Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Recovery Time?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi. I just had FESS about 3 weeks ago. I had a pretty severe case, with nasal polyps and lots of congestion. My surgery took almost 3 hours.  Although, my ENT says that I am about 90% healed, I feel worse than ever. My sinuses are still blocked regardless of how many times I rinse, and I'm experiencing migraine like headaches with tons of pressure between my eyes. I also have an extremely thick postnasal drip and facial tenderness. I have spoken to my ENT, and she doesn't seem to be concerned. Is this a normal part of recovery, or could I be experiencing some complications? I've been trying to wait it out, but it's getting hard because I feel like I'm not getting any better. I'm more congested than ever! It's hard to work or do anything. Any info would be appreciated.
It is rather unusual to be feeling the way you are this far out from surgery.  In fact, most people with severe sinus disease feel markedly improved at this point compared to before surgery...I would encourage you to press your surgeon on this -- either to suggest some additional treatment and/or to rescan your sinuses to assess the results.
Totally agree re. talking to your doc. I have heard stories about rough recovery but 3 weeks sounds excessive.
I am not a doctor but have done a bunch of research on the same topic, for my own condition. Not sure yet if it is right for me but I am encouraged so far about a balloon sinuplasty procedure which is supposed to be easier to recover from.
Not sure if this really helps answer your recovery question but wanted to add my thoughts.
I hope you feel better soon.
--JR
Thanks for the replies. I have been back to ENT/surgeon, and some more X-rays and tests done. Turns out, the surgery has not produced the type of results we had hoped for. My sinus cavities are still pretty inflamed, and are having a hard time draining. My surgeon put me back on antibiotics and steriods, as well as manually trying to decrease the congestion and pressure. I have another app. in the morning, so hopefully I have made some progress, although I feel pretty much the same. Thanks for your help.

D
Glad to hear you got some answers.
Best of luck on a speedy and full recovery.
JR