Ear Disorders Expert Forum
ruptured ear drum

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

ruptured ear drum

How long does the fluid(pus) come out of the ear? And is it normal that the blood and pus is still coming out after 12-14 hrs? When should I worry about it?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If drainage persists for more than 2-3 days, topical therapy (ear drops) may be necessary.  Water must be kept out of the ear. You should see an ENT specialist for a full exam, tuning fork testing, audiometry, and a plan to monitor the perforation for closure.  If the hole persists for more than 3-4 months, surgery may be necessary to close the perforation.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.
I woke up a week ago with laryngitis. Later that day, I began to have pressure in my eardrums. Both ruptured by 10:00 PM. (My left eardrum ruptured around this time last year.) It is very difficult to hear above the ringing in both ears and, despite the fact I am on medication (antibiotics, hear drops, nasal spray, pain relievers), my hearing seems to be getting worse. Should I just be patient and toughen it out for the next two months, or should I see a ENT doctor?