drink plenty of water and start using my eye drops again.
Did you ever have a root canal or filling in the last lower molar.  I had a root canal that was not done properly.  Had to pull the tooth because of infection.  After, the ear felt fine.
I have been suffering from all the above for the last seven years. I am totally depressed with it. What good are these ENT specialist if they can't treat this problem. I have been going around the bend visiting my JP, ENT specialist and Maxillofacial specialist. I have also spend lots of money to private dentists to see if my teeth are causing the problem. I had lots of X-rays done but they showed nothing. My jaw is clicking so much. My neck and head are always hurting me. All this is at the right side of my head.It is driving me nuts. I used to be such a happy and jolly person but not anymore. I am always miserable.  I sometimes wonder whether I am walking around with a tumor in my head. I no longer want to visit my GP with this problem. I worry that he might think that I am neurotic. I am bloody fed up and sick with this pain and problem. I am forever on antibiotics - every three months. My bloodpressure is sometimes all over the place, mostly too high. 207/97. Is there anybody there who could help me? About three years ago,  I was also diagnosed with asthma and am taking medication for this.  My nose is constantly blocked. Basically I am in a right old mess -  ear infections - blocked nose (sinuses) - jaw clicking- pulling of muscles in the jaw, mouth and palette, pain in neck, shoulder and  head. I am suffering from this very day, every minute every second and for the last seven year.
I have fullness in my left ear and excruciating pain in my left jaw. It inhibits jaw movement, and my teeth feel really misaligned. Before it got really serious, i was under a lot of stress and felt that i was clenching/ grinding my teeth more than normal. I diagnosed myself with TMJ and I really think that my jaw must have dislocated or something causing this fullness/ pain in my ear and my teeth don't fit like they're supposed to. I'm uninsured so even if i do have TMJ (can you guys tell me if this sounds like TMJ?) is there something i can do about it at home, like crack my jaw back into place?

thank you so much <3

thank you so much <3
Hello Fellow Sufferers--I've been dealing with all of these symptoms off and on for years--assumed they were random migraines and sinus infections. Then this year I started getting a steady cycle of migraines and radiating, contracting pain all over the left side of my face, neck, shoulders.

I was blessed/fortunate that my doc recommended a headache institute in San Antonio. I learned that my nerves--one in particular called the vagus nerve that affects the ear and all sorts of other stuff--was out of whack.

Try these and see if you get any relief--try as much as you can to keep your neck in a neutral position--I teach and am on the computer A LOT, so I had to take breaks and wear a neck brace to keep the weight of my head from irritating my neck. If you can, Lie down every couple of hours ON YOUR SIDE--make sure your head is supported and in good alignment with your spine. Rest/relax for 10 minutes--use biofeedback or meditative CDs.

I get horrible eye twitching sometimes when I have to use the computer--this relaxed when I took the 10 minute breaks and laid on my side...

keep your chin up or in a neutral position as much as possible. Apply cool gel packs because that will soothe the nerves; heat will energize the nerve.

I love my chiropractor, but this issue is nerve and not body alignment, so possibly best to stay away from chiro while dealing with nerve issue. Acupuncture can help and a massage therapist who doesn't pull or try to manipulate your neck could help.

Raise computer monitor or sit lower so that you are looking slightly up at it. Use your eyes to look down instead of your whole head.

Odds are, it's all in your neck. We don't realize how often we look down with kids, computer, texting, etc. Pay attention to how often you are looking down. Chin up!  

Good luck! Also, vitamin B2 and Magnesium are supposed to aid in nerve repair/support
i get most of these symptoms too..
   9yrs back i had been operated for haemangeoma, they were abnormal blood vessels clusters located between the muscles of my right jaw, and when i clenched my jaw the area protruded, anyway thats gone now since i was operated..
   now im 22 and since last year on n off i can hear this ticking noise in my ear at night like a heartbeat.. also i get frequent hedaches, which causes my neck muscles to ache and also the area around my right jaw and below the ears, temples of my head, n also ear pain, but its not like inner ear ache,its a different kind of pain.
    i did go back to the doctor to check if heamangeoma was back, but after the xrays and doppler test(like ultrasound test), but the everything showed that i am normal.
   i started these problems as i joined work, and goin through alot of stress.
   now i feel this pain everytime, i am too tired or exhausted, too stressed, or if i get a cold.
   i dont have any problem eating n theres no clicking sound when i eat, i have no problem openin my mouth as wide as i can.i feel the need to clean my ears with cotton ear buds, as i feel that help reduce any pain, or maybe this is just in my head. :P
    i do use the laptop alot, and many times i dont sleep on time.
   i also have a small problem with my vision, when im tired mostly in the evening, i cant seem to focus at things quickly, objects appear blur for like 5-6 seconds till i make my eyes focus on the object, but the doctor suggested to wear glasses (0.25) so now i can see at night withnout any problems.
    does anyone feel the same symptoms? can someone tell me whats wrong with me?

thanks..
I think you all should get your magnesium levels checked...I have the same issues and kept landing myself right in the ER cause I felt like I could pass out any second twice my magnesium levels were low they gave me an IV drip and sent me home and I felt a little better. Now I sit here feeling crappy waiting to see my doctor tomorrow hoping he puts me on something to help.
UGH, I am not alone.  I am sorry to hear of all the other sufferers but am thankful I am not alone and crazy.  I have had all the same ear and jaw pain for years and nothing has cured it.  I do take regular allergy meds with IBU or Tylenol when the pain is bad enough.  I was unaware of a potential eye issue until reading an earlier post.  Thinking back I left eye was "draining" all day the day before my fullness and pain started again. Next stop with by my eye doctor.  
Well this has been sort of comforting, in that i now see I'm not the only one having this ear fullness and jaw issues that ENT's cannot diagnose.  I have had shrill tinnitus for about three years. I have had a class 3 malocclusion with edge to edge bite. I had braces to fix this, and surgery was suggested as an ideal option. They opted for a conservative orthodontics only route. Not sure that there is a relation, but since I've had a mild, unsatisfactory over-jet created, the fullness in the Eustachian tubes has gotten a lot worse. Of course there may be no relation, but I'm suspicious, as my ENT can find "no inner ear disease". I am having a hard time convincing the physicians i see that this is no ordinary tinnitus, and that I'm not being oversensitive to it. Now the constant feeling of clogged tubes is really making me wonder if there is a connection. Its changed my life completely. Nice to see that I'm not the only one struggling.

Dan
Incidentally, I had also had sinus congestion and pain for many years. Last year I had functional endoscopic surgery of the upper sinus and it helped a lot. I had to ask for it after a decade of being prescribed corticosteroid sprays that didn't help. The surgery has dramatically reduced the clogging and pain I had every day. Alas, this has not helped with the fullness in the ears or the tinnitus, and it's been a year and half since surgery.

Dan
Did your doc ever figure out what was wrong?
Hi I'm 16 and had the same trouble for at least 2 years, i have an uncomfartable feeling under my ears like there is some weight and my jaw is uncomfartable, i occasionly hear strange sounds like electricity down my ears and oventually my nosebone (between the two nostrils) r tight. I've checked a GP a few times and they were useless and didn't say there was a problem. I've even had yellow liquid early during my experience with this tightness coming out of my left ear, i went to hospital and i was told to put cotton to stop the leak. I also got bullied in school about that cotton so i've suffered a great deal. I also keep feeling the need  to move the muscles under my ears and push the base of the nosebone i mentioned (which i hear and feel a breaking click). Doctors have not done well diagnosing me during the years, personally i feel like many doctor think too much about there well paid job to make much of an effort checking me up carefully. My dad is a doctor but he keeps saying its normal or fine, but i don't think he understands. If there is anyone who knows a name for this symptom can they please let me know so i could look into it, even describing the symptoms are hard.
I had a hearing and tympanogram test done today because of ear fullness. The results showed normal pressure readings in my middle ear. Does that rule out Eustachian tube dysfunction?
Just the other night my teeth started aching, then my jaw felt sore and my ears felt plugged.  The next morning when I woke up my head hurt, my teeth ached, my ears ached and were plugged and it was hard to swallow. My glands under neath my throat were even swollen. I have never felt this kind of pressure in my ears and jaw that wont go away. I have taen everything and more to stop this most uncomfortable pain. Help me. PLEASE....  Nic2112
In a moment of fury I screamed out very loud, since then I have this sensation of "fullness" or pressure in the ear / eustachian tube. I have several of the symptons described here. It is driving me mad. I am suffering for over 10 years now and no solution till far.
Some people here might suffer from Ménière's disease.
It is  usually characterized by the 4 symptoms.
1) Periodic episodes of rotatory vertigo or dizziness.
2) Fluctuating, progressive, low-frequency hearing loss
3) Tinnitus
4) A sensation of "fullness" or pressure in the ear.
Oh my god!!!! I am reading it again and I think I have TMJ instead of an Eustachian tube problem. This matches with my loud screaming which you need to open your jaw for. and the EarNoseThroat specialists who did not have a clue what it is all about.
Me too!  I went into the Dr. complaining of head pressure down the back of my head and top of my head and he diagnosed me with a sinus infection and fluid in the ear (infection).  I went on 2 full weeks of antibiotics that seemed to clear up the head pressure thing, but my left ear still has fullness after a month.  It is very bothersome.  It gets a bit better and then, bam it's back to feeling full and full of pressure again.  I am also gettting a return of the headaches, but instead on the top and side of my head.  I have sinus drainage down my throat, but Dr. (3x) has told me my ear is shiny and clean...no infection.

I also get tingling or tighness in my neck on that side and in my face, which comes and goes. And I had a dizzy spell in July, and still occassionally feel "off" balance or dizzyish.  I do not believe that I have any hearing loss, or tinnutis, just fullness and very uncomfortable.

Now to be fair, I do have MS that could account for dizzy spells or tingling, but the drainage and ear pressure and possibly even the head pressure seem abnormal.  I am being treated for Hypothyroidism and appear to be in "normal" levels, so that should not be the problem, and I sometimes get Acid Reflux, which may also be unrelated.

Some Vitamin supplements seem to help (B Complex, D and Magnesium), and Mucinex D with a hot steamy shower brings some relief, but it never fully goes away...just less intense and minus the face and neck tingling.  

I will def. try the eye drops, because it can't hurt and I did have a filmy eye situation a little while back.  I am also willing to try the resting and cool gel packs.  If these don't work any idea what kind of allergy I might be looking for?  Food?  Other?  I am not aware of anything I am allergic to other than maybe Spring Dandelien Fluff.  Over the past 5 years I have has numerous sinus infections.  I am looking for any help, as this is very uncomfortable and takes my focus from so many other things.
I have a problem in my ear. Long time when I was child, I had bad headace and fever, the headace transfered to losing balance and ringing of my right ear. I visited Dr so many times (my home country (ethiopia) and in Italy) but I did not get any solution  to ringing  my ear and losing my balance. Recentely (before 4 months), my ear not only riniging but also paining me a lot and my jaw also started paining me.I have an appointment with specialist within this weeks, but if you have any solution please help me.
I am 14 and when I chew I feel a pop in my right jaw and now my ear is bugging me when i chew on foods. What should I do?
I don't know; if, anyone is still reading these comments as of now. I just ran across this site in December 2010.  Anyway bibi2, I am right with you. What good are these doctors; if, they can not diagnose what is wrong with us. I have been suffering for years and just lately, I had problems with my left ear, jaw bone, neck etc.  I know I have tmj but this is different. My tmj doctor said, " live with it, deal with the pain!"  this sadden me. I could take pain heck, I gave birth, had brain surgery, foot surgeries, etc. this is a different kind of pain that consumes me daily and I can not function anymore. Deal with it..what a joke!  Shoot me with a numbing injection daily may help...but I need a cure.  I know  something is utterly wrong..maybe clogged arteries, ear feels full from working on a loud machine.  ENT (workmen's comp. dr. ) says I am okay...yep... he would say that.  I lost my will to live a normal life. I am a fighter and held on for such a long time that my spirit is weakening and my bills aren't being paid. Can't work much..nor do I want disability...couldn't get it anyway. Someone out there know of a good New Jersey doctor.  I forgot...I have not insurance... well, no one wants to give full time jobs anymore.  Getting sick of the medical conditions in America.. JJF
I just stumbled upon this group as I am in moderate pain of course if I keep my mouth closed.

I was walking through the mall with my family and all of a sudden for no reason ear started killing me and my jaw felt out of socket.  It felt like a good slap on the side of my face.  It began to numb and felt like my ear was seeping.  It wasn't.  Lately I've been having constant trouble with my eyes and I have cluster headaches, PTSD (Desert Storm/ Kosovo/ Iraqi Vet/ USMC retired).
I take meds in which I've been on for years so can't be new meds.  My teeth don't hurt but if I close my jaw together it kills my jaw and ear.  There is pain in my neck, front and back and only when it first "attacked" me, I felt a little dizzy.  
Can someone help please?  Respectfully, T
(to doug's original problem) dose anyone with that same problem sleep with a humidifier? Because this could be a problem even though they are good to use when you have a cold, it is not good to use them all the time. For they can cause bacteria and mold even though you clean them regularly.
Basically, what i think the problem is, is that there may be sinus issues and allergy issues also
I'd say, ditch the humidifier, go to the drs. get an antibiotic and a steroid nasal spray, maybe even a oral steroid and see if this helps
If it dose help? i would get an allergy test done and maybe you can prevent any future complications...... good luck to all
when i chew food or gum my left ear will hurt like hell and my cheeks will too sometimes. only when im chewing tho it recently just started and when i stop chewing from the pain the pain stops. is this TMJ? not really sure even what TMJ is but it seems most of you are describing similar things as me. can anyone help me out? e mail me at ***@**** thank you
Im 23 and for the past two weeks I have been having very sharp pains underneath the right side of my jaw,where my glands are.Both of my glands are swollen,but my right side is far worse.It has twinge into as if it was a sharp nerve in it at times.Also,my throat seems to be getting a little tighter,almost feels like there is a knot in my throat,and there is muscus constantly draining in my sinuses.I dont know what will help.
I had a bad cold and a respiratory infection. after that I felt severe pain in my air. I had to take antibiotics until the pain was gone.  My ear pressure was ok when checked by my ENT. My ear infection went away but the boothersome fullness and hearing loss was still there.I had these same symptoms for 2 weeks now. An MRI was ordered. No tumors or any of that sort but the result was (incomplete opacification of the right mastoid air cells present) this is something related to the bone and cavity behind the middle ear. I have to see my doctor to get the proper antibiotic treatment as i was told by the MRI doctor. This sort of problem could not be seen by normal ear tests as my ear looked completely fine to my ENT..I am afraid it will take a while to heal. I hope not. I am from Jordan and the quality of medicine here is one of the best. I hope my answer would help you as i was looking for answers myself before the MRI.
Raed
Hello my name is Jay i'm 29 and I live in San Antonio I was in a huge I.E.D explosion in 2006. Ever since I have had problem left and right. I lost my left left above the knew and also some broken bones and a list of other injuries and sickness ever since. To add to the mystery of how the body works, recently I have had some stress problems lately and I have notice that I don't stay as sleep as usual. My muscles tighten even more when I try to sleep. I have also been to the dental clinic where I was told that I have been grinding my teeth in my sleep. That's when I found the link between my ear pressure as well as my jaw pain. I have had this happen to me twice already and I think the answer is a mouth guard and some muscle relaxers like Zanaflex is not an opioid and you will have the best sleep in the world. Pls make sure to ask your doctor if zanaflex is right for you first lol. If anybody knows how else to relieve stress and stiffness during sleep pls help me.

p.s Do you guy's think that this problem also contributes to people in Hot weather doing the winter month's.
  I have been suffering from fullness in my left for four years now.  With in the last couple of years I have also experienced dizzy spells, ringing in my ears, pain on the left side of my face, nausea, chest pains and a heart palpitation; which all seem to be symptoms of Meniers disease but my ENT said it wasn't because I have no hearing loss and in fact have better than average hearing.  I have had Head CTs, MRIs, and multiple ear tests and no answers.  It is causing depression and anxiety on top of daily pain.  I am going to try eye drops like someone recommended, but I was unsure if over the counter ones would work or not.  I will also be looking into TMJ again, even though the dentist, nor the ENT seem to think that that is the reason. I will try to update everyone on the results of these and see if I find something to stop the pain.
Hi I am going through this exact thing. I am off to the doctor to see if they can help me. I have pressure in my ear for over a week (and yes i have tried all the little tricks) and it came along with the sore jaw. I cannot close my left side of my jaw fully it is kind of like it is dislocated (same side as the ear pressure). I know that i didn't do anything to dislocate it. I get sharp pains in my ear when i sneeze. I am healthy otherwise. I don't have a cold and i have excellent hearing and my eye sight is great. Just kind of strange and very annoying as eating is now a chore. I will post when i find out what's going on. I hope this will go away too.
For the last week. i have been in some serious pain. It started on the left side, my ear and my jaw at the same time.. My left ear is swollen, my cheek, jaw, and part of my neck is swollen as well..2 days ago, I woke up and it has moved to my right side as well, same symptoms, Sore ear, painful jaw, swelling. I went to the ER last night to try to get some sort of help, The Nurse called me back to check my vitals, then attempted to look in my ears. The Right ear, she said was a mess, obviously something wrong there.. then she went to the left, She grabbed the top of my ear, and shortly after, my ear lobe and attempted to put that light scope thing in my ear to see inside. It didnt work. She told me that my left ear is swollen shut. She went back to the PC and told me that She knows i am in alot of pain.. there isnt anything she can do for me Until they are able to call me back for the Doctor to see, and that would be at LEAST, 8 to 12 hours. Needless to say.. with the screaming kids, the cell phones.. the loud people and so forth, I went home.. I couldnt handle all the noise. I have been taking Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Aleve, Sudafed and ear drops to try to ease the pain at least to a tolerable point. It is now to the point where i can not open my mouth very far.. i cannot close my mouth all the way at all. Its almost as tho my teeth or jaws do not line up correctly anymore. I am in constant pain, which is progressively getting worse. I have looked up various sites Online trying to find ideas for Home remedies for this situation, but i am not sure that ANY of them are actually safe to use. Some say Olive oil and garlic oil in the ear...some say Vinigar...some say Campho Phenique ... others say Peroxide.. and one or two actually said to use your own urine in your ear. Not sure how safe that would be.. or even if i could bring myself to be able to drop Urine in my ear.. sounds rather gross to me. BUT.. I am Almost desperate for ways to get this to stop and get rid of the pain and swelling.

Please.. Anyone..... I need help.
My symptom is similar. Never had ear problems until the end of December. Starts off with a pressure or a swelling feeling under my ears...which at first i thought was my lymph nodes or glands...but after seeing doctors im told that my glands are fine. Then my ear felt pressure and then I got a ear infection. First doctor told me that it was in my canal and majority of these kind of ear infections are from putting qtips in your ear...or having water in your ear. I definately was not swimming in winter...however, i do sometimes you qtips...but have done that my whole life. This ear infection gave me the worst pain for 1 whole week. I tried everything nothing would help. I went to the ER once because it was so bad...i didnt think it was normal. I was prescribed another ear drop there and sent home. After a few days my ear pain finally went away and it felt like my ear finally was better. However, it still felt wierd...like something was far far in there like fluid or something. I let it go...and felt better as long as the pain was gone....then almost a month later i felt the same uncomfortable filling where my ear and jaw meet...and then my ear just clogged. no pain this time just a clogged ear. I went to the doctors again...and she said my ear was filled with pus and she could not see in it....so she referred me to a ENT to have it suctioned out. He did clear it out and it felt slightly better....then the next day it started to plug again...this went on for two weeks...i finally went back and he suctioned my ear again...and gave me nasal spray and ear drops...a frew days after that it went away. I actually started to feel well for a week...then i started getting a feeling of off balance...and then I had to dizzy spells...like vertigo. I went to the doctor again and they gave me dizzy medicine...mean while i still dont have my ear feeling a hundred percent it sounds like wood a little. And then it went away...and a week later I am feeling the pressure in that same spot where jaw meets ear. and it actually feels like it might clog again. so irritating. Wish I knew what it was.
Similar problem but different history:

A bug flew into my ear while i was sleeping at night a couple of months back. We called an ambulance as it was alive and really painful when it flapped its wings. they said they cant help and i have to wait till morning and see a GP so i killed the bug by putting some oil in my ear. Next day the GP tried to syringe it out using warm water but it didnt work. she gave some antibitic (antibiotic) ear drops and a salie solution (EarClear). All went well for a week and then i started having severe pain in my ear. I was put on oral antibiotic which releaved the pain. Since then i had constant ringing in my ear. i was continually using ear clear to remove all parts of the bug from inside.  Yesterday i had slight pain in my ear whole day, today when i woke up the jaw was hurting badly and i had difficultly in chewing and clenching my teeth. My GP is not available till next wed. I am wondering if this will go away or i need to see a specialist.

I am a student the GP in uni is cashless for me but for the specialist i need to shell out money from my pocket and reimburse it back from insurance company, which i dont want to until its something very serious
I have read most of these comments and have not read of anyone with slurred speech.
I am writing for my husband. He has had ear ringing for three weeks. That stopped. Then he started with jaw tightness, slight intermittent sore throat, mucus in back of throat, occasional discomfort when swallowing liquid. Now his speech has become slurred. All of this developed over the past 5 months. He's seeing an ENT Thursday. Our GP doctor thinks my husband has a neurological disorder and ordered a brain MRI. Please...does anyone have any comments.
Belladonna57
3 weeks ago i got this flu cold kept me to cough and my nose ran green come out long  that cause my teeth gum nerve to hurt i started taking medication that doctor describe me, that cough has went away and my nose runs and cause my teeth hurt is nerve on the gum. I just trying everything get this pain go away is one of the new flu systems that cause it the best is take the vitamins A,B,C,D,E,F witch one is better for you, soon i get this cold over has to take it course that new colds you get not much doctor work it way threw.
I had the same problems as many of you describe here, pain in the jaw, worsening when I bite down and pain in my ear. I read this thread before I went to the Dr. and was worried I'd never find out what I had like many here. Bottom line, for me any way, I had wax buildup that went into the ear canal. (maybe some trapped water behind it too) All this caused pressure on the nerve and pain. Doc. removed the wax, INSTANTANEOUS RELIEF!
I also am experiencing jaw pain.  It does not get worse on chewing.  Touch at the site of the jaw joints is what really hurts.  If any pressure is applied there it will continue to hurt for  long time.  I have both arthritis and a bad case of Fibromyalgia.  Pain throughout my entire bady seems to only get worse year after year.  I am on Cymbalta and take vicodin for my pain.  I can not take arthritis medication as I am also on blood thinning medication.  No one seems to help me with anything.  I truly as ready to give up!  
I was having serious pain in the area of my jaw and left ear, gave me a migrane (migraine). It wasn't sensitive to the touch, but it hurt really badly when I triend to bite down fully- my mouth wouldn't close on that side without terrible pain. At first, I thought that I had slept with my mouth open and jaw popped out overnight and it was sore. After a couple of weeks of only slight improvement I discovered this list. Then one day I went swimming and afterwards I noticed a change- some tension had been relieved and I got the sense that what was bothering wasn't my jaw bones but my sinuses. I went to the pharmacy to buy some liquid used to remove ear wax and eventually had less and less pain. Today I did an ear candle and I am not experiencing any pain. Something doesn't feel 100%, like I'd be susceptible to the same thing happening again, but I don't have any pain. Good luck!
I have similar problems for almost 6 months. My pains are more extensive: Face, jaw, neck, ear, tooth pains, headache, chest pain/fullness, difficult with swallow... I went to three doctors. the first doctor said it was sinus infection, gave me antibiotics. I seemed feel better after took the antibiotics. A couple of weeks later, the similar symptoms came back again. I had ear pain, sometimes inside the ear, sometimes behind of the ear, with both ears; I had facial and neck pains; and also heart burn, throat and chest discomfort. I went to doctor again (in March), did allergy tests and came back negative; doctor again gave me antibiotics. After took the antibiotics, I didn’t feel immediately better  but the symptoms seemed go away over time. Began from July 7th, I have experienced these pains again. I have strong pains with face, tooth and discomfort with ears and plus short of breath, throat and chest discomfort. This time I went to different doctor, he is confident that I have GERD. The doctor let me buy some over-the-counter acid reducer, and gave me some food choice suggestions. I am still having the symptoms while taking the medicine; I have less ear pain now but throat and chest fullness make me so depressed, I have scary thoughts about what's wrong with me?!!. Anybody who has/had GERD please share your experience?  
Hello all...the last few weeks I have feel a pressure behind my left ear and its on and off but not constant.  It doesn't happen all the time and probably is more pronounced when I am laying down.  Any ideas as to what this might be?  My ear does feel clogged as well...
well all my problems started back in feb 2011, i had yawed and i got a sharp pain in my lower jaw on the left side, well my ear swelled shut on me in a few minutes, and i got sick that day and was in bed with a real bad cold or something, well from that day forward i have had a ear ache off and on and consent poping in my ear, and my whole lower left jaw is sore to touch and my month  onthe same side feel swollen, along with my tounge, i get sharp pains right behind my ear at the base of the skull. i have no idea what it is, i went to the doctor 3 times in the past couple of months first they gave a me sinus meds no luck, then a z pack no luck now stuff called noist, for a month no luck either. and am lost on this and it is bugging me real bad, and has me worried too, had a real good friend had a ear ache for over a year then went to the doctor found out he had cancer and only made it a few months, so yes i am very worried
I experience the exact problems as yours and through reading the rellys Ive come up with a possible help. I went to an ENT but he only gave me sinus medications that helped with the mucus but I still feel t he fullness in my ear.
Some overseas doctors recently visited at clinic and I explained to them I still feel the fullness in the jaw area. He gave me the anti inflammatory medication IBUPROFAN which, to my surprise is a treatment of TMJ. Info on TMJ is found on this site. Hope the medication help me, if it does I ll be sure to make you know.
http://www.medicinenet.com/temporomandibular_joint__disorder/article.htm
I seem to be having the exact same issue.  I am wondering, does your pain increase when you lay down?  Mine does.  I think you are farther a head of me in the investigation.  Look forward to hearing how you resolve.
Reading through these from so many frustrated people, led me to post this..... I have a possible explanation for many of you,  I had the EXACT same symptoms off and on for years (and still do occasionally)  Typically, the pain is usually on one side of my neck/throat, below my ear ... right where my jaw bone and neck come together below the ear.  The pain radiates into the ear and isn't necessarily connected with chewing or movement of the jaw but it can be worse when things are moving around.  A VERY POSSIBLE explanation for the pain (and it was for ME) is that the pain could be coming from a TONSIL STONE in your throat (Google "tonsil stone" to find more info about it). From what I've been told, tonsil stones can be caused by post-nasal drip (allergies) and other things in food, etc. in the mouth and throat that get caught in the pockets of the throat and/or tonsils and the nasal drip/food caught in the pockets turn to hard balls of bacteria that get lodged inside one of the pockets of the throat.  These stones are more common than most people know because our body dislodges them from time to time without us even knowing ..... but SOMETIMES these "tonsil stones" get stuck in one of the pockets in the throat and just get bigger and bigger.  (And you don't have to have tonsils to get tonsil stones.  In fact my tonsils are very very tiny, and I still get them.)  One of the things that I have found helps counteract the tonsil stones is nasal spray and also scrapping my tongue (after or before I brush my teeth) as far back into the throat as I can reach without gagging.   For some reason, doctors never think of tonsil stones when they are examining the patient complaining about the pain in the ear, but my doctor found the tonsil stone while she was pressing on the tissue in the back of my throat just to figure out where the pain was coming from and out popped this HUGE ball of bacteria.  (I know YUCK!)   The doctor was shocked too and had no idea what it even was.  When it popped out though, It was instant relief .... the pain was instantly GONE.   I know now that I am prone to getting these tonsil stones and know what the pain feels like when I get it.   Talk to your dentist or ENT about what can be done.  I know that scrapping my tongue and using a certain kind of mouth wash (that can be ordered through the dentist) helps tremendously.  I hope this suggestion helps someone out there because I remember how frustrated I was when I wasn't getting any answers from my doctors about the pain in my ear.  Good luck!!
Hi, belladonna57

I also sometimes have discomfort when swallowing liquid. I've started having speech difficulties slowly. Often say some wrong words--meant to say one thing, but said another; or the right words couldn't come out mouth right away, or couldn't find the right words... I wonder how did your husband visit to doctor, what was the result of MRI, any diagnosis about the symptoms? thanks, piangoaway727
About 6 weeks ago I got a bad cold, it was different than any other cold I have ever had!  I was very weak for days after.  I had a weird headache then I started getting cramps all over the body even in my neck and in my 49 years never had neck cramps. Then questioned if I was having a stroke. My ears started hurting I thought I was getting an ear infections because my sinuses were so bad with my cold. Since then the base of my skull and my right ear aches at this point its affecting my jaw and down in the right side of my throat almost if its swollen. Maybe its TMJ?  I have had tetanus before and it feels like that.  Just guessing and researching and waiting to see if it passes.
my recomendation to everyone with jaw/ear/toothe/facial pain is to make sure your doctor checks for oral cancer as all of those are semptoms of it and bieng as persistent as they are it seems like something more persistant than your simple allergy or nasal drainage problem
sorry about the spelling and bab grammar lol im so tired
I have the similar problems as you.  Went to a GI and had all the testing done, everything came back normal.  Im also saying the wrong words and thinking wrong.  Ear aches, ear fullness, dizziness, chest tightness, headaches, muscle aches, & now Ive been having sore throat for a week now.  Did you ever get it figured out?
Have you by any chance been lying in bed with your head on a pillow so your jaw is touching your chest for a long period of time?  This is how I got it and I knew that's what I was doing before I came here.  When I read all the med advice I thought I bet it's just that wacky position.  I am now ready to wait for it to disappear. I also use earplugs.
I currently have the same issue..back of the jaw, right under the ear feels swollen..problem is, I know what caused it the very first time it happened to me as a kid..I was blowing up a long skinny balloon without stretching it first and air was forced into the inside of my cheek/muscles through those saliva holes at the back cheek..

now 31, I just woke up with the same feeling but, I don't recall, as unfortunate as this sounds, blowing anything..although, I DID smoke some weedand I blow it out the window with a bicycle seat post, I can't be certain but, I may have almost blew the smoke out before getting to the window and held it in, kind of like holding in a sneeze..so that actually may have been what forced the air into my, for lack of a better word, jowels..

I don't really know what to do to make the semi-pain/uncomfortableness go away other than pressing on the swollen glands/muscles to try to force some air out, not too hard..I don't really know what's going on in there and I don't want to "pop a balloon" of sorts inside my face..

I have noticed myself over the years to be susceptable to this condition at different times with different levels of pressure inside the mouth/lungs..from that first time I gave my all and almost passed out from trying to blow up that balloon so hard, to trying to stiffle a cough at the last second by keeping my mouth shut, to even blowing out a candle once..

the holding in a cough situation might have been the culprit this time but, it didn't bother me until this morning..usually it's noticable quite quickly..

either way there is no reason to be bothering a doctor with such issues..
My right ear has been killing me off and on for more than 3 months. The pain is excruciating, the jaw and bone behind my ear extremely sensitive to even the lightest tough, and the opening of my ear .... I can't even touch it w/o crying. I went to the MD twice, two different MD's actually, and was told that my ear's fine, there's no infection. It was suggested that I not wear the headset I'm supposed to wear at my work (I answer phones all day) as that may be causing it.

I haven't worn the headset for 2 weeks, and the pain is still there.

It'll go away completely for a day or two (sometimes 3) and this last time I thought it was really gone. But today, it's back full force, feeling like an icepick is jamming thru my ear.

I've tried eardrops for earaches, also drying drops, heat, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, vicodin, ice....NOTHING HELPS.

What is going on?
I first started having similar issues to the ones mentioned about 3 years ago.
On and off ive had pressure in the jaw below the ear, ear pressure and occasional pain, slight swelling to the lymph node (all on the right side)

If I remember rightly it started with really bad acid reflux, anxiety was (and still is) an issue, not sure if those two are related though!?!  

I remember one night a few months after my reflux issues, I had this pulsating in my right ear and it felt 'full' as if i needed to pop it and the other symptom was pressure in my jaw below the ear.

I only had that pulsating that one time and it lasted for about 15 minutes, but at this time my anxiety was the worst its ever been, actually now i think of it i have experienced this pulsating feeling when i get shocked but only for a second.

Other things which maybe related is, i do grind my teeth sometimes at night especially after drinking alcohol. The day after drinking i have noticable pressure in my jaw and my lymph node seems swollen slightly.

These are the facts,

Im a smoker
Drinker
Suffer anxiety / stress
Suffer acid reflux
I sometimes have seizures (muscle spasms)
I'm a worrier!

My doctor was giving me medication for acid reflux, i stopped taking medication not long ago because it eased up a fair bit, some changes i made were,
stopped drinking and smoking
stopped eating fatty foods
exercise regularly
ive taught myself to manage my anxiety.

One thing that is interesting is this, at one time i used to panic and think i had something really wrong with me all the time and this actually made it worse.

How about this:
A few weeks ago i actually almost cut out my anxiety and was exercising a lot and i didnt notice any of my symptoms at all for a couple of weeks . Great!
Last night i drank about 7 beers and smoked about 8 cigarettes, I woke up with a major jaw ache and had anxiety all day and its worse than ever.
I've also had a dry throat all day. But actually i think its anxiety and stress that makes it worse than anything else.

My plan is to actually give up smoking and drinking all together and exercise daily and continue to manage my anxiety and stress and see how things are in 6 months.

So there you go, im no doctor but i know my issues and i know whats helped me. Obviously Im not suggesting this will be the case for others but make some changes in your life and it might improve your symptoms, you never know.
Even I am facing the same issues.Can it be related to throat cancer?
I am bit worried but dont have the guts to go to the doctor and check whether I am having some sort of cancer because of smoking :(
Please advise
start from the beggining i would wake up my eyes would be crusted shut alot of pain in my eye it was like it was puss like wierd stuff it would end up in strings across my eyes and i would have to get it out or it would cause great pain i was constantly crying not on purpose then a red bump thing appeared on the side of my eyeball i waited like a week and a half that whent away did not go to a doctor of anykind now 3 weeks later started with a acheyness where my colar bone is and then i got sick congested coughing and ear discomfort I whent to the doctor and explained to her about my eye problem perviously and current symptoms she said i had a throat infection all she did was had me say ahh then she prescribed Azithromycin 50mg tablet never said to check back with her or anything im suppossed to take this three days in a row once a day then she said it keeps working after that for 7 days. i took it the day of my app not really a difference i woke up today with no hearing in my left ear i could hear my heartbeat in my ear pain and going from laying to sitting to anything i can tell stuff is moving around in there my ear has gotten worse since starting anti biotics should i go see her again or wait longer the ear pain has now made the whole left side of my face tender  hurts to chew and i feel out of place at times like my world is tilted on its axis and almost forgot to mention randomly my eye will get stuck open or close and i also explained this to my doctor at my app. any suggestions.
Have you had an auditory examination.  Do you have tinnitus?  If so, you might want ask your ENT about Menieres.  Typical symptoms are tinnitus, aurol fullness, vertigo and hearing loss in the low frequency ranges--at least at the beginning, the hearing loss is progressive, but it is the attacks of vertigo that usually are the most debilitating symptom.
Wash U? wow. They are hesitant to do much. And Midwest Neck Surgery---also basic ENT has one doc that will label you a psych case if he can't figure things out. Try Mercy but avoid their docs assoc with Midwest. They have plenty of others.

Possibly SLU, for a diagnosis, not ongoing treatment. They do tests over and over since they are a teaching hospital.

Hope you find a good one and let me know, I am looking.
I have been "affected" by this for 5 years. At first I thought the dizziness?vertigo was due to stress at work and shrugged it off. I first noticed it on a routine trip to the grocery store near my home, I got out of the car walked up to the median that divides the the parking lot and the store and I couldn't move. I noticed that I was having problems focusing on things, people and spaces.
I didn't notice the ear/jaw pain because it wasn't noticeable at first, well when compared to my dizziness/vertigo. I saw my doctor and was diagnosed with depression with anxiety attacks, was put on Paxil and left to figure the rest out on my own(as usual). The medicine made me not care so the panic attacks were almost completely gone but the symptoms were still there. I was put on Wellbutrin, and Zoloft with the same results.
That's about when the ears started to not feel normal and was told they were fine, it was all in my head.
The feeling is not just a fullness, for me it is like someone left the door open. I have fluttering in my ears, ringing, pain when I sleep fully on my ears(like down the inner cartilage to the jaw bone), lots of wax drainage, clicking in my right side, terrible pain when I eat any tomato based foods, and a itch in my ear.
I started having panic attacks because I just couldn't focus visually or auditory, if i was in out and people were moving and talking I would feel like I was off and a panic would start. These have increased over the last 4 years and have been labeled "agoraphobic". This is bull crap! I have developed a defense mechanism to the dizziness/vertigo that starts when I am moving around(particularly outside of my home).
If i go outside and it is hot and humid, I feel like I am not acclimated/off balance , if I am in a store and a screaming child is near me, loud radios or low frequencies, fast movements(people or things), if i have to stand for any length of time( this I think is caused by my shut-in status), and wide open spaces make me feel off and have a feeling of panic or just plain pass out.

I do have depression because I want to get this resolved and get back to my life, this is so aggravating!!!! I have looked up so many solutions that I am on the verge of screaming if I don't get some relief from this. I am a smoker but don't touch alcohol and I eat healthy. My appetite during the last 2 years has decreased drastically due to the depression but I have been working on building it back up again and trying to exercise regularly.

Is anyone else having this problem? I am gonna make an appointment with an eye doctor to have my eyes checked again and then start again from there.
chewing gum is not a good idea because if the pain is from teeth grinding in the sleep, or tjm than it will only make everything worse.
For the past two weeks I have had pain/ache behind my jaw right below my left ear. I was hearing popping and swooshing sounds, an occasional hacking cough (from what I assumed was sinus drainage and dehydration), random bouts of vertigo and disorientation, and fast forming film and grit in my eyes. Finally gave in and went to see my doctor when I got tired of not being able to chew on that side, was in constant pain, and was having problems seeing because of the grit.

He said it could be any number of reasons (ear infection, tooth/gum infection, eye infection, unknown allergies) that cause drainage down the back of the throat and cause the eustachian tube to swell closed. It feels similar to an over swollen lymph gland which explains the pain when I press on it. I have allergies in early fall and spring but not summer so he doubted it was that, and I had just been to see the dentist and had no jaw or gum infection.

Because the symptoms for every possibility are the same he decided to treat everything. Since I dislike "heavy" drugs except as a last resort he told me to get eye drops (Similasan) in case of a low grade eye infection (I wear contacts and occasionally suffer from dry eye so it is possible there is a scratch on my cornea), Singulair (he also said zyrtec, sudafed, or claritin combined with ibuprofen could work) just in case it was allergies from dust where I work etc, flush my sinuses regularly with saline, use a fluticasone propionate nasal spray every night before bed, prop up on pillows so the drainage will go down a different part of the throat, and drink extra water and hot tea with honey and lemon. With the exception of the nasal spray these are all over-thecounter/homeopathic treatments. It sounds like overkill, but I have been doing this for a day and a half and the worst of the symptoms have already gone away though there is some tenderness still behind my jaw. If that doesn't clear up in a few more days I'm to go in and get a low-grade antibiotic and prescription ear and eye drops if we agree they are necessary to clear up any residual infection my body can't handle on its own.
I have exactly the same thing!!!  For 3 years, I have been trying to get some doctor to take me seriously, that there is something wrong.  I can't focus, see straight or hear, at times.  They all think I'm crazy!  I have this fullness in my ears and it never goes away.  I get pain in my jaw area, in my eyes and in my sinuses.  I've had numerous sinus infections.  When they did X-rays, there was nothing to note.   When the weather changes or we go up in altitude, my ears can't regulate and the 'brain fog' gets even worse.  I've been termed as a severe depressed patient and put on meds.  I just want to be better and your stupid meds aren't going to make me better because the cause is still there!   Who wouldn't be depressed when feeling like this right?
Something in my sinus pops when I exhale.My jaw hurts so bad when i wake sometimes that i can't open my mouth. I had positional vertigo. Sitting on the couch if i moved my head, sent me spinning. If I stood, my son would sometimes have to get me up from the floor. Felt as if someone forced me down. Laying down, if i turned my head, same thing horrible spinning. I have black spects in my eyes...like a swarm of insects..have for four years.not sure if that's related. Also I was working as a nurse and ruptured my c4-c5 and bulging in the rest with degenerative disc disease. My entire nerve base had fallen into a crack in my neck...and the crack has healed..that was years before I ruptured cervical..my jaw really hurts.. and i just don't feel well . Recently seen Dr. Said its allergies..had over 600 leukocytes in urine no bacteria or blood..gave me DS bactrim to treat uti anyway...my eyes are wet..left side nasal  stays stopped up since started antibiotic
I have had all of the symptoms above...can't close one side of my jaw, vertigo, and chronic ear drainage.  I also experienced some other symptoms like pain attacks in my shoulders, wrists, knees, and any other soft tissue that lasted for about 24-48 hours.  But I was finally diagnosed with CLL, and RA.  I did years of research on combating these conditions, especially since the treatment for RA could reduce my chances for surviving CLL chemo.  In the past year, I discovered some amazing Peruvian botanicals that proved very effective in miraculously relieving most of my symptoms.  The one that stopped most of the joint pain was Uncara Tomatosa or commonly called Cat's Claw named after the thorns of the vine from which it is derived.  You might want to get a blood test for RA.  You may also want to just try a bottle of Cat's Claw as it has been claimed to effectively treat MS, and several other immune system conditions.  

I hope this helps someone...I know the sufferings of vertigo, and 10+ scale pain attacks.

God bless and God speed all...

Jon

God bless and God speed all...

Jon
I've had severe ear pain for 2.5 weeks and now I'm experiencing, like many others have said, jaw pain just below the ear, and its causing me to not be able to chew and it excruciatingly painful.

I've been to doctor, and they said give it a week,(that was 2 weeks ago), last night I went to the ER, and they gave me some drops, but I doubt they will help.

After some research(and reading posts here) I think it may have something to do with TMJ.

I'm guessing I need to go see an ENT right?

Similar symptoms:  Ear fullness/pain like it's inside the ear.  The eardrum works well and no ear infection.  Mild hearing loss.  Dizzy/vertigo and feel like I'm drunk without having any alcohol. Occasional nose and eye pain--all on the left side. Pain under the ear by the jaw near the ear, too.  Have had right side migraines for decades.  Have had dry eyes for decades, retina surgery and stomach issues.  Doctors basically said to go home and live with those things, which I did.  However, the vertigo/dizziness is threatening my ability to work at all.  

Went to see a neurologist who suspects vestibular migraine without the headache (didn't know you could have a migraine without the headache).  Also Benign Paroxysmal Vertigo.  I'm impressed with the neurologist--not so impressed with the ENT I was sent to.  Ice on the left side of the head has helped relieve the ear pain and vertigo.  There may be otoliths loose in the ears causing part of the problem and there's vestibular therapy exercises for these, but I've seen not benefit from the exercises.

With vestibular migraine, your vision changes before you get an attack of vertigo/ear fullness, etc., it might be helpful to see a neurologist about vestibular migraine.   However, my attacks come and go and after reading this blog, it looks like I might be trying to learn to live with this just like with the eye problems.
I have experienced the same sort of pain. Where the area by my ear canal has become very sensitive, and painful. Also felt the pang of pain at the back of my throat, and also when I move my jaw.
I visited my General Practitioner, and he has suggested an influx of ear wax, which has hardened, causing uncomfortable symptoms, such as loss of hearing, pain in the ear, and the throat may hurt because of blockage in the Eustachian Tube.
For this, there really is no cure. The best thing to do is put olive oil in your ear, and drain it out, softening the ear wax, then visit your General Practitioner to have your ears cleaned out. Also for the pain, try Ibuprofen and Paracetomol, it can numb down the pain. Hope this helped :)
I've been having this problem too, it started two weeks ago after taking a bath. The next day I had completely lost the hearing in my left ear, along with having a full feeling in my ear just behind it and around my jaw on the left side. I went to a walk-in clinic and the doctor said it was earwax built up (never use q-tips, they just shove the wax further in) that was hardened. He irrigated the ear and a bit of wax came out which alleviated some of the full feeling and a bit of the jaw pain, but I still couldn't hear. He gave me a 3cc syringe and told me to put 1cc of oil in the ear, wait a bit and then rinse the ear out with water using the syringe. Later that day I did and my hearing came back, but I still had the jaw pain and ear pain.

Now the pain and full feeling have come back, and I have been popping my ears non-stop because it feels like it helps a little bit (not with the jaw pain much though). I continued to put oil in my ear and rinse the ear out with water afterwards, but no more wax is coming out when I do, and squirting the water in just hurts even more (plus gives me vertigo).

Just wondering if your ear/jaw problem has gone away, or if it is still bothering you, and if so how long did it take to get better?
I think that sometimes Sudafed and decongestants can elevate BP. They make my own heart speed up, so I rarely take.
I am experiencing this issue now for more than a week. I went to the Doc last week and she said my ear drum just looked a tad sucked in but I had an upper resp and sinus infection. I have taken 2 rounds of antibiotics now. Everything else got better but the ear feels full and the jaw closest to the ear is sore when I yawn or chew. Anyone find out the answer???
I have been diagnosed with CLL, and RA.  My symptoms in my jaw and ear are very similar to many of the posts above, and the symptoms come and go, right side or left, and began years ago with some bouts of vertigo, and even shoulder pain to the extreme..  So far, the doctors have just shrugged the symptoms off.  I have done much research on this problem, and finally when I was exhausted from it all and about to give up, I found a nebulous article on a South American botanical called Cat's Claw, or formally Uncara Tomatosa.  I think I am alive today because of this miracle botanical.  It certainly is worth a try...It completely stopped the shoulder pain, but when I skip a couple of days, it is like tempting fate, and right now, my right side jaw is swollen inside, and my right ear is full of fluid, but is pretty quickly getting better.  I hope this helps someone.  It is definitely worth a try.
...arg...I have/just had this too! My ear totally swollen and left jaw too...almost to painful to eat...please write me back at ***@**** if you have found out what cause it...hope you are better!
From my research, the things I have found are:
acoustic neuroma - a small benign (not cancerous) tumor (99%+ chance of survivablility) that can cause full feeling, pain etc.   This is treated either by observation, micro surgery or gamma knife.
Menier's disease - treatable by medications or optional surgery.
or TMJ - The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is the hinge joint that connects the lower jaw (mandible) to the temporal bone of the skull, which is immediately in front of the ear on each side of your head.

Of course there are 1000 things that could cause these symptoms and anyone who has them should visit the Ear Nose and Throat Specialist.   An MRI with Audiometry performed by an Otolaryngologist will likely reveal the underlying issues causing the symptoms.

Don't be scared; just make sure to follow up on things so you rule out bad things or discover and treat them!  

I am not a doctor but my Wife exhibits these same symptoms and I have done research.   We go to result appt today in about 30 minutes.   I will try to post the result when done.    

Chris in GA   -   08/08/2012
Hi Chris..Just was curious to know whether the problem was diagonised or resolved from your last appt..
I am suffering from the same symptoms since last 2 months. I just had my CT scan last Friday. Awaiting the results..
Have you considered nph or ccsvi? If u have poor drainage from your brain it can cause all kinds of symptoms. Research about atlas orthoganol and NUCCA. Also a neuromuscular dentist for TMD. Also an aqualizer until you can see a neuromuscular dentist. Compressions of the internal jugular along with CCSVI are all on the cutting edge of research right now. Look into this. Good luck.
I have had fullness in my ears for close to two years. I was diagnosed with a compression on the internal jugular at the c1.  researchers are just starting to discover these compressions and beginning to realize how many symptoms they can cause. I feel fluid drain from my ears but the ent can never find anything wrong with the ears. With poor drainage from the brain the hemodynamics in the brain is upset.  an mri should be able to show if the ventricles that store the csf are enlarged. I have had nucca to straighten my atlas and i have a dental splint custom made to fix my bite. We will see if this works over time.  the surgery to fix the compression is still experimental called a styloidectomy. Costs around 60,000
Ive read these posts and can't help but notice alot are similar to the symptoms i started to get beginning of november 2012, it started only with a slight pressure or fullness sensation on my lower left jaw below the ear and jaw line, it sometimes itches and the skin feels almost over sensitive. A few weeks later i was really sick with nausea, abdominal pain, night time chills causing insomnia, and weight loss.

I've gotten better since but the jaw pressure/fullness and itching with some throbbing pain remained, along with fatigue, pressure headaches, blurrier vision, stinging pains usually in abdominal area, inflammed and dry nose and throat (ears seem to produce no wax as well).

Ive gotten blood, urine, stool tests and an abdominal ultrasound, all negative and no concerns from them, so far ive been prescribed flonase for the dry nose which doesnt seem to do anything, but with all these symptoms, i think its an allergic reaction to dust, mold, or even gluten, but theres no way to prove that so far, i dunno what to think anymore
I had pain for two years and did a lot of research on my symptoms without a lot of success.   It all started with a clogged ear and sore jaw joint on the same side.  Over time the symptoms grew to having swollen lymph nodes and tight neck, vertigo and difficulty swallowing.  I saw two doctors, my dentist, an ENT and had an MRI done.   Nobody could figure anything out.  Then I was referred to a Physical Therapist for Jaw problems a TMJ specialist.  I told her my symptoms and she diagnosed that the small disc in my jaw joint was displaces and it took her all of about three minutes to manipulate it back into place, my ear crackled open immediately, music and people sounded clear again, all other pain and swelling subsided in a coupled days. Then I spent 6 weeks, 5 more appointments learning exercises for rebuilding the face and jaw muscles and realigning my jaw movement and bite.  My smile was strait again and the jaw clicking subsided.  Two years of chronic pain, all those sleepless nights, anxiety, Advils. Now all in the past!  A Physical therapist specializing in TMJ is a must on the list of people to seek for answers.

Are you feeling fine now ? I am having exact same issue. I see you posted it long back, checking to see what worked for you finally.

Thanks,
Basky77
I had a stependectomy done on my left ear in June 2013 and since then I have had fullness in both of my ears.Initially when I went back to DR. in late July the Dr. stated he had no idea what it could be and he advised me to take an over the counter antihistamine (which I did - I have no hx of allergies ) and it did nothing . I persisted and then the Dr. said he thought the anestegilogist  may have dislocated my jaw during intubation. He has sent me to Dentist to R/O TMJ ( he is petty much sure it is not TMJ). The surgeon is perplexed - he does not have a clue what could be causing this fullness in both ears. It is now Jan 2014 & we have not gotten any closer to solving this issue ? It has not changed - I sometimes have coughing bouts at nite when I am lying down in bed as well.
Go see a gastro DOC.  It could be your acid reflux.  I know that sounds nuts, but its true.  It took my best friend 34 DR's before he got it figured out.  He had an operation to stop his esophagus from allowing food and acid to get up into his sinuses and it took care of it.  ALL THE SAME SYMPTOMS.  Good Luck, I hope this helps!