Ear Disorders Expert Forum
Hearing loss

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

Hearing loss
I noticed at the age of 25 I was starting to lose my hearing. I am now 40. Two years ago I had my hearing tested by an ENT. He said I had 40% hearing loss and that it was probably genetic and I should check into hearing aids. I told him I can hear perfect after yawning but it only lasts for a few minutes. He said a lot of people say that.
I feel like my hearing has gotten even worse since then. I bet I have 50% hearing loss now. Also I have noticed that after physical exertion I can barely hear at all. Sometimes to the point of total deafness. It only lasts for a few minutes then goes away. If I can hear normal after yawning then why is it a permanent loss? And why do I go almost totally deaf after physical extertion?
Hi Moochie,

You may have a concurrent eustachian tube dysfunction which is contributing to some of your symptoms.  You should consider hearing aids, however, with your degree of hearing loss.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!
I doubt you can hear normal after yawning, better yes, normal no. Get you hearing further evaluated, and get over some denial. Luckily in this day an age, you can never go deaf, due toadvancement in technology.