Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Ruptured Ear Medications during pregnancy

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I was diagnosed with a small perforation in my ear during a sinus infection that continued for about 2 weeks.  I am 21 weeks pregnant yet I was prescribed AMOX-TR-K CLV 875-125 MG along with Ofloxacin ear drops. I am very concerned about the effects of taking these antibiotics during pregnancy and wonder if I should discontinue use and wait and see if the perforation heals on its own.  Nevertheless, the antibiotics have made me feel much better.  Is this a sign that there was infection present?  If so, is it safe to continue the use of these antibiotics?  The warning labels are very scary.  Thanks for your time.
Augmentin is a category B drug for pregnancy (which means it is presumed safe based on animal studies). The ear drops are category C (which is uncertain risk with no studies to prove adverse effects).   Discussing these medications with your obstetrician is appropriate to make sure that you are not going to harm your child. From the exam, the physcian should have been able to see if you had drainage from the ear or if there was obvious infection.  The antibiotics will not heal a perforation, only alleviate the infection and decrease any drainage...which is needed for the body to try to close the hole in your drum.  Best wishes.