Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
Sharp pain on side of neck when swallowing

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi -- this is tough to describe, but I've been getting a sharp pain on the right side of my neck, right under the jaw and not far from the ear. It seems to be triggered by swallowing, or turning my head, or sometimes talking. It's been happening for a few days. I don't get it every time I swallow. There's no lump/lymph node swelling, but when I press deeply in the affected area, it seems that there's some tenderness. I would *not* describe this as a sore throat. I've had those before -- the pain feels like it's not in the throat, just deep in the neck, on the side near the ear. An ENT has been treating me for Sinusitis for a few months -- have had 2 antibiotic courses. The congestion symptoms aren't that bad, but they aren't gone either. Wondering if this could be connected to that -- maybe some kind of inflammation in/near my ear? My worry from Googling is Nasopharyngeal cancer. I've also been noticing spots of blood when I blow my nose for a few months. Seem to be from both nostrils. ENT doesn't seem worried about that, but I am. I'm a 32yo male btw.
Dear nycer56,

Thanks for writing in.

First of all, let me reassure you that it is very unlikely that you are suffering from nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC). There are no symptoms of NPC such as trismus (difficulty in opening the mouth), earache, otitis media, hearing loss, nasal regurgitation, etc. Moreover, the initial presentation of NPC will be presence of enlarged lymph nodes in the neck, which you don't have.

The commonest causes of pain below the jaw and lower part of the ear are eustachian tube block, ulcer in the throat, tonsillitis, pharyngitis and lymphadenitis (inflammation of the lymphnodes).

With respect to your problem, I feel it could be either due to an ulcer in the tonsillar region or Eustachian tube block secondary to sinusitis. But, only after a thorough examination the actual cause can be found out.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Naveen Kumar