EAR DISORDERS
FORUM
ruptured ear drum
by couture71, Mar 07, 2008
How long does the fluid(pus) come out of the ear? And is it normal that the blood and pus is still coming out after 12-14 hrs? When should I worry about it?
Answer:
Avatar_dr_m_tn
by Eric P Wilkinson, MDBlank, Mar 08, 2008
If drainage persists for more than 2-3 days, topical therapy (ear drops) may be necessary.  Water must be kept out of the ear. You should see an ENT specialist for a full exam, tuning fork testing, audiometry, and a plan to monitor the perforation for closure.  If the hole persists for more than 3-4 months, surgery may be necessary to close the perforation.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.
Member Comments (2)
by Tanya422, May 02, 2008
I woke up a week ago with laryngitis. Later that day, I began to have pressure in my eardrums. Both ruptured by 10:00 PM. (My left eardrum ruptured around this time last year.) It is very difficult to hear above the ringing in both ears and, despite the fact I am on medication (antibiotics, hear drops, nasal spray, pain relievers), my hearing seems to be getting worse. Should I just be patient and toughen it out for the next two months, or should I see a ENT doctor?