Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Results: Modified Barium swallow

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Results: Modified Barium swallow

Hi there,

I don't know whether I should post this in ENT or GERD, but here it goes:  I've had throat symptoms now for more than 4 years!  have a history of GERD and had Nissen fundo in 2012.  Still ENT symptoms persisted and went to see an ENT Specialist and was diagnosed with Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction/thickening and spasms.  I have had botillium injections for that and it only lasts about a month and then all symptoms returns.

Got a referral to see a Speech Pathologist and started exercises and did a Modified Barium swallow.

Results of Barium test:  abnormal.  The food gets stuck in my chest (thicker liquids and solids).  Why? she wasn't able to tell me and said that I should just drink liquids while eating.

Great! or not so great as it is not always possible to drink while eating on the go!  If I swallow potato it burns my chest so much to the point that I want to cry!  ice cream is also a nightmare!

Should I just accept this or should I go back to ENT?  GERD Doc?  I have not spoken to the ENT since I've had the test.

Thanks, really appreciate any support and info.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Its best you consult a gastroenterologist. Your symptoms could be due to delayed emptying of the esophagus. According to studies done, delayed esophageal bolus emptying is the predominant component of abnormal acid clearance in patients with gastroesophageal acid reflux GER. The delayed emptying could be causing the burning sensation in the esophagus, due to stasis of acid. This could be a consequence to the surgery, not sure. So, please consult a gastroenterologist and discuss with him if you need further investigations to exactly assess the delayed esophageal emptying. Based on the findings you can plan further course of therapy. Good Luck.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi Doc, I am back and need your help please.  I am at the point that I want to give up the search for a solution, but I can not live like this!  I can not go and see my ENT as we live remote and his offices are 600km from us.

My last botillium injection into the Chricopharegeus was June 2013.  Needless to say that it only worked for 2 months and now all my original symptoms have returned.  

I've been doing all the exercises and amendments that the Speech Pathologist suggested and drinking more water to wash down food.  I can feel improvement in my voice and I am not bothered by the delayed emptying in oesophagus.  Got used to it and washing food down with water.

My major problem for almost 4 years:  I have something in my throat.  It is not a feeling that there is something, I have to literally take my finger as put it way at the back of my throat and push my tongue down to get some relief, for a few seconds!

It really feels as if my tongue is to "high" if that makes any sense to anyone?  Please help.
The Specialist now wants me to go for some bloodtests:  full organic workup or something?

I've never heard of such bloodtests.  Anyone that can offer info?